May 28, 2008
Hoopin since
Name
LOBSTER
Boat
CATCHER
Fish count 9-16-14
San Diego - 3/4 Day - 38 people - 325 Yellowfin Tuna, 50 Yellowtail7:00 PM

38 people, 325 tuna. This is why the San Diego is the best boat in the fleet. They put you on fish, period. You have to understand the costomer service is lacking because these guys are putting in 6-7 days a week, long hour days, not much sleep, dealing with 40+ googans on there boat every day. The San Diego has been fishing hard since the beginning of the year in January when we were slaying the big yellows at the islands. 9 months of hard epic fishing, and dealing with kooks and googans who frequent 3/4 days boats, and you would be burnt out also.

But I'm happy you didn't like the SD leaves more room for me, myself and I.

That about covers it. Nuff said on this one! That is an epic day on a 3/4

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Yeah, the palomar knot is like 30% if you fuck it up. Actually a very good knot for lighter line; but difficult to tighten completely in heavy line. If you're tying to hook directly with spectra please disregard the previous comment and find a different knot.

Apologies for intruding on the thread.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
Name
Ian
Boat
Linda Vista
Yeah, the palomar knot is like 30% if you fuck it up. Actually a very good knot for lighter line; but difficult to tighten completely in heavy line. If you're tying to hook directly with spectra please disregard the previous comment and find a different knot.

Apologies for intruding on the thread.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK
I have heard the same, good for lighter line but not really great for the heavier line, floro specifically. I grew up typing cinch knots for fishing so I'll go back to that.

Upvote 0

skelly1

Jun 29, 2006
Ramona
Name
Steve
Boat
20' skipjack flybridge
The San Diego rocks. Great boat. Been like that for many years.

Upvote 0

Delta Mike

You like soup?
Feb 18, 2013
Cleveland/Steubenville/Yuma
www.semperfidelis.com
Name
Darren
Boat
"I wish"
Once you said Chubasco, I cant take you seriously. That boat, in comparison to the San Diego is equivalent to comparing the Point Loma to the Intrepid. They are in two different ball parks. In the off season when he (the fat Mexican) runs to the kelp beds and to the islands, he has to ask around because he cant find his own fish. haha your a fucking joke. And yea there is a reason the Chubby never fills up. they cant keep regular paying passengers.
You are high.

Upvote 0

yellofvr

Oct 25, 2004
Name
Matt
Boat
At home
Once you said Chubasco, I cant take you seriously. That boat, in comparison to the San Diego is equivalent to comparing the Point Loma to the Intrepid. They are in two different ball parks. In the off season when he (the fat Mexican) runs to the kelp beds and to the islands, he has to ask around because he cant find his own fish. haha your a fucking joke. And yea there is a reason the Chubby never fills up. they cant keep regular paying passengers.

You should go down to the dock and tell him that, See how that works out for you.

Upvote 0

ZHALVAJE

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 2, 2007
San Diego
Name
Alex
Boat
Which one is killing fish?

Another internet tuff guy.

Upvote 0

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
so cal
www.socalfishingdynamics.com
Name
will
Boat
Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117
Ryan should drop the limited load to 30 and double the price. I'd still go with him any day of the week and I'm sure he'd still fill every spot. He knows how to find fish and is a great captain. Definately knows the difference from exotics under the birds to just bonito or cuda boiling.

Sorry to hear the crew wasn't up to par. They're probably exhausted from this season. It's been crazy.

Reactions: makairaa
Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat

Well said. Ernie is not in the same class as the other 3/4 day skippers.

Upvote 0

fishingkid

Aug 15, 2004
Lake Elsinore
Name
Boat
N/A
The San Diego is the best 3/4 day boat nothing compares.sounds like you were a bitching bitch before you even set foot in the office. They don't need your business you should continue fishing the chubby have a deck hand bait your hook and unhook your fish for you devote there time to your lame ass that can't do it him self. The San Diego is a 3/4 boat chasing game fish if you look at the counts half the time they out fish the overnight boats. And I'm sure they out fish the Chubasco.

