Frogznlogz

Almost A Member
Jul 23, 2009
Riverside/CA/USA
Name
Sean
Boat Name
na
Im booked for a 1 3/4 day trip on the O-95 so I called the landing to see what they are recommending at the tackle shop as far as jigs or live bait for larger bluefin. I was told they probably won't be targeting Bluefin but heading south for Yellowtail, that the longer trips will be targeting the Bluefin as they have more time to limit on Yellowtail and then search for the Bluefin. Said I'd be fine with a 40# rig. I was under the impression that a 1 3/4 day trip there would be a shot at night time Bluefin, that's why the boat departs at 11AM. I know it's ultimately up to the Captain but I saw another 1 3/4 day boat from the SD fleet limit on big blues. Any thoughts are appreciated. 😊

Upvote 0

Senko888

Almost A Member
Dec 8, 2020
San francisco
Name
Scott
Boat Name
Hobie outback
The landing was fair at setting expectations.

Right now, majority of boats are going paddy hopping down south. There’s a large biomass of bluefin down there as well, but they aren’t really biting day or night. Maybe that will change on your trip.

Bring a heavy setup if you’re inclined to have it whether or not you need it.

Upvote 0

Invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat Name
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
That is a good plan by the O-95. If you knock them flat in AM, and lots of boats are, they can start up the lone looking for BFT. The zones are fairly far apart and BFT are not necessarily going to be high opportunity for a single day and change.

We did the exact samw thing on a 3 day and no one even wanted to keep fishing on day 3 we soaked at SCI.

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat Name
    Seahawk II
    Game theory in practice. Basically starting out by targeting 2nd prize (YT with higher likelihood of succeeding), instead of targeting 1st prize (BFT with lower likelihood of succeeding). Once the limit of five YT per day/person is hit (assuming Mex waters) then the remaining time can be for BFT. This way, everyone comes home with fish.

A 65lb braid mainline (even 50lb if comfortable with 50 main to 50 top) setup that can do 40 & 50 lb top shots will be the go-to (assuming it is NOT rat YT or dodos); would even bring one setup lower just to be sporting. Minimum suggested rig line-up:
    1. 40lb braid main (for 20, 25, 30 top shots)
    2. 65lb braid main (for 40, 50 top shots)
    3. 100lb braid main (for 60, 80, 100 shots...the "just-in-case" setup)
    ...with appropriate and sufficient tackle to match.

YMMV.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Frogznlogz

Almost A Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Riverside/CA/USA
    Name
    Sean
    Boat Name
    na
    Game theory in practice. Basically starting out by targeting 2nd prize (YT with higher likelihood of succeeding), instead of targeting 1st prize (BFT with lower likelihood of succeeding). Once the limit of five YT per day/person is hit (assuming Mex waters) then the remaining time can be for BFT. This way, everyone comes home with fish.

A 65lb braid mainline (even 50lb if comfortable with 50 main to 50 top) setup that can do 40 & 50 lb top shots will be the go-to (assuming it is NOT rat YT or dodos); would even bring one setup lower just to be sporting. Minimum suggested rig line-up:
    1. 40lb braid main (for 20, 25, 30 top shots)
    2. 65lb braid main (for 40, 50 top shots)
    3. 100lb braid main (for 60, 80, 100 shots...the "just-in-case" setup)
    ...with appropriate and sufficient tackle to match.

YMMV.
    Thanks everyone for your replies. That was actually what I had intended to bring: 25, 50, 80 (or 100 with 200lb leader). I was just kind of surprised the guy said I'd only need a 40# tops when there were other 1.75 day boats in the SD fleet that limited on the big blues.

Upvote 0

Senko888

Almost A Member
    Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Hobie outback
    Thanks everyone for your replies. That was actually what I had intended to bring: 25, 50, 80 (or 100 with 200lb leader). I was just kind of surprised the guy said I'd only need a 40# tops when there were other 1.75 day boats in the SD fleet that limited on the big blues.
    Which other 1.75 boats

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    In prior years the summer paddy yellowtails and dorado were just babies, mostly under five pounds each. Hardly worth keeping (and I released) and frustrating. But THIS year the paddy yellowtails are very nice models, often 20# fish, and the dorado are way bigger than the past necktie versions. There are a lot of happy people coming off of the boats at the landings.

I've taken several "Bluefin or Bust" trips, and overall the captains' have given great efforts, but the fish are either in the mood or they aren't. A school that wants to play makes for an epic trip, but it is NO FUN to watch acres of foaming fish that are completely keyed in on micro baits. A 1.75-day that starts out with a day of paddy hopping for decent yellowtail and dorado, and then a night of chasing meter marks for the possibility of bluefin sounds like a good game plan to me. I hope you have a terrific trip, I've been on the O-95 four times and always came back with fish.

Upvote 0

Frogznlogz

Almost A Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Riverside/CA/USA
    Name
    Sean
    Boat Name
    na
    In prior years the summer paddy yellowtails and dorado were just babies, mostly under five pounds each. Hardly worth keeping (and I released) and frustrating. But THIS year the paddy yellowtails are very nice models, often 20# fish, and the dorado are way bigger than the past necktie versions. There are a lot of happy people coming off of the boats at the landings.

