San Carlos, SON. Bite is on!

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by FM-Outside, Jul 2, 2019.

1. FM-Outside

FM-Outside Member

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Anchor Baby
    Fished San Carlos, Sonora last fri-sun. Tons of stripers and small to medium dorado around 15-25 miles out (biggest we landed was pushing 20 lost a couple that looked 25-30. Saw a few sails and hooked a nice blue for a minute but it made quick work of the thin leadered dorado feather it hit. Ballyhoos are key and those doing the best are running circle hook rigs with the reels on free spool, clicker on, and using quick snaps to hold the line. We had a few jig strikes after running out of bait but it was a night and day difference in the amount of action we got. There's fish everywhere but our best fishing was around 15 miles out on the 170. We'll be back this weekend, not fishing the tournament but it'll be interesting to see what comes in. Rumor is a boat lost a 400 blue and landed a 240 on Sunday. Grew up fishing down there in the 90s and I had heard the warm water fishing had gotten pretty bad for several years. Seems like we picked a good year to buy a boat down there, had a fantastic yellowtail season this spring and this weekend was some of the best fishing I've ever had anywhere. Sunday morning we left the marina at 530 so we could get back early and hit the road. We landed 7 dorado and 2 marlin before 9 am. 5 of the dorado came from one stop and the marlin came from a triple hookup. Back at the marina by 930, packed up had a nice breakfast and were back in the US by 4pm. That's the good life! Dorado.jpg Dorado1.jpg marlin.jpg dorado2.jpg marlin 1.png ceviche.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  2. FM-Outside

FM-Outside Member

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Anchor Baby
    oops... just realized I posted this in the baja reports. Admins, please move to the mainland Mex forum.

3. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    It’s close enough to Baja :)

Great report and pics. Congrats on epic fishing!

4. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Yeah, we will just leave it. Thanks for the report!

bobrehfuss and FM-Outside like this.
  5. Bill Erhardt

Bill Erhardt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Erhardt
    Boat:
    Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
    Great report wherever it ends up.

6. fishbuck

fishbuck Catch of the day!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    ?
    Nice action!

7. Rx Fisherman

Rx Fisherman Newbie

Name:
    Memo
    Boat:
    Whatever
    Great report, but better Fish...i hear no big fish for big prizes in the tournament??

8. FM-Outside

FM-Outside Member

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Anchor Baby
    It's definitely quality over quantity but the amount of action is off the charts double digit billfish days are definitely possible any given day. Stripers are the most prevalent, I'd say our average fish was around 65lb and we did release one over 100 on Friday. there's been a few blues spotted and fewer landed. As far as I know SC has never really been a place you target them. I wasn't in the tournament but there was constant radio traffic all day Saturday with tons of releases. not sure what the minimum weights were for billfish but some one on the San Carlos forums said a boat released a weighable Sail cause they didn't wanna kill it.
    I heard one dorado made the 15 pound limit at around 20 pounds. Captain friend of mine caught a 28 Saturday but wasnt in it either. We've hooked a few bulls that looked over 30 but the big boys are definitely MIA which has been the case across the whole cortez for quite some time. SC doesn't get much attention online these days. If anyone's considering it I say its well worth the trip right now.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Rx Fisherman likes this.
  9. bays90

bays90 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
    great report

FM-Outside likes this.
  10. Rx Fisherman

Rx Fisherman Newbie

Name:
    Memo
    Boat:
    Whatever
    yes i hear the same, good numbers for billfish & dorado, thats very fun... the big prizes was up 200 pounds for marlin (car), up 70 pounds for sailfish (car) & up 40 pounds for dorado (dingui+money).