San Diego 3/4 day - April 3rd

PENN

mrw1nst0n

Aug 8, 2014
Name
Winston Ventura
Boat
Skiff
Good Friday = Stock Markets Closed = No Work = FISHING!! Finally got to do a weekday trip! I was hoping for a lighter load but that wasn't going to happen given the numbers the last few days. Left Seaforth around 6ish and headed to the Coronados. We started search south of the Coronados around 9:30ish and boated a few Bonito under some birds on the first stop. We moved on looking for the Yellows and searched for what seemed like hours. We finally find a school, start chumming and the yellows start to boil. I throw a flyline bait out and get hooked up instantly, as did everyone else. In the chaos I get tangled in 4 others that were also hooked up and my line ends up snapping as the deck hands were trying to clear the mess. I grab my other rod, hook another bait, and instantly get bit again. A few minutes later and the first one is in the boat. The wide open fishing continues for 30-40ish minutes and I end up boating 2 more! In that one stop I think the count was up around 90. The deckhands kept saying how it was one of the craziest yellow stops they have seen.

The school moves on and we go on the search again. We search the area for a while with no schools to be found. All the other boats in the area were all on the search and Capt. Ryan decides to make the move to the North Coronado Island. We start on the SW side of the island and after a couple uninteresting stops find another huge school. The madness ensues and it was wide open to anyone who could cast out a bait or surface iron. I boat my last one on this stop, and we net somewhere around 40 more. We made another move towards the NW side of the island and make another stop where we were able to pick off a handful more.

We ended up with 155 yellows all caught on fly line and surface irons... I don't think anyone caught any on the yoyo or dropshot or at least it wasn't nearly as effective. It was madness in the few good stops but the crew did a great of keeping the tangles to a minimum and kudos to Capt. Ryan for finding us the two HUGE schools while all the others in the fleet seemed to have struggled today. As always, it only takes a couple good stops to make a day... and The San Diego never seems to fail.

Quality Yellows all around the boat!!
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg

Upvote 0

D-spot

Fishing....... Where You're Not.......
May 21, 2008
Diego
Name
Ray
Boat
23' Neptune CC "Non-Stop"
Well Done...Thanks for the report....

Reactions: twofinbluna11
Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Thanks for the timely report. Heading out right now.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I better get back down there before booger gets them all!

Upvote 0

cmiller91301

Aug 13, 2007
San Diego
Name
Colin
Boat
The Boatagain
Don't post often, but as mrw1nst0n stated in his detailed report, one of the most epic WFO yellowtail bites I've been in in a long time! First first stop was insane. Everyone was bent! Tails were all between 15-30lbs. Not a lot of bites on the iron, but fly lining killed it. Everyone did a great job handling the chaos. Hats off to the Capt and crew, they worked their asses off!

Upvote 0

elreytut

elreytut
Jun 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
bob
Boat
TARPON 120. NEW RIDE
DISGUSTING. I WAS ON A DIFF BOAT. SAME DAY. WRONG SIDE OF THE ISLAND. NORTH OF THE ISLAND IN THE AFTERNOON THE BOAT GOT A FEW. LOTS OF ZEROS. WERE YOU MORE "DOWN THE BEACH"? INSANE. CONGRATS

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I see dead jacks.....lots and lots!

Upvote 0

Islandah

Islandah
Apr 2, 2004
wannabe in s.d.
Name
islandah
Boat
216 Cabo Cuddycon " ISLANDAH "
I was on that same boat that very same day!
Killer surface action with jigs followed by flylined baits and a couple of yoyo'ed yellows!
Fast limit on the first stop.
Capt. Booger kept it real and had everyone all pumped up!
Great TRIP!

Upvote 0