Secutor54

Well-Known "Member"
May 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
AP
Boat
73 Boston Whaler 16'7
Are commercial Fisherman allowed in and out of San Diego Bay? If so, you sport fisherman with a boat in a slip; commercial fishing license is $ 150.00. Go get em boys !
Funny you mention it. I looked it up this morning and I think you would have to pay additional fees to register your boat to fish commercial. It’s around $1,500.

I guess this is more of a question for the commercial guys... would you have to re-register your personal boat to fish commercial?

calicobassguy

No pants on
Jan 8, 2011
Moorpark/CA/USA
Name
Steve
Boat
Bendo
In California, the total number of commercial boat licenses/permits is limited. If you are a recreational fisherman that's the way it should be! In addition to the 1500 boat fee, in most cases (depending on the targeted species) you have to buy the actual commercial license/permit from a commercial boat owner that no longer needs it. You have to buy the commercial boat with the license/permit or pay a lot of money to have the license/permit transferred to your boat.

Last edited:

chachi10

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 28, 2018
San Diego
Name
Chachi
Boat
None
In California, the total number of commercial boat licenses is limited. If you are a recreational fisherman that's the way it should be! In addition to the 1500 boat fee, in most cases you have to buy the actual commercial license/permit from a commercial boat owner that no longer needs it. You have to buy the commercial boat with the license or pay a lot of money to have the license transferred to your boat.
This is not correct. I know a few people who have went from recreational anglers to commercial on their own skiffs. They sure as shit didn't buy anyone's commercial boat or jump through huge hoops to get their boat registered commercially.

But you are correct that it's $1500 for the boat fee and then depending on what species you target and how to target then (rod n reel vs trapping vs harpoon, you need additional licenses for that species which becomes the huge bucks. Also, to anyone looking to use this as a loophole to fish, EVERY angler onboard needs a commercial fishing license or it's considered a recreational trip. Even if it's your kid.

Last edited:

miaf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
There’s also additional safety equipment required based on the type License, how far offshore you fish and boat size, I believe. Maybe a commercial guy could clarify though.

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
, EVERY angler onboard needs a commercial fishing license or it's considered a recreational trip. Even if it's your kid.
The crew licenses are cheaper ...
Been fishin with a rod and reel commercial license most of my life..til this year,🤨.
I never paid for them but I think the last renewal was $170 for my crew license...and that was with a seabass stamp..

af dreamer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
The commercial unrestricted boat license is $387.25,you have to get a business Entity,each crew is $149.09 and a commercial ocean enhancement is $55.36.Depending on what you want to fish it goes up from there.I think that is all you need to commercial fish rod and reel yellowtail,barracuda,bonito white seabass.NO calico,sandbass or spotted bay bass are commercial fish.Lobster is controlled,salmon is controlled net and harpoon swordfish is controlled.Not hard to find the info if you want to use the DFW commercial site.Tom

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
The commercial unrestricted boat license is $387.25,you have to get a business Entity,each crew is $149.09 and a commercial ocean enhancement is $55.36.Depending on what you want to fish it goes up from there.I think that is all you need to commercial fish rod and reel yellowtail,barracuda,bonito white seabass.NO calico,sandbass or spotted bay bass are commercial fish.Lobster is controlled,salmon is controlled net and harpoon swordfish is controlled.Not hard to find the info if you want to use the DFW commercial site.Tom
You left out tuna but you can take as many as you can hold but not in mex....though the price always sucked for bft...
Been a long time since since we did seabass.... I wonder if you can still take 50 per boat .?

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I did on purpose as was not sure what the BFT regs will be.YFT and albies dont think any limit.Tom

Reactions: frazier

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
I did on purpose as was not sure what the BFT regs will be.YFT and albies dont think any limit.Tom
The info I was given was the commercial rod and reel bft fishery doesnt shut down with the quota and no limit...
That's skipper to crew info...never checked myself...these last five years with tuna it has been big fish not big numbers...100 fish days with tuna seems a long time ago..miss that style of fishing...

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
To answer your actual question, yes, the commercial guys have gone out. I was out working today. I was amazed at how many sailboats and a few pleasure power boats were out. Granted most of the sailboats were the “bum boats”, but pleasure never the less. I also watched the police boat pass at least 4 pleasure boats without giving them a look. Yesterday was a ghost town out there though.
Two CG cutters out near the offshore anchorage and the 80 footer on the hook off Harbor Island, but I’m not sure which entity will actually enforce the rule (I would assume police as it is a City or County requirement and not Federal).
Also, many guys (such as myself) have bought the “Commercial rod and reel” permits simply because for about $600 (for the boat and the captain) because it qualifies your craft as a “commercial fishing vessel” (without all the rules and regs of “real” commercial vessels) in order to qualify for the Carl Moyer engine grants (I.e. essentially free Diesel engine repower).
I never actually went ahead with the repower even when I was approved, but it was nice to have the option for only $600 a year.

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Visit site
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Things have changed this year. Rod & Reel Commercial Fishing licenses were about $600/year covering your personal license, the $55 Ocean Enhancement Fee, and your Boat Permit. However, if you didn't have a Commercial License in 2019 or if you did and you did not renew it before the April 1st start of the commercial season you could be screwed. First of all, the DFG offices are closed and all you get in Sacramento is a recording. It seems they might have eliminated the Boat Permit and now added a Commercial Fish Business License at a cost of $2100+for new licenses in addition to all the prior fees. I can't say if this is the future, or if they are going to Limit the Commercial Fishery to what it was pre-2020. In any case, we can't do anything about it until the DFG re-opens.

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
Alot of BS here until Tom and Dave chimed in...
FYI , wardens are now checking comm boats to verify what they are actually fishing for... like guys launching as comm to go fish sport rockfish. \
Just stay the F home and eat some canned tuna and sardines.

chachi10

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 28, 2018
San Diego
Name
Chachi
Boat
None
The crew licenses are cheaper ...
Been fishin with a rod and reel commercial license most of my life..til this year,🤨.
I never paid for them but I think the last renewal was $170 for my crew license...and that was with a seabass stamp..
Good Intel. Thanks

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Visit site
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I just received an email from the CDFW office explainng what is needed to acquire a commercial license and it appears nothing has changed. You need a personal Commercial Fishing License, an Ocean Enhancement Stamp, and most importantly if you want access through the harbor you will need a Commercial Boat Permit so the total cost is around $600. The downside is to get started with anything you need to register your boat as Commercial with the DFG which normally takes 15 days however the DFG is closed now so what's the use. You can get a crew commercial license but you might have to list the commercial boat you would be fishing on and you must be on a Commercially Registered Boat to get past the Harbor Police.. All this must be completed by April 30th or Late Fee Penalties kick in.

Correction: Late Fees on Limited Entry Permits Only

Last edited:

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
Yea, and there are other NOAA and USCG requirements you have to meet on top of that that are further prohibitive and cost incurring that you really don't want to subject yourself to if you're not actually going to commercially fish. This will be over before you know it, don't make it harder on the guys trying to make a living so you can get an early start on a hobby.

Steve Francis

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
Second question is do you have to have a commercial captains license also 100 ton 100 mile?
Believe the captain's license you're referring to is likely the USCG license to Carry Passengers for Hire. Don't believe there is a commercial boat captain's license requirement. At least not by the USCG.

Reactions: lougio