rock&reel

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 26, 2007
Downey
Name
Dale
Boat
Proline
My son and I are spending 10 day in Samara, Costa Rica in mid March. Any fishing info...panga, beach locations would be very apprciated

Team Karma

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 29, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
Kyle
Boat
54 Sculley: Karma 3
I have heard of the Kingfisher out of Carillo. I do not know much about their operation (have never heard any first hand experiences) but they have been there a long time.

Carillo is one of the best locations to fish in Costa Rica, especially during March so you guys should find some excellent fishing!

Kingfisher's website:
http://www.costaricabillfishing.com/

jimfrogs

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 19, 2007
Oakland CA
Name
roach
Boat
sold them all
I love that place, it is still small and way less tourists around with great fishing close to the harbor.

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
I've fished out of Guanamar Resort at Carillo just around the point from Samara. There are lots of panga commercial fishermen on the beaches so if you know some Spanish and are an experienced angler with your own gear you can save some money with the locals. Howver, I usually advise newcomers to play it safe and use an established guide service as Kyle noted above. Some of the beaches (e.g. Carillo) have been designated by Costa Rica for indigenous people only so there are few hotels near the water (just the fishing camps). The beaches are not pristine white sand either. By the way, when I was there we had to run all the way to Punta Blanca to find any billfish.

Tony Peña
"The Roving Angler"

PhilE

Jan 8, 2009
newburyport, ma usa
Name
phil
Boat
n/a
I fish out of Carillo every year - this will be my 6th year running. I fish with Rick Ruhlow who runs the Kingfisher. He runs a great operation and I highly recommend him (will be on his boat on Feb 28th and March 2nd - can't wait). Also agree with the post above - Richard on the Gamefisher has a great reputation. A couple of other boats to try are Flamingo II with Capt Gene Watson (fished him in 2008 and had a great day), and Wet Ass with Sonny Kocsis (Sonny was just featured in Saltwater Sportsman magazine for a story about fishing out of Carillo). Samara/Carillo has become our go to family vacation spot. Its tough to beat the fishing/beach combo it offers. People are amazingly friendly.
Good luck