San Clemente Bluefin 10-17-16

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Ashearer76, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Ashearer76

Ashearer76 Newbie

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    I wish..
    I've been a lurker for a long time. This is my first fish report on BD's.

I had been wanting to get in on the Bluefin action at Clemente for awhile and having this week off I decided to jump on an overnight trip. I wanted to fish in comfort so I went with The Outrider out of 22nd St. Landing in San Pedro which is a "11 pack boat".

We did the usual and got baited up, listened to the Captain's speech regarding the tackle and fishing plan for the following morning. The concentration would be on Bluefin and if time allowed a little rockfishing. I rigged the 5 rods I brought along, a 30, 40, 50lb set up, a jig rod and rockfish set up. I retired to my bunk and went lights until the next morning.

We promptly started our drifts as the Capt located the schools. Two anglers hooked up but it was short lived as both lost their fish for different reasons. I hooked up shortly after on my 30# outfit and 10 minutes into the I broke off, [email protected]!! It looked as if I had gut hooked the fish and he sawed me off.

The Capt was not overly pleased with us for obvious reasons, lol. He made a move to look for another school because he was convinced that we scared this one off at this point.

From this point on we made a few moves, lost and landed multiple fish. I switched to fishing my 40# outfit from the earlier loss on. A Trinidad 20A with 65# braid, a 40# mono top shot with a 4' flouro leader paired with a Phenix 809 XHJ.

I hooked another fish that I fought for the better part of an hour. The Capt stuck with me for the entire fight. I must've went around the boat 4 or 5 times. Being a total noobie at fighting a fish this size I was overly cautious about putting too much pressure on the fish. I didn't want to lose it! I didn't know how much pressure my line or rod could handle.

At times I thought my rod was going to break into two, it was doubled over throughout the battle. It turns out that that both line and rod can handle more than I initially thought. As the hour mark came to I about had it. My lower back was saying F' You to me as well as my forearms. I finally said F' it and pulled harder than I had been. What a relief once the gaff was stuck! I landed my personal best Bluefin, personal best anything for that matter. All of 50+ lbs as it maxed out the boats digital scale.

6 Bluefin total for us with the biggest going about 65 lbs using a length and girth formula. However there was no doubt that this was the big fish just by sight.

image.jpg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Erawk

Erawk Get bent!

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    21' Sea Ray
    Congratulations, that is awesome.

Ashearer76 likes this.
  3. DODGERS27

DODGERS27 Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    2001 17ft trophy cc
    Congrats

Ashearer76 likes this.
  4. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    n/a
    I was just looking at their 2 day trip leaving Sunday. I don't know much about the boat (bunk room, bathroom/shower situation, food, deckhand attentiveness, etc). Could you share some thoughts with me about that or anything else? PM me, thanks!

5. Ashearer76

Ashearer76 Newbie

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    I wish..
    Pm
    pm sent

6. svue

svue I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Vue
    Boat:
    Everglade 290
    Nice fish there

Ashearer76 likes this.
  7. BAJA.DESERT.RAT

BAJA.DESERT.RAT Member

Name:
    DA RAT
    Boat:
    NONE
    why pm ? please post your thoughts here.

i'm sure the crew was good as is the skipper. just can't beat tucker as your skipper.

thank you,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Ashearer76 likes this.
  8. Ashearer76

Ashearer76 Newbie

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    I wish..
    Sure, I really liked Tucker's operation. He did exactly what I had been reading about his outfit before deciding to fish with him. He put us on fish. The crew knew their way around the boat and were really helpful. I'd fish with Outrider again, most definitely.

9. alex morataya

alex morataya Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    none
    redemption! Congratulations on your fish!
    glad you got your fish after losing the first one. i too, learned on my last trip, that my rod and line can handle more than i thought. it wasn't till the deckhand tighten my drag and showed me how to pull on 40lb line...after that, my fish were coming over the rail quickly....hope the fish stick around for a little longer....

thanks for sharing.

Ashearer76 likes this.
  10. Ashearer76

Ashearer76 Newbie

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    I wish..
    I too learned a thing or two. The Capt tightened my drag also at one point. Like I had mentioned toward the end I just pulled up and wound down. 40# can handle a lot of pressure.... Now I know.

I thought my chances were slim being that the bite had seemed to slow and I was a little late. Glad I got one.

11. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    Nice fish!!! Great point about fishing hard.

Ashearer76 likes this.
  12. flyliner

flyliner @thereelflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Great report and congrats!

Sardines or squid?

Ashearer76 likes this.
  13. mberggre

mberggre Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice fish! Learn from it and adjust your technique. I was on a 50lb bluefin for about 40 minutes with a single speed reel in 2013. I figured my gear out and got a 90lber in 20 minutes this year. It's hard to get practice on this grade of fish.

I might have to make a San Clemente run.

Ashearer76 likes this.
  14. Ashearer76

Ashearer76 Newbie

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    I wish..
    Thanks.. We were using only squid, 4/0 hook, 3/4 oz slider. Our sardines were only used as chum.