San Clemente Island Saturday with a side of offshore action 8/18/18

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by get some, Aug 20, 2018.

1. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    Matt and I made the run to San Clemente Island on Saturday morning. Cleared the Los Alamitos jetty at 6:00 a.m. and headed for the west end of the island. Seas were calm so we cruised at 30 MPH and kept an eye out for paddies on the way across. We found a good sized one with a couple birds on it a few miles off the backside of Cat. Matt had a couple of followers on his first cast with a Yozuri Hydro Minnow but the fish disappeared after that. We were marking quite a bit of bait on the paddy so I got out the wash down hose and sprayed it into the water next to the paddy. My ruse worked as planned as less than a minute later several dorado came in to investigate and Matt tricked one into biting the hard bait. Probably could have hooked a second fish as they were pretty fired up but had to get the gaff out of the hatch and by that time Matt's fish was ready to gaff.
    39409420_10209775909314506_2028304112331784192_o.jpg

By the time we had the fish put away another boat, the only other one for miles around, was on plane and making a beeline for us. Realizing just how much I hate poorly behaved offshore fishermen, I decided to leave the paddy rather than trying to fish around some paddy poaching donkey. Didn't see anything else worth stopping for on the way across and were fishing by 8:30.
    39467244_10209775855313156_5272659731272433664_o.jpg
    Fished a lot of the same stuff that had been biting the last few weeks but the bite was spotty with some spots yielding zero fish and others being wide open despite the fact that conditions were exactly the same. Got a few weedless fish but most of our bites came on the bigger hard baits. No real giants but lots of nice aggressive biters. It was starting to get breezy at noon and we'd already caught probably close to 100 fish so we headed home to beat the wind. Nice ride home and back in the harbor around 2:00 p.m.
    Untitled.png
    I doubt that Saturday's paddy poacher is reading this, but if he is I'd suggest spending more time looking for brown stuff floating on the water and less time looking for boats; it will really improve the results of his angling efforts. While I don't spend much time offshore fishing, over the last few years I've noticed that there is a pattern as to how fish holding kelp paddies orient themselves to the east end of Catalina.

On the frontside of the island, kelp paddies that hold fish are often found in a line that runs from the end of the shipping lanes straight through the Avalon Bank and continues along the island's final drop off. On the backside of the island the paddies with fish on them are usually found along the line that runs from the edge of the ridge up to the island's final drop off around 3 or 4 miles off the east end. The red star shows where Saturday's paddy was. If there are fish on paddies in the area, like there are now, in my limited experience they are most likely found along those lines. Not a sure thing but just something to file in the back of your brain in case you ever find yourself looking around that area.

2. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    But boats are so much easier to find than kelp and fish!

Zika, bajaandy, 909MARIO and 2 others like this.
  3. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Side of delicious. Nice work buddy.

get some likes this.
  4. hbouldin1216

hbouldin1216 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat:
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    Matt's got the best deal in town! Bow to himself while you drive the boat and take all the glamour shots. Another awesome report.

mrkrabs and get some like this.
  5. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Great report!

I know its super easy to find paddies while going 30MPH haha (paddies aren't your target anyways...).

Love the hose trick.

Love the map of the general flow of paddies.

Keep up the informative posts with those little 'tricks' and maps that us amateurs don't know. That's what separates your reports from the others.

Zika, pacificscout, tubbs93 and 3 others like this.
  6. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    My experience has been that it's not hard to find kelp paddies in calm water, but finding one that bites is a challenge. Probably the reason many people look for boats, rather than their own fish... It's just easier as long as you have thick skin.

get some likes this.
  7. get some

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    And that right there sums up why I fish bass. Few enough people do it that I don’t need to worry about developing thick skin. Lol

It must be depressing to leave the dock knowing that there’s a very good chance that you’re going to spend your day annoying other boaters.

Tunateen90, Fisha, BrentH and 14 others like this.
  8. Hookdown

Hookdown Member

Name:
    Johnson
    Boat:
    Mine
    Or being annoyed ..................................

pacificscout and get some like this.
  9. SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    Most fisherman dislike it when we find the paddy and others join in or "poach it". At the same time, most of those same guys seem to think it's ok when they do that to others. It's rare that we are on a paddy and other boats don't stop to fish it. I'm sure there are guys out there that won't do that, but I havent found them yet.

