Same old, same old tired story...

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by fishsmith, Aug 8, 2013.

1. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    Went fishing yesterday 8-7-13 at the pens off Ensenada. I'm tired. Left at 3:30 am flat seas in the morning took us only 2.5 hours to get there. Brought the bait bags for extra bait, and extra gas which was not needed. Drifted several pens and caught fish between them all. All on long soak, flyline 30# FC leader 2/0 circle hooks and large sardines. Went 5 for 5: one football, three 30-40# and one PB 50#. Wanted to celebrate, but I realized I accidently left my beer on the table in the garage :( Water was 67-68 degrees and undescribable purple-blue. Last fish was caught at noon. In the past I've just cut a gill, basic bleed and ice them down. This time I employed a more extensive on board fish processing technique than in the past. Saw it on an episode of Inside Sportfishing last week. Each fish was gilled and bled in a bucket (50# would not fit in the bucket) and rinsed until the rinse water ran clear. Then gutted (guts were warm) and stuffed with ice and into the holds with ice and a little salt water. Luckily, I brought extra ice and and extra styrofoam cooler without jinxing myself. Pulled out the old isenglass and headed up hill with a lean to the west to reduce the beating of 20 knot gusts and look for paddies. Trolled for nothing. 4-5 foot wind waves made it hard to find them. Stopped on three good sized ones about 20-10 miles SW of the islands-all dry. Same old, same old-I'm tired after another day of awesome fishing! What a great year!

Attached Files:

2. Wild West

Wild West Wild West

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    25 Skipjack SC
    Excellent day of fishing! Too bad about the beer... Any pens closer than off Ensenada?

3. Darylfw

Darylfw Member

Name:
    Daryl
    Boat:
    29' Pro-line, The Four D's
    Nice job.

4. alysonha

alysonha Newbie

Name:
    Aly
    Boat:
    26' Striper CC
    Nice catch Jim ..Congratulation ,way to go.. nice photo with the 50lbs Bft . Definetely one of the memory photo to keep.

5. slickone

slickone Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Parker
    So did this method help vs the old way? Cut the tail also? Interesting.

6. jsl

jsl Member

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    none
    Great job and thanks for the report

Scott

7. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express
    Must get boring catching the same old Bluefin all the time. Wish I could relate. Nice report.

8. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Solid work Jim, nice fish! Cool report and pics too! LOL

9. Can't Parker

Can't Parker Me

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    2530 Parker
    Well done! Thanks for the report

10. HBTRANSPLANT

HBTRANSPLANT fISH fINDER

Name:
    craig
    Boat:
    Many, but are none are mine
    I love these boring stories, I love hearing them, I love telling them !! That bendo picture is a wall hanger for sure :appl:

11. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    Very nice...

12. amnajar

amnajar Raider

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Which ever one will have me...
    Awesome!

X2 on the beer!

13. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    Thanks everyone, I'm back at work today after summer vacation. Time to call in sick!
    -There are pens off the South island, more of a navigational hazard (especially at night) than a FAD. Sometimes in the winter storms they break open and you can pick up 70# in the I.B. surf! I believe there are some near the 425, don't know for sure. There are about 6-10 off of Ensenada and they for a string of megalike paddies (pennies?) and the big BFT are there! I guess they are saying goodbye to there friends in the pen before they take atrip to Japan. A lot of 1.5 and even longer range boats are there saving gas (finally).
    -As far as the fish prep, I did this after the bite slowed. We just bled and iced first like usual. 3 hours later when I gutted and packed them with ice, the guts were still warm-that can't be good for the meat. The cut in the tail releases more blood. It was amazing, at least 5 times I dumped 5 gallons of bloody water per fish before it was clean rinse water, and that was after gills were cut, basic bleed on the deck and then iced. Then more blood when I gutted them, I'm surprised we didn't have a shark on the stern! This kept the deck cleaner too! We caught some fish after the bloodletting so it didn't affect the fishing afterwards. Had sashimi last night and it was way better than the fish I caught three weeks ago and did not do the new prep technique. Wifey was very happy with my meat!
    -Same old "I'm really tired and happy after such a day" not bored. When that fish is pulling I'm actually 100% alive! I was ziplining in Big Bear last week, and it was boring compared to pulling on these fish! To tell you the truth I've never had two really successful tuna trips back to back on my boat until now. There is hope for everyone!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  14. Sloberdog

Sloberdog Member

Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:
    SeaPro 206 WAC F150
    Way to get them and thanks for the fish bleeding tips. Question for you, do you just cut the tail off to bleed them?

15. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    The cut on the tail is similar to taking your finger off the top of the straw that lets the liquid go right through. The blood comes out through the gills, wicked tuna style. Of course afterwards I cut off the tail completely and nailed them to the fence to dry. I'm camping at Camp Pendleton today, and last night we took some of the thin slices of tuna and put them on marshmallows skewers with a little bit of pepper, garlic and salt and smoke them in the wood fire, tuna bacon was incredible.