jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
For reports? Yes I do. Some people actually read the reports for experiences and information. There are a few members that frequent the same forums as I do for the same reason. It's also not hard to copy and paste words.For reports? Yes I do. Some people actually read the reports for experiences and information. There are a few members that frequent the same forums as I do for the same reason. It's also not hard to copy and paste words.For reports? Yes I do. Some people actually read the reports for experiences and information. There are a few members that frequent the same forums as I do for the same reason. It's also not hard to copy and paste wFor reports? Yes I do. Some people actually read the reports for experiences and information. There are a few members that frequent the same forums as I do for the same reason. It's also not hard to copy and paste words.ords.For reports? Yes I do. Some people actually read the reports for experiences and information. There are a few members that frequent the same forums as I do for the same reason. It's also not hard to copy and paste words.For reports? Yes I do. Some people actually read the reports for experiences and information. There are a few members that frequent the same forums as I do for the same reason. It's also not hard to copy and paste words.

Your right it's not. I'M GOING TO YELL NOW YOU MUST BE A VERY LONELY INDIVIDUAL TO POST THE SAME EXACT THING ON THREE DIFFERENT FORUMS. GOD FORBID YOU CATCH A FISH YOU'D HAVE TO GET INTERNET HANDJOBS ON THREE DIFFERENT FORUMS.

For reports? Yes I do. Some people actually read the reports for experiences and information. There are a few members that frequent the same forums as I do for the same reason. It's also not hard to copy and paste words.For reports? Yes I do. Some people actually read the reports for experiences and information. There are a few members that frequent the same forums as I do for the same reason. It's also not hard to copy and paste words.For reports? Yes I do. Some people actually read the reports for experiences and information. There are a few members that frequent the same forums as I do for the same reason. It's also not hard to copy and paste words.For reports? Yes I do. Some people actually read the reports for experiences and information. There are a few members that frequent the same forums as I do for the same reason. It's also not hard to copy and paste words.
YOU NEED TO LOOK UP THE WORK donkey' IN THE dictionary 'TO SEE WHERE THIS GUY REALLY GOT HIS NAME (jackass)' SOME TIME'S THE NAME JUST FIT'S.

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
Yes, I didn't have my thumb on the spool because the fish was in handwith slack line out, there was no reason to have my thumb on it. If i'm un-hooking my fish I let out some slack and then put it in gear, most deckhands I have delt with want slack and freespool, he asked for freespool like most so I did so.

No, I pretty much figured this would be the response here but I posted it anyways. It was more well received on two other forums I frequent.

Always have your thumb on the spool when it's in freespool. It should be a subconscious act. Sorry you had a bad time. The San Diego really is the class of 3/4 boats in that area.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
Name
Ian
Boat
Linda Vista
I think you might be the only person in SD catching 20-30 lb yt, as most fish are rat size to 15lbs.

The San Diego is a great boat, but like ALL boats it has some flaws. You should do more fishing and less thinking next time.
The weights are a guess as there was no scale but that is what the deckhands were saying. The more seasoned fishermen said the same thing as well and compared them to the fish they get off the islands in Jan-Feb on YoYo.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
Name
Ian
Boat
Linda Vista
Always have your thumb on the spool when it's in freespool. It should be a subconscious act. Sorry you had a bad time. The San Diego really is the class of 3/4 boats in that area.
You're right, in retrospect I should have as I am not used to how this boat handles fish, I just was not expecting that to happen at all. I am sorry I had a bad time as well, when I agreed to go I looked up reports online and dock totals and it seemed like it was going to be a lock for an outstanding trip.

Upvote 0

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
I think you might be the only person in SD catching 20-30 lb yt, as most fish are rat size to 15lbs.

The San Diego is a great boat, but like ALL boats it has some flaws. You should do more fishing and less thinking next time.

You couldn't be more wrong. Good yt fishing close to home.

San diego is a great boat, they catch the most fish 3/4 day by far and they have rsw.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
Name
Ian
Boat
Linda Vista
San diego is a great boat, they catch the most fish 3/4 day by far and they have rsw.
Every boat should have that and if they don't they should get one if at all possible although it seems like something that would have to be built in, not sure what is under bait tanks on most boats to make that possible.

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
Every boat should have that and if they don't they should get one if at all possible although it seems like something that would have to be built in, not sure what is under bait tanks on most boats to make that possible.

