San Diego Bay Launch Ramp Options.

Jan 3, 2017
COSTA MESA
Name
Hank
Boat
Small raft
Headed to San Diego Bay for a week - which are the safest launch ramps to use? I was thinking of launching from Shelter Island, but I remember hearing about theft problems a while back. How is Shelter Island launch ramp now days?

Are there any other lauch ramps (mission bay or san diego bay) that you would recommend?

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Lots of other options but that is the closest one to tuna 🍣.
    From South to North in SD Bay proper:
    Chula Vista, Pepper Park, Coronado, Shelter Island
    From Mission Bay (The two that I use) East to West:
    Seaworld, Dana Landing

Reactions: fishboy93
    Upvote 0

whosmatt

Almost A Member
    Feb 25, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    17' self built cc skiff, Daft Boot
    Headed to San Diego Bay for a week - which are the safest launch ramps to use? I was thinking of launching from Shelter Island, but I remember hearing about theft problems a while back. How is Shelter Island launch ramp now days?

Are there any other lauch ramps (mission bay or san diego bay) that you would recommend?
    Shelter island is closest to the ocean and as others have said never a problem. I've heard claims that it is the busiest ramp in the state and I wouldn't be surprised if that's true. It was closed for a year or so while they rebuilt the launch facilities and during that time I used Pepper Park. Nice facility with far less parking but I've never had a problem finding a spot. I still launch there sometimes if I'm not planning to fish.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    My .02¢ is this… Theft can be an issue anywhere, and is probably something we all worry about in some form. With Shelter Island being the busiest, there’s always someone around coming in or going out leaving less opportunity for the nefarious. Sometimes they’re easy to spot and some blend in as anyone else. We’ve all read the reports of gear disappearing on party boats which tells me other fishermen can be just as shady as the tweekers that cruise the parking lots looking for an easy grab. Lock your vehicle, maybe even remove a fuse that would disable it from running, and don’t leave anything of value in your vehicle.

FWIW, parking patrol has got me for more than any thief has over there. I prefer Dana Landing, more parking, less people. And a well equipped tackle shop within walking distance!

Upvote 0