San Diego 3/4 Day 9/14/2015

PENN

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
Name
Ian
Boat
Linda Vista
First off I will start by saying that this will be more a review of the trip/boat/crew/fellow passengers than a long drawn out story that's filled with expletives describing how I was catching, not just fishing...I had a rough day yesterday but the boat did ok as a whole as far as the fish count goes. This was my first 3/4 day trip that was not on my normal boat...please forgive me, I cheated, I'm sorry :cry:

With that out of the way I will start off with a review of the boat/landing. I was on the San Diego out of Seaforth due to a last minute cancellation of a someone in a group of my friends. First thing was paying and signing in. Well the landing opened the doors a good 10-15 minutes late, if a boat is due to leave at 0530 and your doors are not open by 0500 at the latest...you're wrong. I also didn't understand why we paid inside and then went right outside the door and signed in for the boat, didn't really make much sense to me. So since the store opened late, we left late.

On to the boat. The San Diego is a nice boat with plenty of space for rods and tackle but I think the 51 we had on board with one or two of the crew fishing was a little much, maybe cut off 5 or so people. The galley was nice and very spacious, tables were a good size with plenty of room when you sat down. It also has a TV that they played the Chargers game on. One thing I really liked was the cooler space below the bait tanks where the fish went so instead of sitting in a cooler on deck they sat down there with water pumping through, I'm sure this helps with the quality of the meat after a long day out there.

Now for the crew. First off I will say I think they were a decent crew but there were some issues which put me off and will probably prevent me from coming back (plus I probably won't cheat on my regular boat again). This will basically be in comparison to my regular boat as they're awesome to me. First issue was the cook, the guy had an attitude all day and made it seem like he was doing you a favor by letting you order. If you ordered food he would make it (took a long time) and then just leave it on the counter, you would have to randomly go check or just wait down there till it was done, he would not call it out. When I went to pay my galley tab I iwanted to get some change so I could tip the cutter, the cook looked at me and said no change, I look down in the box and there is a ton of change. My regular boat (they rotate two cooks) cooks decently fast and when it's done they call it out in the galley and then take it outside and yell it out or they go find you and give it to you. Deck management was pretty much non existent till we got on some yellowtail at the end of the day. They did not manage the people fishing, they weren't out looking for signs of fish, no one up top with binos scanning etc. I also noticed once we left a spot the crew just sat down and chilled, they were out cleaning the deck and getting rid of the dead bait etc. My normal boat starts management from the minute we get on the boat till we are off, once we reach the start of the fishing area they have at least two crew members looking for signs of fish with binos. They also start cleaning the deck right when we pull off a spot and they get the dead bait out of the tanks. Two times on this trip a deck hand was in the process of unhooking a fish for me and then he saw someone else hook up and he would just drop my fish and walk off, hook still there and everything, that is a no-go for me and could be an automatic no-tip situation. The crew would actually yell at some of more experienced people for telling the other customers to move left/right and under/over...well you know what? I wouldn't have to if you would do what you're paid to do. My regular boat...that would never happen, they encourage the more experienced people to help guide the newer ones and help out. The crew also had one kid in it, I would have to guess around 13 or so...I understand crewing early but I don't think a 3/4 day is the place for that. N/A for my regular boat because I don't believe they would have someone crew that was that young. To end on a positive note the fish cutting was really good and fast, I tipped him on the side. This is a tie for my regular boat I think, the San Diego cutter might have been just a hair cleaner with his cuts.

Passengers...3/4 of the boat did not have a clue what they were doing. It's like you took a big bunch of people who had never even seen a fish before and threw them on the boat. I had a big yellowtail on and someone was wrapped around my line like twice...he starts pulling out his cutters and I yell no, he looks at me and then cuts my line. That guy almost got his teeth knocked out and flipped over, I was just livid, crew just watched and didn't say anything to him. As I stated before the crew did not manage people pretty much the whole day so when we finally got on the good sized yellowtail it was too late and it was just a giant cluster ****.

Fishing, the last couple hours we got away from the small bonito and found the 20-30lb+ yellowtail, that fights were amazing, especially for me since I was fishing light. I popped a couple off, lost a few to tangles, lost a few going over people due to having to high stick because they didn't move and blah blah blah. There were 4 times that I got broke off almost right away, I think it was due to having a twist inside the Palomar knot I was using, I switched to the SD Jam but didn't get anything big enough to test it. I did catch a ton of small bonito and two big ones along with a 15lb yellowtail.

Worst part of the trip...double hooking a 30lber with another person, bringing it up and both hooking the corner of the mouth on opposite sides. Had to flip for it since neither was deeper and I lost.
All in all I probably will just stick to my regular except on a couple rare occasions when I get a last minute invite to fill a spot for some friends.

Post is long I know. If you disagree, agree etc then please post.

Reactions: Fisherman1225
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I'm curious what your expectations were getting on a 3/4 day boat with 50 other googans. Sounds pretty typical other than you got into some good grade fish.

Upvote 0

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
    Jul 14, 2008
    North San Diego
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Gregor 20
    A good grade of fish has been typical as well. Some nice yellows roaming inshore and around islands lately. Whats your favorite boat?

Upvote 0

OIF VET

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2010
    North OC
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    nope
    Please do tell what your regular boat it because the San Diego is the best 3/4 day boat on our coast. If you think Ryan (booger) or Ray wasn't looking for fish you are out of your mind. Booger runs a great operation and I would fish with him any day but your boat does sound nice so please let me know what it is.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    Linda Vista
    My favorite boat is the Chubasco II.

