NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
www.oldspoolfishingcharters.com
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
With the lack of any substancial report coming from SCI for the last couple weeks on BD or Dope I thought I would share what I saw out there last two days.

Fished frontside usual spots and Pyramid Head. All fish caught on sardine or jig

Lots of bonita. Everywhere you look on frontside it is jugged with them. Some up to about 12 pounds with most in the cookie cutter 4-6 pound range.

The calicos are going full speed as well but when you drop down in the water column you can pull out some real big ones.

Cuda seem to be drying up. Pulled out a couple on last trip out but this most recent trip we didn't run into any.

Offshore maybe 1/2 mile we saw some tuna up on the surface. Was unable to tell type/size but ran out there twice unable to get them to stay up longer than 15-20 seconds.

Yellowtail are everywhere. You really need to work the water column to find them though. Surface, middle, and bottom are all holding yellows and it ranges from spot to spot on where they want to hold. We ran into some 5-6 pounders but most (90%) are in the 10-20 pound range.

Water temp is 68 and clear blue. Current was running uphill both days. Literally ZERO other boats on this stuff. I love when everyone is talking about yellows at Cat. Perfect time to go to Clemente. At fuel dock back in harbor was told by a very reputable source there was a squid float at White Rock last couple nights. Finbait still worked for us though.

20181104_115006.jpg 20181104_121633.jpg 20181104_121745.jpg 20181104_155523.jpg

Azarkon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
One reason you saw zero boats was that the navy had most of the island closed according to their schedule. Guess they didn't end up doing it? I was actually there on Sunday, but back side, because I thought C and D were closed along with A. Heard the guns going off the entire day, so figured I didn't want to risk going into any of the danger zones.

Another factor was probably the dense fog in the Catalina Channel and the San Clemente Channel, which didn't lift most of the day. Did make for a beautiful scene, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: CartridgeCalls

IrieMitch

Waterman
May 18, 2010
Newport Beach, CA
Name
Mitch
Boat
Captain of Fight On! (55 Viking), Thunderbird Sportfishing
Sounds like such a fun trip, thanks for the info!

NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
www.oldspoolfishingcharters.com
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
One reason you saw zero boats was that the navy had most of the island closed according to their schedule. Guess they didn't end up doing it? I was actually there on Sunday, but back side, because I thought C and D were closed along with A. Heard the guns going off the entire day, so figured I didn't want to risk going into any of the danger zones.

Another factor was probably the dense fog in the Catalina Channel and the San Clemente Channel, which didn't lift most of the day. Did make for a beautiful scene, though.
Fog was thick on the island but the channel wasn't bad. Nothing good electronics won't take care of.

The closures didn't affect us. We were fishing zone B and then into C once it opened at 3pm. We heard other boats hailed by them to move so they were enforcing. We just had a game plan to work around it.

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Quality fishing and catching man.
That's a lot of great information you shared, good on'ya.
Great pictures, thank you for sharing. John.

Tunaslam

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
That's a fantastic day of fishing, right on and congrats!

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Great detailed report. You guys did well

Triple555

Captain
Aug 3, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Name
Justin
Boat
23 Seaswirl "Seasquirrel"
Thx for sharing.....been there twice this year after blanking on bft.....got the yellows both times....need to take my girl there soon....she's never been to SCI.....nice job, good info thx. :jig:

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Wow, I should've gone to Clemente!

Great job on the yellows and thanks for the report!