Offshore Salty Dream does it again!!

PENN

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
Name
Julian
Boat
Boat hoe
We came, we saw, we conquered!! So my son has been asking to go on a sword trip since we got a couple under our belt and it finally lined up for us to go. Started the day off grabbing some bait seeing if we might be able to grab some tuna in the am and then switch to deep drop late morning. Well the tuna didn’t want to play much and the sword fishing was slow with no bites all day. So me and the skipper decide to change areas all together and wouldn’t you know on the last drift of the day we got lucky. Not the biggest but dinner all the same.

A0075E36-2A7E-4315-B7DE-413FC65E1CA4.jpeg

Upvote 0

IrieMitch

Waterman
May 18, 2010
Newport Beach, CA
Name
Mitch
Boat
Captain of Papa's Haven (52' Cabo), Thunderbird Sportfishing
Way to stick with it. What a year this has been.

Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
I don't know anyone who would release that fish . Don't listen to the tree hugger marlin guys who cry . If they wanted to do "what's best " for the fish they would stop fishing for them . Hypocrits ! Eat that thing !

Reactions: KCiuchta
Upvote 0

stripedbizzle

Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles ca
Name
JTM
Boat
No
Wow can’t believe you kept it. Swordfish, great whites and makos are some of the only things that eat seals and sea lions in SoCal. If you want the seal/seal lion population to go down you need to release the swords. Smh.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Wow can’t believe you kept it. Swordfish, great whites and makos are some of the only things that eat seals and sea lions in SoCal. If you want the seal/seal lion population to go down you need to release the swords. Smh.
    Swordfish eating a seal/sea lion? Must be trolling

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Again. Nice job

Upvote 0

SaltyDream

Concrete Cowboy
    Apr 11, 2010
    San Diego
    www.dcrcontractors.com
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    23' Blackman Albie Special "salty dream"
    Saturday was one of the nicest weather days on the water I’ve seen this year. The tuna fishing sucked for us that day but at least we decided to stick with the deep drop.

I like this pic too, go get em Dominic

I wouldn’t kill a 60lb sword and I might not kill another one this year. This one was around 100, no prob for a kids first. My dad was on the boat as well, and even though he fishes with me regularly he finally got to see his first sword as well. Great father son day for the team, and at some point I’ll put up a few sword release videos for the bitches.

Tight lines

AFAFDD4F-3CE7-45E1-A63E-3E534092DBF9.jpeg E32AC280-313C-48CF-8CAF-3AF3B9A71432.jpeg 12C53556-DD9E-4901-95B4-FF07A76FEDAC.jpeg

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Totally awesome. Some of us, unfortunately, never got to fish with our fathers. I know you do the right thing. Looking forward to a release video or two and anything else you see of interest out there.

Did it thrash around when gaffed?
    It looks like the gaff did a lil' number on the right side.

Upvote 0

SaltyDream

Concrete Cowboy
    Apr 11, 2010
    San Diego
    www.dcrcontractors.com
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    23' Blackman Albie Special "salty dream"
    Not at the gaff. Right before the shot and in the boat. It smacked the lights so hard it tied the line in a knot and they couldn’t reel anymore with 50’ of line still out.

I had to leader the fish and gaff it at the same time while it was pissed off and smacking my props. It went to run around the drive and i gaffed it in the back which saved a drive tangle but almost tore the fish in half. I rolled backwards and gave it a leg wrap as it can over the transom to hold it down until Julian and Dominic stabbed its head with a spike till it stoned out.

FYI the smaller ones have sharper bills....

Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
    frazierpark ca usa
    Name
    gordon grant
    Boat
    30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
    Not at the gaff. Right before the shot and in the boat. It smacked the lights so hard it tied the line in a knot and they couldn’t reel anymore with 50’ of line still out.

I had to leader the fish and gaff it at the same time while it was pissed off and smacking my props. It went to run around the drive and i gaffed it in the back which saved a drive tangle but almost tore the fish in half. I rolled backwards and gave it a leg wrap as it can over the transom to hold it down until Julian and Dominic stabbed its head with a spike till it stoned out.

FYI the smaller ones have sharper bills....
    Very nice catch ! Im looking foward to the day when one of those hit my deck , catch and release does not make sense to me , but catch and eat does

Upvote 0