Charlesregan

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 6, 2012
Mission Viejo
Name
Charles Regan
Boat
Not yet!!
Jumped on the San Diego yesterday, 10/13 for a much needed day off of work and slay fest.

I have been trying to jump on the SD for a day trip for a few months but he has been booked out most of the summer. Few weeks ago we decided to make our reservation and glad we did.

Got down to the landing about 4:45 and got checked in. Jumped on the boat and realized they already had bait, sweet more time in the zone. The game plan was to hopefully find a kelp holding some YFT, zone was 3.5-4 hours away. Deckies Andrew, Marco and James all walked around and asked if we needed help rigging up. I rigged a 20 pound setup with a #2 hook for bait, an 80 gram colt sniper in blue and pink on 30 and dorado pattern mega bait on 40.

Grabbed a warm coffee and a tasty breakfast burrito from Doug and grabbed a seat up top. Met some cool new friends as we motored out to the grounds.

We must have passed 5 or 6 kelps and then we found a huge kelp that had boils on it. I grabbed the colt sniper first and first drop a YFT, about 10-12 pounds. I stayed up on the bow and went 4/4 on YFT on that stop, and a few smaller YT (3-5 pounds) that I chucked back to grow a bit. We reset on the kelp and they stuck with us for maybe 45 minutes that time and we proceeded to put mahi, YT, YFT and skip jack on the boat. I used the mega bait and was hit as soon as it hit the surface, dropping 20 feet and fast or slow crank. I was fishing for the boat at this point and C&R the smaller grade YT. Then a PB pulled up on the kelp as we were well south of it by now, so off we went to find another kelp.

We looked around for about an hour until we found another smaller kelp holding. Was the same stuff, 4 species that started with the rat YT and mahi that were probably 5-7 pounds and turned into YFT and skip. I switched to bait at this point as I hadn't caught any on bait, basically a hot bait count to 5 and on... Guy had a 3' ice fishing pole with an avet on it. He had 3 in a row and he asked if I wanted a turn with the setup. I baited it up and threw out and instant hookup.

Highly recommend the San Diego, top notch day boat and Captain Ryan is bad ass.

Find the right kelp and your done, good luck guys!

SUN UP.jpg

BLOODY DECKS.jpg

YFT (2).jpg

SUN DOWN.jpg

Hophead

When’s the next trip
Jun 26, 2004
san diego
Name
ryan
Boat
22’ Seaway
Sweet! Any idea which direction you went (straight west, SW)? It’s been a desert out there and many kelps not holding. Glad you guys got them. San Diego is the most dialed in 3/4 day boat out of SD.

Tom123

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom Furukawa
Boat
None
Wow. Avet on a 3 footer. Pretty cool. Glad ya made it out.

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Beautiful sunset, those guys work hard.

Rambo33

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2018
California
Name
Richard
Boat
Deep sea
I wish I went on that boat that day. I did an overnighter on the Producer Monday night( Tribute canceled out of Seaforth) and we caught limits of catch and release sized yellowtail.

I always fish the San Diego and have never been disappointed. Next trip for sure back on theSan Diego.

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
Compton, Ca
Name
Ahmad
Boat
none
I wish I went on that boat that day. I did an overnighter on the Producer Monday night( Tribute canceled out of Seaforth) and we caught limits of catch and release sized yellowtail.

I always fish the San Diego and have never been disappointed. Next trip for sure back on theSan Diego.
Which landing ?

theredman

Mar 22, 2007
Pismo Beach
Name
Steve merino
Boat
2016 Ranger Bay 2510
Awesome report. I’ve been seeing the full day boats have been getting into them. Any idea where you guys were getting into them?

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
Yeeeew, bloody decks. San Diego is the best day boat in the business imo, no coincidence why it’s so tough to book a trip with them.

DonnieD

Shit...where's the beer
May 27, 2015
SD
Name
Donnie D
Boat
FINBOMB
Need pics of the three footer full bendo as much as I need air

AKerper

Aug 26, 2006
Spring Valley
Name
Aaron Kerper
Boat
everyone else's
Was on that trip. Had my gear up top next to yours. We talked about sturgeon! Really enjoyed fishing with you. That ice fishing rod was too much! I don't normally fish full day due to the crowds, but have fished on the San Diego since the 1990's and have always found that boat and crew to be top notch.

Reactions: Charlesregan

Charlesregan

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 6, 2012
Mission Viejo
Name
Charles Regan
Boat
Not yet!!
Was on that trip. Had my gear up top next to yours. We talked about sturgeon! Really enjoyed fishing with you. That ice fishing rod was too much! I don't normally fish full day due to the crowds, but have fished on the San Diego since the 1990's and have always found that boat and crew to be top notch.
Was a pleasure to meet and fish with you! Yeah was hoping the guy with the 3’er would post his pictures. I saw his buddies taking a bunch of pics.