I also think that the harder it is to find paddies in a zone, the more likely it is for other boats to come see why your sitting on a spot in the middle of nowhere. I've been there too.

I used to feel the same way as you, but this year it has finally sunk in that we will crash a paddy found by someone else just as much as others crash paddies we find. My pet peeve is when those guys don't practice good paddy etiquette (don't ask to come in, slide in too fast, drift too close, snag the paddy, dive in [spearfishing] when the first guys are still fishing H&L, etc...)

This past weekend, a couple of guys waved us in on a mid sized paddy, (then a 3rd skiff with divers also joined) and we all were courteous and fished the paddy successfully. Although our first priority was H&L fishing, we wanted to try spearfishing. Both us and the 3rd group waited until the first guys were done fishing (told us it was ok with them) to get in the water and shoot fish.

It was a really good experience and I'm gonna try to be more like those guys when I have the opportunity to. Besides, people are gonna keep crashing the paddy even if you dont call them in anyways. Let's just hope proper paddy etiquette is followed.

Thanks for the report and your insight on how the paddies drift. 100+ fish is a great day!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  10. 909MARIO

909MARIO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mario
    Boat:
    CABO 226 (Yamaha F250)
    You haven't heard? Just tie a dock line to the paddy aND Tow that sucker away with you when the Googans crash your party. LOL

gingervco1 and get some like this.
  11. dctrjayyy

dctrjayyy Member

Name:
    Joshua
    Boat:
    whaler

THIS!

12. luckyfisher7

luckyfisher7 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    18 whaler "Nishimaru"

13. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Recently I had a very strange thing happen, we were done fishing making our way back to the dock, we see a boat stopped on our line back home and as we get closer he is stopped on a nice paddy, we adjust course to swing wide and give him space, from pretty far away we see him waving. My buddy and I were up in the tower with no radio, we slow down because we aren't sure why he is waving. We get a little closer putting in, and the guy yells "72". We drop down the tower into the lower helm with the radio and the guy is like "Hi there, come on in here there are tons of fish on this one".

We say to eachother "What the F#ck?!, this guy wants to share his paddy"? We slide in and don't hook anything, he got one to go, a nice dorado. It was the damndest thing, we didn't even consider it and only came in because of his signalling (I honestly thought he was in distress, or pissed because he though we were running on "his" paddy). Not sure who he is, but he's a class act, and it was pretty much the first nice thing I've ever seen a PB do for a stranger.

14. Eatmorfish

Eatmorfish Livin' on borrowed time

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    2018 234 Mako CC
    Thanks for the great report, luv and look forward to your articles in PCS. I don't mind sharing a paddy I've come across, as long as the what you call "poacher" practices proper etiquette. There's plenty of fish in the sea, and (imho) can be shared by all.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    dctrjayyy and get some like this.
  15. get some

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    Just to be clear, I’m not calling the second, third or tenth person that comes in on a paddy a poacher just because they didn’t find it first. My issue is with the guys who are out there intentionally fishing for other boats. In this example we were stopped and not hooked up when a boat that had to be half a mile away made a hard right turn to run straight to us at full speed. When he was within 100 yards and still on plane I made the decision that he was going to be one of those guys and chose to let him have the paddy to himself and whoever else wanted to join the gang bang later.

SouthBayKiller, Fisha and repo805 like this.
  16. geebee

geebee Member

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    get some's persona reminds me of this famous quote:

Keep away from people who try to belittle your dreams. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you, too, can become great.

- Mark Twain (Writer, lecturer, 1935-1910)

get some likes this.
  17. Fisha

Fisha skipper

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
    Very informative post once again.....thank you

18. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Never though of spraying water to simulate bait, nice.

No shit, some people need to relax. Same dudes that drive a school into the depths.

get some likes this.
  19. bajaandy

bajaandy Condition One

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
    Bingo.
    I wrote a nice report a few weeks back and got bitched out by the "it's not your paddy" whiners of BD when clearly the issue was boats fishing for stopped boats. I've said it before and I'll say it again: It is a practice I will not condone nor participate in. I believe it shows a lack of integrity on the part of the boat drivers that do it.

Mikewantstofish, get some and repo805 like this.
  20. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Many fishermen with good paddy etiquette can work a paddy together and all can catch fish. It's the poachers that show no class, run over the paddy and/or breaking fish that screw it up for others!

Glad you made a good day out of it!