Reactions: Short Bite
Upvote 0

NO4NMTL

Feb 27, 2008
Orange County
Name
Buddy
Boat
205 Conquest
I think this is the very first negative report about the San Diego that I've ever read. I guess you really can't please everyone.
I don't think its possible to please this guy if you want a perfect world buy your own boat and do it your way

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EAM

-------------
Nov 13, 2011
SoCal
Name
Eli
Boat
-----------
The San Diego does so many things better than any other 3/4 boat in the fleet, more rod storage than any other boat, only 3/4 day with RSW, 3 sets of gyros , sat phone to communicate with other boats, even down to minor details Like having lids for the coffee cups in the galley. Evert part of that operation is well thought out and best in class. I could keep going but I need to be up in 6 hours to get on the SD. Trying to convince a guy who complains about a 300+ day of fishing is a lost cause anyhow.

Upvote 0

a238killfish

killfish
Feb 22, 2008
san diego,CA
Name
dan
Boat
24'wellcraft center console"that's my boy!"
I've worked the san diego,new seaforth,missionbelle,Polaris deluxe and sea adventure(prior to the extra 10 feet.)been with good and bad crews,the san diego has some of the best crews ever.without a doubt.if there is something wrong,it will get fixed.

Reactions: boatless indago
Upvote 0

eddiefishtaco

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
Every day is different some better than others on the San Diego.
I grew up fishing on pangas and reeling fish by hand, so the worst party boat in the fleet is for me, a luxury. All I want is a shot at the fish.
And I like the San Diego's
Aggressive style, they are hunters,
I don't pay much attention to detail on fine manners or etiquette. We are guys, not girls.
And the report is very entertaining, well written and appreciated. But I was not convinced. I will continue to fish the San Diego.
I'll fish it until I can't fish no more.

Let's go

Screenshot_2014-09-18-16-44-00-1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: cioppino
Upvote 0

Ducksgo

May 19, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Name
Mark
Boat
Someone else's
I fuck myself twice a day. Usually in the morning when I shower and then at night before I sleep (try to shoot it over my shoulder and hit the wall).

Look Stinger isn't the friendliest guy in the fleet, but he makes up for it in experience. Unlike yourself obviously.

Stinger is deff not a legend. I have no idea why you would make such a stupid remark.

Upvote 0

Ducksgo

May 19, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Name
Mark
Boat
Someone else's
When I think of legends I think of Andy Cates who runs the Red Rooster and his dad Nick Cates who use to run and OWN the New Lo-An back in the 90s. That family has been in the fishing industry for generations. I wouldn't put stinger in that category no offense

Reactions: boatless indago
Upvote 0

fishun

Mar 12, 2006
Riverside, Ca.
Name
Robert R. Peters
Boat
23ft Ranger
My 2 cents: I fished most of the 3/4 day boats out of S/D for the last 12 yrs. Off and on when my boat wasn't running or when I was on a charter. We all have our favorite. Mine is Steve P's Mission Belle, with the best deck hand in the fleet with "Karen". Why? unlike other boats in the SD fleet, we seem to be the last ones in to dock. Reason: Steve just won't give up on a good bite or he has to investigate that next paddy. He's always saying, "its getting late and we need to go it, but I see another paddy ahead or the birds are working over there, we need to give it a try were going to be a little late getting back to the dock". For the dude who made the statement about there would be more room on the S/D with 51 that on the M/B with 45 there may be some truth to that, except the M/B runs with 38 instead of 45. I like his idea of more room on the S/D with 70 than with M/B with 45. I would like to see the S/D run with 70 on board. It would give the rest of us more room on the other 3/4 day boat.

Upvote 0

cioppino

Dec 16, 2005
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
FORTUNA -- Parker 2510 XLD
Every day is different some better than others on the San Diego.
I grew up fishing on pangas and reeling fish by hand, so the worst party boat in the fleet is for me, a luxury. All I want is a shot at the fish.
And I like the San Diego's
Aggressive style, they are hunters,
I don't pay much attention to detail on fine manners or etiquette. We are guys, not girls.
And the report is very entertaining, well written and appreciated. But I was not convinced. I will continue to fish the San Diego.
I'll fish it until I can't fish no more.

Let's go

View attachment 544901

This may be my favorite post ever on any website. The photo says so much. Fuck the bickering ladies, man up and go fish!!!

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
I wish I was on the San Diego yesterday! They got 155 while the boat I was on (Eclipse) got 13. LOL

Fish just love a big 'Booger' :D

Upvote 0