SaltAway vs White vinegar

Chickenbroth

Sep 15, 2019
Morro Bay
Name
Mike
Boat
BITE ME
Just curious what everyone thinks about this.
I’ve been using SaltAway as an engine flush but recently saw posts on internet that claim white vinegar and a little car wash work just as well
I’m not the kind of guy to skimp on costs especially when protecting my engine/investment, but SaltAway is $40/gal and vinegar is $2/gal if it performs just as well might as well save some $$

Let me know what you think. Thanks

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Never heard of that, but hopefully someone has some real info.

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Vinegar is acidic.I would never run it through my motor.Just fresh water and a 10 to 15 minute flush.

Reactions: cioppino and marlyn

gnehekul

Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
Never heard of that, but hopefully someone has some real info.
as an engineering major dropout.... i got a score almost as low as my chemical engineering roommate. (you dont want to know where he works now)

vinegar is an acid, it will remove salt but then start to eat away at the metal so you got to then neutralize it with something basic.. like milk (not a good idea) or baking powder or detergent (prob not a good idea).. problem is baking powder in a water solution better be mixed right or you will end up making it too basic, which also isnt fun for metals either but not as bad as vinegar. or maybe run the vinegar, then run some baking soda then run fresh water. all in all cheaper than salt away.

Reactions: Arima-bob

mmonti

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 15, 2012
Long Beach
Name
mmonti
Boat
Edgewater
The corrosion inhibitor listed is tall oil sodium salt 5-10%, its basically soap thats washing thru your engine. I would trust the salt away brand at $40 a gal before I ran some meguiars with carnauba wax and vinegar thru my motor

The surfactants actually lower the surface tension of a liquid, might aid in flushing the salts away to prevent from sticking and building up in the water passages. Dishwashing detergent has a ton of surfactants. Helps separate the grease and oils, food grease, not petrochemical but may work, I've seen em scrub ducks covered in oil with dawn or some crap on tv before

The ph listed in the sds is also 6.2. Thats slightly acidic but not enough to burn skin. Vinegar is about 2 to 3 thats pure tho not diluted and definitely not strong enough to burn skin, hell I drink it sometimes while I'm canning pickles. I wouldn't want to run anything lower than 5 or 6 ph thru my motor continuously, Altho I doubt vinegar is strong enough to hurt your engine. Salt water, pacific ocean is about 8 to 8.2. Im guessing the “soap” is actually removing that crap that is always on the side of my boat after I launch. Another thing to note is even tho sds lists the ph at 6.2 your usually running fresh water thru the engine that has a ph of about 8 as well.

I once had a small klamath with a 2 stroke 9.9 merc that was my sierra fisher. The water passages clogged with salt after I kept using it in the harbor for fishing. I used a 32 gal trash can with about a half gal of a phosphoric acid based product ran it for about 15 mins and and everything opened up clean. I remember watching the pee hole going from spurting to a full stream was awesome to see. Ran fine for the next 10 years.

I would try dishwashing detergent with a nonionic surfactant (dawn) about 3 to 4 oz with about a qtr to half a gal of white vinegar the rest water. Mix it together in an empty gal container add some blue food coloring, bam instant saltier-away. Plus you can make like 50 gals for $40 bucks

I always figured salt away to be gimmicky but people swear by it. I don't use it, cuz $40 bucks for a gal of water...

Sorry for the long useless post I'm bored as hell here

vipertom1970

Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
I static flush for 10 minutes after each trip then run it in a tub until the water gets warm to hot(about 10 minutes for F300) and I also run my engine one time per month if it’s sitting in the winter.

A2EB5FAA-E9F0-45A9-9B92-B72D214C8A16.jpeg

Last edited:

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
They sell them at feed stores or tractor supply.

Reactions: vipertom1970

vipertom1970

Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
Tom why both, just curious...
most of the time I don't get home until 10 PM and too tired to set up the tank so I do just a static flush(no engine running) with a hose for about 10 minutes and save the time to rinse the boat, trailer and brakes down. The next day is when I use the tank to dip the engine and run until the water gets hot to make sure 100% of the salt is gone and do a more detail boat cleaning with soap.

Last edited:

lopalo

Nov 22, 2019
FRANCE
Name
katysa
Boat
watercraft
little car wash work just as well
I’m not the kind of guy to skimp on costs especially when protecting my engine/investment, but SaltAway is $40/gal and vinegar is $2/gal if it performs just as well might as well save some $$

Vibora

Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
I've been using Oxyclean for the past 3 years. Seems to work fine , but then again i'm a novice boat owner.
I've heard Yak Piss works well but it's hard to come by now cuz tarrifs .

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
I've been using Oxyclean for the past 3 years. Seems to work fine , but then again i'm a novice boat owner.
I've heard Yak Piss works well but it's hard to come by now cuz tarrifs .
while im not certain, i believe oxyclean is a alkaline based oxidizer. i know when i have art projects i need to get rusty fast, i use bleach. (bleach is also a oxidizer) i can get a brand new piece of steel looking 100 years old in hours. you may want to research it further.
when it comes to steel, iron, and the like......"oxidize"= rust.

Last edited:

NaClAddict

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2008
torrance
Name
Greg
Boat
22 glasstron
A buddy worked a pwc shop. They used simple green and said it was just as effective as saltaway. They rebuilt a lot of two-smokes back then and were pretty meticulous. Pretty sure SG is benign enough to run through a motor, especially diluted. I spend enough on the boat I don’t blink at $50.

pfish

Sep 20, 2004
leucadia
Name
Pfish
Boat
23 Parker
What does your wife put in the dish washer to get rid of salt and the residue of hard water? Vinegar. Just make sure you flush it with water afterwards..