I've taken several "Bluefin or Bust" trips, and overall the captains' have given great efforts, but the fish are either in the mood or they aren't. A school that wants to play makes for an epic trip, but it is NO FUN to watch acres of foaming fish that are completely keyed in on micro baits. A 1.75-day that starts out with a day of paddy hopping for decent yellowtail and dorado, and then a night of chasing meter marks for the possibility of bluefin sounds like a good game plan to me. I hope you have a terrific trip, I've been on the O-95 four times and always came back with fish.
    Thanks. I've been on plenty of "Bust" trips myself over the years, and I know Bluefin are assholes. 😅

Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    Zodiac
    Day boats are still running into BFT so worth bringing everything but expect to 90% of the time fish 25-40lb. I'd definitely be dropping a sinking rig down on a paddy once you get a few fish tagged as you never know right

Reactions: Noms
    Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat Name
    15 foot tin can
    I went out on a full day on Monday. Yellowtail and dorado all day. Found biting bluefin on the way home. Had one shot at them. People who only brought the recommended yellowtail gear had a very bad time.

Upvote 0

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
    so cal
    www.socalfishingdynamics.com
    Name
    will
    Boat Name
    Edge Water 188CC/
    3/4 day newport and long beach boats are running into and catching bluefin o_O

Be prepared for anything. Conditions are always changing.

Upvote 0

Dbado1

• Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat Name
    Toyota tundra
    Just got back from a 2.5 day. The Paddy fishing was excellent the tuna fishing was not. I would go with the earlier suggestions...25/30, 40, and a big rig. I also brought a rig to throw jigs. The big rig never came out of the rack (but bring it anyway). Four rigs should cover it. I used one rig 98% of the time. Also the paddy fish aren't line shy so mono is just fine. One less connection to worry about. 1/0 and 2/0 circle hooks. I prefer the hybrid circle hooks as they are easier to pin a bait on.
    The anglers that could toss a bait a short distance and we're the first four or five baits in the water were the most successful. A nose hooked bait, a small star drag reel 15-25n size (easier to toss with), first in the water equaled more hook ups. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat Name
    Seahawk II
    15-40 landed.Some 60 pounders in the mix.

A 30lb could handle those, but it will take a properly set drag (~9 lbs from top-of-full-spool), honed technique, and at least 15+ mins to get the fish to gaff. On a sportboat, with a bunch of simultaneous hookups, a lot can go wrong during the fight...

...my BFT (a very angry one) on 30lb took 45 mins:

That fight, IMHO, was the complete opposite of anything "pretty," but...doable.

YMMV.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Frogznlogz

Almost A Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Riverside/CA/USA
    Name
    Sean
    Boat Name
    na
    Just got back from a 2.5 day. The Paddy fishing was excellent the tuna fishing was not. I would go with the earlier suggestions...25/30, 40, and a big rig. I also brought a rig to throw jigs. The big rig never came out of the rack (but bring it anyway). Four rigs should cover it. I used one rig 98% of the time. Also the paddy fish aren't line shy so mono is just fine. One less connection to worry about. 1/0 and 2/0 circle hooks. I prefer the hybrid circle hooks as they are easier to pin a bait on.
    The anglers that could toss a bait a short distance and we're the first four or five baits in the water were the most successful. A nose hooked bait, a small star drag reel 15-25n size (easier to toss with), first in the water equaled more hook ups. Good luck!
    Yeah, I actually am bringing a decent coffee grinder along I might use to pitch baits in that situation just for easy casting. I bought it for throwing a popper so it has 100lb braid on it. Will tie a 50lb flouro leader, should be a good Yellow killer. I want to be able to kick their asses fast and get another bait out. But why circle hooks for YT, if I may ask? Is that the new norm? I always went with a stout 2/0 or 3/0 J hook...

Reactions: Dbado1
    Upvote 0

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    Yeah, I actually am bringing a decent coffee grinder along I might use to pitch baits in that situation just for easy casting. I bought it for throwing a popper so it has 100lb braid on it. Will tie a 50lb flouro leader, should be a good Yellow killer. I want to be able to kick their asses fast and get another bait out. But why circle hooks for YT, if I may ask? Is that the new norm? I always went with a stout 2/0 or 3/0 J hook...
    I’ve caught bluefin in the area of 40lbs fairly quick on a sportboat no problem with a Penn Fierce III spinning combo spooled with 30lb mono.

Upvote 0

Frogznlogz

Almost A Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Riverside/CA/USA
    Name
    Sean
    Boat Name
    na
    I’ve caught bluefin in the area of 40lbs fairly quick on a sportboat no problem with a Penn Fierce III spinning combo spooled with 30lb mono.
    I caught a 50+ pounder on a bass rod with 25lb test on a small avet single speed 1st gen reel 😅. It doesn't look that big there, but I was about 300lbs in that picture (and my back was going out).

Screenshot_20220807-143939_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220807-143951_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220807-144043_Gallery.jpg

Upvote 0

Dbado1

• Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat Name
    Toyota tundra
    At first I was using J hooks and lost two right off the bat. Shortly after that the captain said everyone should be using a 2/0 circle. I didn't lose any after that. Perhaps it was operator error. I have always used j hooks for this kind of fishing so I was a bit surprised by his recommendation as well but it worked.
    A friend came with on this trip and she had never fished off shore so I set her up with a 40# spinning rig and she killed it! When she was taking a nap I put a sinking SW Minnow stick bait on it and was casting with it to breaking fish. It worked very well for that. I would bring it. Another angler had a 10' spinning rod set up and he was successful throwing jigs with it.

Upvote 0

jigsaurus

• May 13, 2010
    West sonoma
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat Name
    12' plastic cod killer
    I'd bring a 100# setup for jigging. 250-400 gram knife jigs with upgraded hooks and heavy bite leader. It's way better to have it just in case there are bft that wanna die.

Upvote 0