ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Saltiga if you are rich and money is no object. Saltist if you just want to git er done. Saltiga is obviously better quality and build, but they both get the job done. If you like to rub your reels with a loin cloth, the Saltiga is what you want. If you rinse your reel down and just set it in the corner until next trip, Saltist will do.

I have a shit ton of Saltigas and Saltists and I use my Saltists a lot more. Saltigas mostly come out during tuna season for bigger grade. Saltists for my local trips.

Izzy.mac

Feb 3, 2019
Fresno
Name
Izzy
Boat
Unknown
Saltiga if you are rich and money is no object. Saltist if you just want to git er done. Saltiga is obviously better quality and build, but they both get the job done. If you like to rub your reels with a loin cloth, the Saltiga is what you want. If you rinse your reel down and just set it in the corner until next trip, Saltist will do.

I have a shit ton of Saltigas and Saltists and I use my Saltists a lot more. Saltigas mostly come out during tuna season for bigger grade. Saltists for my local trips.
It's been years since I bought any gear. Job has me on the move. I travel too much. Now back in cali, I have that itch again. In your opinion what saltiga best compares to the old sl20?

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat
It's been years since I bought any gear. Job has me on the move. I travel too much. Now back in cali, I have that itch again. In your opinion what saltiga best compares to the old sl20?
The SASD20 or SASD15. It will not cast a light bait as well because the sl20 has a graphite spool with much lighter starting inertia required to cast. Size and real life capacity is close.

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None

I assume you are referring to the Sealine SL20 reel. The Sealine reel has 20 lb / 210 yard mono capacity, 6:1 gear ratio and is a star drag reel.

The Saltiga SASD20HA is a very close match. It has 20/210 capacity, 6.4:1 gear ratio and is also a star drag. The Saltiga can go up to 17.6 of drag and weighs around 16.4 oz. The Saltiga cost $399.95 brand new.

The Saltist SALTIST20H is also a very close match. It has 20/210 capacity, 6.4:1 gear ratio and is also a star drag. The Saltist can also go up to 17.6 of drag and weighs around 16.4 oz. The Saltist cost $239.99 brand new.

I think its best for you to test it out in person to get a better feel. The Saltist is a better deal in terms of price/performance. However, the Saltiga is a better fit and finish and you pay for the additional quality. They both seem to hold up value in the used reel market. Saltigas hold up value better and some of the rarer models in the past end up fetching a high price due to limited supply.

You may decide to move up to a 30 sized reel if you need more line capacity. That is why it is best to try the reel out in person before you make a decision. Both reels come with lever drag version. Lever drag has some advantages and also disadvantages. The star drag reels are easier to cast. The lever drags are easier to see your drag setting.

The only thing you should be aware is that you shouldn't go down to a 15 size reel on the Saltiga models. Those reels do not have a clicker. However, they put a huge button on the left side that looks like a clicker, but its not. Its actually a spool stop button. It would completely lock up your spool 100% and you have no drag. If you are fighting a big fish and hit that button by mistake, you will lose the fish. I seen it happen. I think its a stupid idea. They should put in a clicker or get rid of that spool lock for that reason alone. At the minimum, make button smaller and harder to press by accident.

Either way, both Saltiga and Saltist reels are much better in quality than the Sealine reel models. The Sealine are the low end no-frills reel that gets the job done. However, they do cut corners with using felt drag washers. I know the older models of Saltiga and Saltist use dartanium drag washers. The dartanium is better than felt drag washers, but they still gum up after fighting large fish. Its best to replace them all with carbontex drag washers that last a lifetime. They are relatively cheap and easy to replace. I am not sure if the newer star drag reels come with carbontex drag washers from the factory. I only bought lever drag versions in the newer models (I already had tons of star drag reels in the older design). If you are still using your Sealine reel, consider replacing the drag on the reel with carbontex drags. It would make your drag a lot smoother.

I hope this helps you out.

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    the saltist bg20 i mentioned is definitely the most comparable to an sl20, and they retail for like $180. im a no frills fisherman, and i love my little bg20. its my go to reel. cant recommend it enough.

Reactions: Texas Tuna

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    David
    Boat
    None
    Thank you all. Picked up a SASD20HA
    I know I’m late to the party, but hands down best for light line bait is an sl20sh just upgrade drag and add Tib handle. I love the SASD15HA, I prefer the TN14A over the SASD20HA, but what’s really badass is the new Saltiga 15ld2 and 20ld2 both free spool like a star drag.