Well maybe my expectations are too high because I think there should be at least a base amount of service. The crew not using the early stops on bonito to help the people figure out what to do is a mistake. I do understand it's a 51 person cattle boat but them not taking the time to get these people to have a basic understanding of what is to be done and not done is a mistake.

In my eyes the boat I normally go on is perfect, they normally find a decent bite to wide open. Only one time on a 1/2 did we have what I call an "off" day and they was with me having two cuda and 4 Calico with a few shorts released.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    Linda Vista
    Please do tell what your regular boat it because the San Diego is the best 3/4 day boat on our coast. If you think Ryan (booger) or Ray wasn't looking for fish you are out of your mind. Booger runs a great operation and I would fish with him any day but your boat does sound nice so please let me know what it is.
    I'm not saying he wasn't looking for fish, we caught fish so I know he was looking for them but we passed by 3-4 spots where birds were diving and fish were boiling at the same spot...how do you not stop? I called mentioned it to a deck hand and he just looked at me and walked away. Like I said, what I'm used to is normally two deck hands with binos up on the roof scanning, the remaining one is cleaning and looking around, the cook comes out and scans as well. If a passanger points out boils, birds, kelp, sharks etc then they check it out, tell the captain and he decides on whether or not we go there.

Upvote 0

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
    Nov 19, 2003
    Anaheim
    bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    chuck
    Boat
    No
    Next time you have a fish on and somebody tangles you and is going to cut you off or just doesn't get it.....

Just thumb your spool and put it in free spool. A short quick run oughtta fix any problems.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    Linda Vista
    That could be but when another boat sits there at a boil you pass for an hour and most of the robs are bent when you come back...maybe not bonito.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    Linda Vista
    Next time you have a fish on and somebody tangles you and is going to cut you off or just doesn't get it.....

Just thumb your spool and put it in free spool. A short quick run oughtta fix any problems.
    I dislike doing that because I prefer not to get into because 99% of the time it turns to a a yelling match...but I have done it a couple times. I don't think the free spool would have helped this time because his line was pretty loose on mine, I've only done it when they're wrapped tight.

Upvote 0

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
    Jul 14, 2008
    North San Diego
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Gregor 20
    That could be but when another boat sits there at a boil you pass for an hour and most of the robs are bent when you come back...maybe not bonito.

No it's bonito. They are thick right now, like every bait thick. I was out there yesterday in my skiff.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    Linda Vista
    Some people have told me that I shouldn't compare the Chubasco because it's a private owned boat and the San Diego isn't, I can kind of see their point but at the same time I can't because they're both based on catching fish and customer service.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    Linda Vista
    No it's bonito. They are thick right now, like every bait thick. I was out there yesterday in my skiff.

Well then if it was in fact bonito then I take it back. We had been on them every stop from troll strikes (also always a bonito) so when I see the boils and birds it makes sense to go there...but then again I'm not a captain.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    Some people have told me that I shouldn't compare the Chubasco because it's a private owned boat and the San Diego isn't, I can kind of see their point but at the same time I can't because they're both based on catching fish and customer service.

Different customer base, perhaps?
    Different customer expectations, perhaps?
    Your fav is obviously aimed at a different base and expectations than the san diego. How many times has there been 51 anglers on your fav?

Reactions: NO4NMTL
    Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    San Diego is a private owned boat. Like has been stated before it is without a doubt the best 3/4 day boat out there. I'm picturing you as a kook with a floppy hat wearing a vest and fighting belt while you're fishing 15lb. No wonder the cook looked at you like you were a kook.

Maybe you should stick with Ernie, there's a reason he isn't full all the time.

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
    Apr 5, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    I think this is the very first negative report about the San Diego that I've ever read. I guess you really can't please everyone.

Reactions: Evan Feely
    Upvote 0

landslide

Jan 28, 2014
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    skipdick
    They have over 15 grand in binos on the boat I think they know how to look for signs of fish with them. Maybe you just didn't physically see them on the roof?

Reactions: HeavyDrag
    Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    Linda Vista
    Different customer base, perhaps?
    Different customer expectations, perhaps?
    Your fav is obviously aimed at a different base and expectations than the san diego. How many times has there been 51 anglers on your fav?
    Never, their boat is smaller so they max at 31. When people don't listen repeatedly they have sat them from the rail though instead of letting them stay there and continue to mess it up for others.

I don't think it's too high of an expectation for the store where you have to pay for the trip to open up on time. I don't think it's too much of an expectation to practice how to rail is to be fished on the groups of small bonito. I don't think it's too high of an expectation for the cook to have a decent attitude, maybe say good morning or something and to call out food when it's done. I think there are basic levels of customer service that should be met for any business.

This is not meant as a bitch session or anything like that, I am just posting my experience on a particular boat and comparing it to another boat and reporting my observations.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    Linda Vista
    Hey Ian do a lot of people call you "That Guy". You sure sound like one.
    That guy? No, but I'll be that guy if it means I expect a certain level of service that is at a basic level.

They have over 15 grand in binos on the boat I think they know how to look for signs of fish with them. Maybe you just didn't physically see them on the roof?

And as for the binos, I would have seen them if they were on the roof because I was up on the top right behind the wheel house.

Last edited:
    Reactions: lougio
    Upvote 0