Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
Things aligned for me this week to get down for another trip to the Coronados. With them returning to the islands, and hearing they’d been fishing on the anchor for yellows I was really excited to get out. I was on call Monday night and got called in 3 times so I left Tuesday night on 2 hours of sleep and made it to my brother’s house around 9:30. After chatting for an hour or so I set the alarm for 3:30 and tried to get a little sleep. Got out of the house and was making good time down the 5 which should have gotten me to Seaforth around 4:45. Then hit a “police activity” around Camino Real. They closed the entire freeway both directions. Okay this might get tight but exited to take the detour. As I’m driving we passed a lone car, stopped and pointed north on the southbound 5. About 100 yards down were probably 50 CHP cruisers, also stopped and pointed north with lights flashing. I thought that was good since a little south we should clear and I’d probably still make it. They had the further onramps closed and there is no detour down this far to get on south. So I sat and watched for a bit, then called the landing to let them know I wouldn’t be making it. He told me to keep trying. Then, all of a sudden, all of the CHP cruisers start racing south. Somehow they let the guy get by them and started chasing him again. I started seeing some traffic head south so I got in line to get on the freeway. They still were blocking the ramp. I sat and watched for another 15 minutes then saw the southbound freeway back up again. They were apparently in another standoff. So I turned north to head home. I was 55 miles away with less than a half hour to departure. I get up to about Euclid and the freeway is again closed off completely for police activity. I heard on the radio this was a possible jumper situation.

The Seaforth office called me right at 5:30 to see if I’d gotten through. Pretty cool as it sounded like they might hold the boat a little for me but there was no way I was getting down today. The coolest part was he asked if I wanted him to hold my deposit for another trip. I fully expected to lose the $100. It wasn’t their fault I couldn’t make it. So my day ended with me finishing a 600 mile round trip for nothing. I guess the silver lining is there are 5 or more yellows that’ll live to fight another day since I didn’t get out. Sorry for the terrible report.

Last edited:

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Stupid criminals idiots !!! No shortage of them these days it seems!! What a bunch of BS sorry Bro that sucks..

Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 24, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Bryan Z
    Boat
    36' Hatteras
    It happens. we run out of Seaforth and that's the same way we handle clients. Unforeseen issues, family emergency, etc. we have no problem rolling the deposit to a future date unless it's a complete no call, no show.

Sorry for your bad luck.

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    It happens. we run out of Seaforth and that's the same way we handle clients. Unforeseen issues, family emergency, etc. we have no problem rolling the deposit to a future date unless it's a complete no call, no show.

Sorry for your bad luck.
    I really appreciate that. Now I have to find a time when I can get down that when they still have openings.

Update on the standoff. Apparently this guy had tied up his girlfriend and beaten her for 2 days. She escaped. The police found him near the 15 and 8 freeways around 3AM and he led them on a multi freeway chase. He had several stops and standoffs. They finally blew out his tires and he shot and killed himself about 6AM. The freeway was closed till 8AM. I was telling this story to my assistant this morning during a procedure and my patient's husband said the guy shot himself on Instagram.

Reactions: I hate seals
    Upvote 0

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    That's cool to hear that there are businesses out there that has human beings still running them. Adding to the bucket of good will, common sense, and decency in a world of entitlement, finger pointing, and entitlement x 2 stories is sorely needed.

Thanks for sharing, sorry the trip got hosed, and thanks for bucking up and not whining. I would buy you a beer for that trip - with a face mask on, launched from across the room, that is outside, with a cross wind, and with a hand sanitizer rubber banded to it.

Good read.

Upvote 0

DEGBTI

Feb 5, 2013
    el cajon, ca
    Name
    dennis
    Boat
    204 Angler CC
    that's a bummer for sure. A couple weeks ago my son flew in from Texas for a week. I booked two spots on the San Diego for the Islands. Had him bring his passport as no way to get on the boat without it. He came over the night before. We had a couple beers, got all out rods set up. Got up at 3:30, rolled up at 5 am to Seaforth. Waited in line to get signed up. Hand over our passports. Then shit, my sons expired on his last birthday. Sucked balls! Lost both deposits, gone and no fishing for us.

Two weeks before that I booked a Friday tip on the same boat. On the day before at 5:30 am I get a call from Seaforth asking if I was going to make it. I said ya, but tomorrow, today is Thursday. He said, well, you are booked for today, Thursday. Shit! I scrambled to double check and sure a shit I made the reservation for the wrong day. Deposit lost.

So, in two weeks time I missed the boat twice and lost three deposits. Good news is I am going tomorrow, so far anyway.