San Clemente Island 6/4

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by NewportMatt, Jun 5, 2018.

1. NewportMatt

NewportMatt Old Spool

Name:
    Captain Matt Schubert
    Boat:
    Frances B - WorldCat 26
    Fished Clemente Island yesterday. Fished all frontside spots. Fishing was outstanding with all you want calicos eager to eat the top water jig. Also, some log size barracuda and 3-4lb bonita. The artificials outfished the bait with all the species. Had great sardines from Newport. Water temp was 65. Current was a little funky mostly running into the island at times but it was variable.

Fish were all over every type of fishing we did including: slow trolling sardines, trolling Rapalas, live bait flyline/dropper/carolina, and casting artificials including waxwings/Tady's/swimbaits.

Went 0 for 2 on some monster yellows. Both on waxwings casted onto boils. Had my Lexa 300 drag buttoned down and still couldn't stop the fish in 100ft of water. These were some BIG yellows. These were located both at Purse Seine Rock. They didn't touch the finbait all day.

Marked a million fish, caught probably a 100 of them. All released. This island is jugged with extremely aggressive top water fish right now. The summer bite is in full swing out there. Only saw two other private boaters all day but did also see the Freelance, Pursuit, Ultra, and Fury.

Fished Cat a couple days prior 6/1 and the fishing was good as well but Clemente was phenomenally better on all accounts. Saw some big yellows boiling at Cat outside Church rock but couldn't get them to bite, no other yellows spotted all day between Church to Hen Rock. Jugged with bones through that whole stretch though. Calicos not up on surface as much at Cat for us either.

imagejpeg_0003.jpg

2. cosmin

cosmin Newbie

Name:
    cosmin surgent
    Boat:
    none...
    Great report, thanks for that! I'll be out there next weekend. It's been far too long for me.

3. Donkey Nick

Donkey Nick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat:
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    Thanks for the report. You saw the Pursuit and the Freelance at Clemente? 3/4 day boats making the run to Clemente?

4. bazzturd

bazzturd I fish in the ocean, not the internet

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Gwendolyn
    No way those boats where there. Not trying to be a dick. But it's like 99% impossible those guys went there. I don't think John would say he was at Cat and not be there and I also don't think he would have gone from San Pedro to Clemente at the 10 kts he usually goes.

6/4 report

http://www.Terrence's website/e107_plugins/landing/audio.php?btrack.161.1528162170

5. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Outstanding report.
    Reads like a great trip.
    Thank you for posting

6. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Heard the weather was awful in the afternoon, glad you guys had a few good days out there and hooked some big boys!

7. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    No way day boats were at San Clemente Island, it takes a typical sport boat 6 to 7 hours to get to the island, making it impossible to run a day trip. That said, it's possible for one of those boats to run an over night, but I don't think they have been doing it, you probably saw the Thunderbird and Freedom.

Paul Ward likes this.
  8. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Great report, Matt. Spring has sprung, and I am seriously chomping at the bit for my 1.5 birthday trip on the Fortune next week. No more people, please. The load is still light...:D

The Pursuit and Freelance would be the only boats in question at SCI. I thought they were primarily Cat day boats. Maybe a mix-up with the islands.

Who frigging cares! It's busting open!

NewportMatt likes this.
  9. NewportMatt

NewportMatt Old Spool

Name:
    Captain Matt Schubert
    Boat:
    Frances B - WorldCat 26
    My bad on wrong boat names. One was out of Newport though as I recognized it. But didnt spend time getting to know which cattle boats were out there. Shouldnt have posted up wrong names. The ultra pulled up in my chum line though so I know they were there for sure.

Donkey Nick likes this.
  10. Duong_ha_1

Duong_ha_1 Member

Name:
    Tuan
    Boat:
    None
    That ultra boat was a dick running through your chump line. He also run through our chump line that day....my friends was pissed so he did a donut around them.

NewportMatt and justinb like this.
  11. NewportMatt

NewportMatt Old Spool

Name:
    Captain Matt Schubert
    Boat:
    Frances B - WorldCat 26
    You guys must have been in that other catamaran? Saw you guys and what I think was 'Stoked on Fishing' Shea's boat out there (or another boat that is a Simrad boat). Only two personal boats I saw all day.

Saw you guys on that nice bonita/barracuda school that was out there just north of White Rock. They were boiling ALL day on that spot. So much fun!

rick rouland likes this.
  12. rick rouland

rick rouland Member

Name:
    rick rouland
    Boat:
    12' SUP
    175AEEA7-0D45-4869-90B6-78098FAA6AF4.jpeg We found similar on 6/3. We were fortunate to find 6 YT that were willing too.
    Most of our DP bait rolled by time we found the YT so 1/2 bait other half were on surface irons.
    Our YT turned on right after high tide.

Duong_ha_1 and mkikkawa like this.
  13. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Ah yes, chumps messing up the chum.

14. Cole_cos20

Cole_cos20 Master Baiter

Name:
    Cole
    Boat:
    21' Shamrock "Reel Happy"
    your friend was also a dickhead and almost ran aground...never do a donut around another boat no matter what, don't put peoples lives in danger. That's just immature and stupid

NewportMatt likes this.
  15. Duong_ha_1

Duong_ha_1 Member

Name:
    Tuan
    Boat:
    None
    So it’s ok for them to run our chump line over? Man fuck that shit....What goes around comes around.
    Worse case scenario we will rescue them if they are in danger...believe that.

This happen to us twice already...

16. NewportMatt

NewportMatt Old Spool

Name:
    Captain Matt Schubert
    Boat:
    Frances B - WorldCat 26
    In all fairness the Ultra went through our chumline nice and slow although they should have been off the bow as every other cattle boat and private boater was doing all day with each other (we gotta remember 90% of the guys on the water are good people who follow good etiquette). However, when fishing getting mad or getting even is not the answer. Be the good you want to see in others, right? Besides when I am fishing, I am fishing. Doing anything besides that isn't fishing.

17. NewportMatt

NewportMatt Old Spool

Name:
    Captain Matt Schubert
    Boat:
    Frances B - WorldCat 26
    Wish we would have found those schoolies! Sweet! We just found the homeguards which are killer fun but SO hard to land. Nice work on those YT and the big ol' Cudas
    *Pressurized bait tanks almost completely eliminate bait rolling in the tank (as long as you do not overcrowd). You might want to look into that especially if making SCI runs often.

rick rouland likes this.
  18. Duong_ha_1

Duong_ha_1 Member

Name:
    Tuan
    Boat:
    None
    Ur completely right...but it’s hard to stay compose when they are yelling at you with dirty language that God’s know where learn it from. Oh well.