Saltiga 40ha or Trinidad 20a for surface iron?

Binks Deatherage

Ion even know
May 22, 2020
la jolla
Name
Binks
Boat
Todo o Nada
Any preferences on what you like better for surface iron. I know Trinidad’s are some of the best for surface iron but I know the saltiga is a good reel for a little less money so any suggestions are appreciated

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
If we're talking about the brand new Saltiga star drags they're every bit as good, if not better than the Trinis. And that's coming from someone who owns a fair number of Trinis.

Daiwa really outdid themselves, the new reels are really rigid, smooth, and strong. I casted iron on a friend's the other day and was very impressed. Can't go wrong with either reel.

Upvote 0

engelwurt

Jul 6, 2016
San Diego
Name
engelwurt
Boat
wurtdirt
I like the saltigas stars. You will find a lot of Trinidad/shimano folks out there. The saltigas feel a touch heavier but also feel bulletproof.
Daiwa is offering a 5-year warranty with free cleaning on all saltigas so there’s that....

Upvote 0

Mike D.

Dec 18, 2018
Newport
Name
Michael
Boat
Surfboard
The star drags feel every bit as nice as a trinidad. The lever drags seem a step above the talicas. I have the 40 and 50 lever drags and havent fished them yet but they feel nice like a high end watch, free spool is insane for a lever drag. I could see myself going all daiwa if they work like I hope they will. I wouldnt hesitate on the trini or saltiga, theyre both top tier reels. Which ever feels better in your hand.

Reactions: kayakbeast33
Upvote 0

Calico Killer

Mar 8, 2008
W. LA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Boat
I spent a lot of time with both and have chosen Saltigas for all my star drags. New 20HA for 15-25# lighter bait fishing, 40A for surface irons and yoyo, older 30T for 25-35# bait/small irons.

The new Saltigas are slightly heavier than the Trinidads but they are smoother, have a better handle, and are more robust.

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I have both a Saltiga 40 ha and a Trini 20a. If I had to give one up the Trini would go, but I don’t so I use them both. I usually use the Saltiga for 50# and the Trinidad for 40.

Upvote 0

Calico Killer

Mar 8, 2008
W. LA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Boat
One more thing to note: The Trinidad only comes in a high gear ratio but the Saltiga has both high and low. 6:1 high speed is nice for party boats as they tend to slide in on fish for a longer period of time but from smaller or stationary boats, I prefer a lower 5:1 speed.

Upvote 0