Offshore Salty Dreams late season trip of a lifetime!!

PENN

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
Name
Julian
Boat
Boat hoe
So Monday morning i get a text from Derek asking if i wanted to go deep drop Tuesday so i fudged some priorities around and said let’s do it. Monday mid day the yellowfin numbers start hitting the inter web and they are lights out amazing. So like clock work i get the second text that afternoon saying it’s gonna be a combo trip bring a couple rods. The yellowfin fishing for us on salty has been real hit or miss for us all season. I unfortunately have been on all the unsuccessful yellowfin trips this yr to the tune of after 5 i lost count.
We take off from Dana landing around 530 grab a scoop of small bait and motor to the numbers. We get in the area and see a couple private boaters and 4 cattle boats so we start looking. Didn’t take long for the marks to show so we start a drift and dumped 2 nets of bait and in sec all hell broke loose every bait in the water got bit. First two fish were some 5-7 lb skippies with the 3rd being a yellowfin, after that it was mostly yellowfin. If it wasn’t for having to gaff fish we probably would of had triples going all morning. After i grabbed a couple yellowfin for the limit i grab the popper to try my luck seeing as i was still looking for my first popper fish. Second cast i get blown up on pulls some drag then I’m off, reel in and try again. About the 5th cast i see the flash under my bait seconds before he come totally out of the water and crushes it, this time i giver her a hard hook set for the win. Most of the fish were in the 20-25 lb range with some getting to 30-35 lb and the smaller ones about 15lb. Now we are 3 from limits time to call in the numbers seeing as only one boat was within bino distance at this point. We got the first boat (Parker) to come in nice slow and even called in to make sure he was good. The next couple of boats didn’t give 2 shits about making a good approach with the worst offender being a Parker, basically waited till he was 200 feet off our stern to motor down. At this point we were limited out and start dumping the rest of our bait and trying to get out of the parking lot to the tune of 7-10 privates and 2 cattle boats on the outskirts with a 3rd underway.
Seeing as it was 930am and 5 o'clock somewhere we cracked the plugs and a cold one and got to cleaning. We pointed her to the sword grounds, cooked some food and regrouped for the deep drop. Drop 3 is where the magic happened and our buoy falls over. We get tight on the rod and we are on, with Mike on the reel for his first sword we start to coach him and work the fish. Ten min into the fight he pulls drag does some head shakes and comes loose. We reel in and the bait is destroyed no head and chaffing all the way up the leader and by now we only have one more shot. We reset and drop it like it hot hoping to get another shot before dark. With only 20 min left the buoy rod goes off again i reel like hell and can’t fill any weight at all. Knowing that the sword is coming up to the surface i try and catch up but the burn from reeling 300 feet makes me pass the rod off. Within sec of getting a new arm on the reel we get tight, we’re on again. Mikes on the rod and steadily bringing him in with a lil backing down we get him to the boat in 20 min. He gave a last ditch effort to go under the boat and break us off but i sink the flying gaff in and avoid his try for freedom. With the gaff well place in his head the fight was over with high fives all around. What a day what a time to be alive!! Final count 15 yellowfin 15-35 lbs range and 1 swordfish approximately 75 lbs for 10 hrs of fishing. Go get them guys, tight lines. Team Salty Dream signing out.

E8DE757F-CE19-46A9-B8B9-A5419DBF1B1C.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Nice job guys

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Won't be popular....but a 75lb sword is a real "juvenile". Could have easily been "practice".....and safely released. Just saying....If all of us kept every 5 lb BFT.....There wouldn't be any COW BFT. I've been a firsthand witness to the 70's - 80's decimation of the Florida swordfish population by indiscriminately taking ANY size fish. We all love swords....and the chance to battle a fish of a lifetime......but let 'em grow up a little first. Just my thoughts....

Reactions: CartridgeCalls
    Upvote 0

chachi10

Aug 28, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Chachi
    Boat
    None
    On the contrary, that 'juvenile' doesn't reproduce yet and there was no guarantee it to a would ever mature to even make it to the age to breed The big ones you like sure do breed and help sustain the population much better than the juveniles do.

Every tuna we catch in here in california is a juvenile by definition as well.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
    Name
    Julian
    Boat
    Boat hoe
    Won't be popular....but a 75lb sword is a real "juvenile". Could have easily been "practice".....and safely released. Just saying....If all of us kept every 5 lb BFT.....There wouldn't be any COW BFT. I've been a firsthand witness to the 70's - 80's decimation of the Florida swordfish population by indiscriminately taking ANY size fish. We all love swords....and the chance to battle a fish of a lifetime......but let 'em grow up a little first. Just my thoughts....

Speak your mind sir !! That’s what BD is known for. Yes eventually that’s gonna happen but most people aren’t gonna let their first sword go, not mine but Mikes. We will post that video also so you guys can get all warm and fuzzy inside. With the limit of 2 a day per fisherman 1 for 3 people isn’t bad and with catch ratio being 1-2 we had already safely released one ;).

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    With or without that sword.....THAT was a great day! Great report...With details. ...good picts.....loved it all! Maybe time for....One more trip....lol? Damn it!

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    I don't have anything to prove to anyone, so I might not even bother to take a pic. I can still remember stuff and when I cannot I won't give a shit anyways.

I am glad these delicious morsels are still around these parts although most of the swordfish for sale in markets seems to be coming from Singapore or Malaysia?

Tommy's swordfish from Catalina Offshore Products are locally caught, right?

Congratulations to Mike on his personal best and to you for a great report.

Upvote 0

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
    san diego
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    Fish Taco
    The older I get the more selective I get on what I take. I want the resource to be sustainable. The biologists determine that the quotas are sustainable and set the regs. I would keep a 75lb sword and eat it! The commercial guys are responsible for the indiscriminate catch/ by catch of the majority of fish. I'm glad a lot of people give thought to what they take. Good discussion.

Upvote 0