DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
My 3 buddies and I haven't had much luck so far getting reservations at Wister or San Jacinto this season, the only one was San Jacinto Opening Day which was a bust for us. So one of my buddies searched the net and found an option that called for hunting from a boat on the sea @ $250/hunter (2 hunters max) which originally I thought it was a little steep but what the heck lets give it a try. The details my buddy gave me about the trip seemed weird; we wouldn't meet the guide until 8-8:30AM and it was about a 30 minute ride to the blind. Who the hell starts duck hunting after 9AM? My confidence even waned further when our original date was cancelled due to equipment repair and it was rescheduled for 2 weeks later and the guide wasn't exactly sure how the hunting would be for us as his counts were falling and he might need to move to another spot but he gave us an option to reschedule once again. My buddy was hot to get it done so we met yesterday at the launch site and jumped on the boat @ 8:30 as promised. We met Sean the outfitter and he runs a clean ship; he helped us load our gear into the boat and got us set up with a couple of beach type chairs for the ride over. His real job is running the New LoAnn as a partner and this is his off season gig/hobby so Customer Service is no stranger to him. Sky was clear and the sea was glass giving us a nice ride to his newly created blind about 100 yards offshore surrounded by several dozen decoys. The boat slipped into the burlap and palm fronds covered blind on stilts with openings in the top for us to shoot from. The 16-18' duck boat is extremely stable; my weight is approaching 3 bills and buddy is no midget either and the 3 of us could move in any direction at once and the boat wouldn't sway or list to either side making the shooting as easy as on land. Now the important part, the hunting: this was truly a blast as we had birds on us as we were getting our guns out of our cases and had a couple of sets come in before we were ready. The 3rd set was a different story as my buddy dropped a couple of birds right off the bat and I nailed a Widgeon on my second shot. We hardly went 5-10 minutes without having birds into the spread and it made it nice as we were able to pick our shots knowing another chance would come soon if wanted to wait. Sean worked several duck calls depending on the direction of the birds which worked on everything but the flocks of Redheads and Bluebills which pretty much had a set location they were going to. The Sea was alive with birds and it wasn't long before we shot double limits by 11-11:30 which consisted of 10 Widgeon, 2 Hen Pintails, and a couple of Shovelers, all in 2+ hours! I've never had middle-of-the-day duck hunting like that when it is normally doldrum time until the late afternoon when the birds are flying again. The boat ride back was a nice pleasure as well as we got to cool off from the 85 degree heat in the clear sun with a nice breeze. Although I thought the cost was a little pricey at first, this hunt trip was worth every penny as there it alot to be said not having to get up 3 hours before dawn, drag your decoys and gear through the mud at Wister, set your 3-4 dozen dekes and build your blind then sit in the mud at an angle fighting your chair as you stand up and shoot the birds coming in over your spread although possibly a tad closer, then having to pack it all up and walk it the 1/4 mile or longer back to your truck. This is a legit operation, and Sean does his best to get you the best possible hunt and success at achieving a nice limit of quality ducks. I highly recommend this for a Father & Son trip or a couple of Novice Waterfowl hunters as believe me you are going to get multiple shots at dozens of birds and you should come away a better hunter for it. I should also recommend a good pair of sunglasses since you will be shooting later in the day when the sun is fairly high in the sky and those birds are coming straight down into the spread. I'm hooked for another couple of trips this season when I just want to relax, have somebody else do the dirty work, and blow up a limit of ducks. My only hope is he doesn't get too many bites off this report so it becomes harder to get another reservation with him. Sean 858 336 3449 Salton Sea Outfitters By the way, he also does Lake Henshaw
SALTON SEA 4.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
  • Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Name
    Rocket Dog
    Boat
    passenger again
    Great report... How was the water this time of year. My last time in the sea, it was funky.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    How are you retrieving birds?
    The blind is completely surrounded by sheets of burlap down to the water and it would be hard for a dog to get out of the boat as its a fairly tight fit; we wait until we've knocked down 4-5 birds then he just drives the boat out of the blind and we pick them up. Rinse and repeat.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Great report... How was the water this time of year. My last time in the sea, it was funky.
    The water is still nasty and I don't think it matters what time of year it is. But the water is so glassy coming and going it really makes you wish you had a wake board or skis!

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Rocket Dog
    Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
    Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    The blind is completely surrounded by sheets of burlap down to the water and it would be hard for a dog to get out of the boat as its a fairly tight fit; we wait until we've knocked down 4-5 birds then he just drives the boat out of the blind and we pick them up. Rinse and repeat.

Really cool. I hope he does well and I will probably give him a call just to do something else one of these years.

Upvote 0