The San Diego is the ONLY 3/4 boat that has RSW. That's why it's the only 3/4 boat I'd ride.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I went out on the San Diego a few weeks ago.You're definitely right about that cook,it had to be the same guy.I ordered a cheeseburger when he had nothing to do but talk to some girl,an hour later i go back and its still not done ! and yes he had a little attitude like he was being bothered when you ordered.There was a deadhead on the boat,caught 13 tuna and still tried for more.Deckhands were ok but very slow and unorganized when fish cleaning.Ryan is a great skipper and yes 51 is way too many on that boat.I saw the little kid working also,i helped him scrub the boat down.He looked overwhelmed with the mess.Keep in mind those guys are probably burned out by now and look forward to the fishing to slow down some.The RSW is a little overrated if your fish isnt kept in it all day.My fish laid on deck for 3 hours waiting to be filleted and then was left out until we got back.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
After fishing party boats for 30+ years, I can tell you most of the cooks I have run across can be a little sensitive. Especially in the morning. They have to make breakfast for however many people, plus crew that are standing on top of them asking where is my food? It doesnt help that it sometimes takes close to an hour to make bacon and potatoes before they even start to take orders. Be nice and polite in the morning and it will last you all day. When there are 51 people on any boat you need to cut the crew some slack, especially in a good bite. They cant be everywhere at once. He dropped your fish. It was probably because someone needed a gaff or was in a tangle and he was trying to save it. Yours was already onboard. As to driving past boiling fish, trust me he saw them. His electronics can tell what is there better than your eyes. Sorry you didnt have a good trip. Go on a different boat next time. Also if you want more sympathy, do not cut and paste the same report on 3 different sites. Makes you look like an attention whore.

Reactions: HeavyDrag
Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
hmmm...you want all the boats to have the exact same service as the chubasco....that includes eliminating the need to thumb ones' own reel while in free-spool while the fish is being handled at the rail for de-hooking. except the chubasco doesn't have RSW........ ok.

thank you for your service and the SBs of SD has a new member.

PS: Up until now, the accepted practice of tuna/yellowtail de-hooking usually involves snapping the line and tieing on a new hook. I guess we all are going to have to take lessons from you as to our future practices.

Upvote 0

boatless indago

Boatless in Dago
Jul 15, 2012
sd ca
Name
lj
Boat
nomo boat
IAN in L.V. ( MY HOOD) when YOU were a child.....did your mom and big sis(well big bro too) nick name you " MAN" ?????? ya. I'm serious.......and oh ya "BOOGER" runs a pretty tight ship, but to hear deck hands sitting and lounging around on a 51 passenger cruise???????are you joking?? if NOT file a letter about this with the Seaforth Sportfishing Group.

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Anthony Hicks
Boat
Good Deal
You couldn't be more wrong. Good yt fishing close to home.

Pretty sure I'm right. The San Diego and the rest of the 3/4 boats are fishing local offshore.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
Name
Ian
Boat
Linda Vista
The San Diego is the ONLY 3/4 boat that has RSW. That's why it's the only 3/4 boat I'd ride.
After fishing party boats for 30+ years, I can tell you most of the cooks I have run across can be a little sensitive. Especially in the morning. They have to make breakfast for however many people, plus crew that are standing on top of them asking where is my food? It doesnt help that it sometimes takes close to an hour to make bacon and potatoes before they even start to take orders. Be nice and polite in the morning and it will last you all day. When there are 51 people on any boat you need to cut the crew some slack, especially in a good bite. They cant be everywhere at once. He dropped your fish. It was probably because someone needed a gaff or was in a tangle and he was trying to save it. Yours was already onboard. As to driving past boiling fish, trust me he saw them. His electronics can tell what is there better than your eyes. Sorry you didnt have a good trip. Go on a different boat next time. Also if you want more sympathy, do not cut and paste the same report on 3 different sites. Makes you look like an attention whore.
He dropped my fish because a regular, who I was fishing next to and talking with the whole day, brought one over the rail. They were small bonito which is why I told him I got it in the first place.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
Name
Ian
Boat
Linda Vista
hmmm...you want all the boats to have the exact same service as the chubasco....that includes eliminating the need to thumb ones' own reel while in free-spool while the fish is being handled at the rail for de-hooking. except the chubasco doesn't have RSW........ ok.

thank you for your service and the SBs of SD has a new member.

PS: Up until now, the accepted practice of tuna/yellowtail de-hooking usually involves snapping the line and tieing on a new hook. I guess we all are going to have to take lessons from you as to our future practices.

we were on small bonito most of the day that were hooked right in the mouth, on tuna or when the bite is hot with quality fish I'll cut my own right away and bag or tag my own fish.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
Name
Ian
Boat
Linda Vista
IAN in L.V. ( MY HOOD) when YOU were a child.....did your mom and big sis(well big bro too) nick name you " MAN" ?????? ya. I'm serious.......and oh ya "BOOGER" runs a pretty tight ship, but to hear deck hands sitting and lounging around on a 51 passenger cruise???????are you joking?? if NOT file a letter about this with the Seaforth Sportfishing Group.
your hood? I'm sure many of my friends would disagree with you. My whole group was from the V....

Upvote 0

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Randy
Boat
None
First off I will start by saying that this will be more a review of the trip/boat/crew/fellow passengers than a long drawn out story that's filled with expletives describing how I was catching, not just fishing...I had a rough day yesterday but the boat did ok as a whole as far as the fish count goes. This was my first 3/4 day trip that was not on my normal boat...please forgive me, I cheated, I'm sorry :cry:

With that out of the way I will start off with a review of the boat/landing. I was on the San Diego out of Seaforth due to a last minute cancellation of a someone in a group of my friends. First thing was paying and signing in. Well the landing opened the doors a good 10-15 minutes late, if a boat is due to leave at 0530 and your doors are not open by 0500 at the latest...you're wrong. I also didn't understand why we paid inside and then went right outside the door and signed in for the boat, didn't really make much sense to me. So since the store opened late, we left late.

On to the boat. The San Diego is a nice boat with plenty of space for rods and tackle but I think the 51 we had on board with one or two of the crew fishing was a little much, maybe cut off 5 or so people. The galley was nice and very spacious, tables were a good size with plenty of room when you sat down. It also has a TV that they played the Chargers game on. One thing I really liked was the cooler space below the bait tanks where the fish went so instead of sitting in a cooler on deck they sat down there with water pumping through, I'm sure this helps with the quality of the meat after a long day out there.

Now for the crew. First off I will say I think they were a decent crew but there were some issues which put me off and will probably prevent me from coming back (plus I probably won't cheat on my regular boat again). This will basically be in comparison to my regular boat as they're awesome to me. First issue was the cook, the guy had an attitude all day and made it seem like he was doing you a favor by letting you order. If you ordered food he would make it (took a long time) and then just leave it on the counter, you would have to randomly go check or just wait down there till it was done, he would not call it out. When I went to pay my galley tab I iwanted to get some change so I could tip the cutter, the cook looked at me and said no change, I look down in the box and there is a ton of change. My regular boat (they rotate two cooks) cooks decently fast and when it's done they call it out in the galley and then take it outside and yell it out or they go find you and give it to you. Deck management was pretty much non existent till we got on some yellowtail at the end of the day. They did not manage the people fishing, they weren't out looking for signs of fish, no one up top with binos scanning etc. I also noticed once we left a spot the crew just sat down and chilled, they were out cleaning the deck and getting rid of the dead bait etc. My normal boat starts management from the minute we get on the boat till we are off, once we reach the start of the fishing area they have at least two crew members looking for signs of fish with binos. They also start cleaning the deck right when we pull off a spot and they get the dead bait out of the tanks. Two times on this trip a deck hand was in the process of unhooking a fish for me and then he saw someone else hook up and he would just drop my fish and walk off, hook still there and everything, that is a no-go for me and could be an automatic no-tip situation. The crew would actually yell at some of more experienced people for telling the other customers to move left/right and under/over...well you know what? I wouldn't have to if you would do what you're paid to do. My regular boat...that would never happen, they encourage the more experienced people to help guide the newer ones and help out. The crew also had one kid in it, I would have to guess around 13 or so...I understand crewing early but I don't think a 3/4 day is the place for that. N/A for my regular boat because I don't believe they would have someone crew that was that young. To end on a positive note the fish cutting was really good and fast, I tipped him on the side. This is a tie for my regular boat I think, the San Diego cutter might have been just a hair cleaner with his cuts.

Passengers...3/4 of the boat did not have a clue what they were doing. It's like you took a big bunch of people who had never even seen a fish before and threw them on the boat. I had a big yellowtail on and someone was wrapped around my line like twice...he starts pulling out his cutters and I yell no, he looks at me and then cuts my line. That guy almost got his teeth knocked out and flipped over, I was just livid, crew just watched and didn't say anything to him. As I stated before the crew did not manage people pretty much the whole day so when we finally got on the good sized yellowtail it was too late and it was just a giant cluster ****.

Fishing, the last couple hours we got away from the small bonito and found the 20-30lb+ yellowtail, that fights were amazing, especially for me since I was fishing light. I popped a couple off, lost a few to tangles, lost a few going over people due to having to high stick because they didn't move and blah blah blah. There were 4 times that I got broke off almost right away, I think it was due to having a twist inside the Palomar knot I was using, I switched to the SD Jam but didn't get anything big enough to test it. I did catch a ton of small bonito and two big ones along with a 15lb yellowtail.

Worst part of the trip...double hooking a 30lber with another person, bringing it up and both hooking the corner of the mouth on opposite sides. Had to flip for it since neither was deeper and I lost.
All in all I probably will just stick to my regular except on a couple rare occasions when I get a last minute invite to fill a spot for some friends.

Post is long I know. If you disagree, agree etc then please post.
Took almost 3/4 of a day to read that!

Reactions: Short Bite
Upvote 0

boatless indago

Boatless in Dago
Jul 15, 2012
sd ca
Name
lj
Boat
nomo boat
your hood? I'm sure many of my friends would disagree with you. My whole group was from the V....
ya sounds like IAN i was askin about.......Burroughs St/Kelly st///////etc etc UNION man I B E W ?????????hye IAN...YES< MY HOOD !!!!! next time I see ya I will tell ya this was me on here!!

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
]Yes, I didn't have my thumb on the spool because the fish was in handwith slack line out, there was no reason to have my thumb on it.

The first rule on my boat , when the fish comes over the rail ,put it in free spool with the clicker on.
Free spool reduces the chance of setting a hook in someone's hand, clicker reduces the chance of a backlash.
NEVER LEAVE A REEL IN FREESPOOL WITHOUT MANAGING THE SPOOL,PERIOD.

Reactions: 26grumpy
Upvote 0