Salmon season is quickly approaching....Lets talk gear...

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
Found a Tiger Lite Jigging rod for $69.00, i'm going to jig my arse off this year! I stuck a okuma Solterra on it and it feels good! Cheap as you can get!

Upvote 0

lite tackle

Fish Addict
Feb 12, 2012
Fairfield/CA/USA
Name
Kelly
Boat
Grady White Seafarer 226
To keep the excitement going, let's see if I can share a video from a couple years back. At this time the boat was set up with just the basics and was still able to get early limits, i.e. passed out on the couch by noon. I hope the video comes through, I don't think utube likes Led Zepplin. Remember, if you click on the video, there is no refund for your lost time.:o

Upvote 0

07yzryder

Almost A Member
Sep 7, 2012
las vegas, NV
Name
Robert Butler
Boat
Yours if you'll let me
Im planning on visiting SJ for a sharks game and there was deal for a trip on the 12th. I wont be able to bring any rods/reels but was wondering if there were some places near san jose or whichever landing new captain petes (boat) is at, where i can pick up weights. Also what size weights do you suggest? We called the boat and they said it varies we cant give you an answer, which i understand but typically you can give a weight range so im thinking they may want to recoup money on the weights? Any help is appreciated

thanks
Robert

Upvote 0

Mongo76

Nov 21, 2007
Modesto, CA
Name
Darin
Boat
Sea Swirl 22, Blondie, 50 Silverton Flora T, 50 Silverton The Other Office
I have been using A 7' Shimano Terez rod with a small Talica single speed. Awesome combo for the downrigger.

Upvote 0

07yzryder

Almost A Member
Sep 7, 2012
las vegas, NV
Name
Robert Butler
Boat
Yours if you'll let me
ok cool i wasnt sure if they would charge an outrageous amount for lead or if they were modest about hte prices. As far as the weight its not too big a deal if i purchase in advance, i can always use weights rockfishing. I will just looked at the fish laser and makes sense i will grab one or two to take.

sounds like the tuna shuffle on steroids lol when you get bit.

thank you for the tips.
Robert

Upvote 0

BluMarlin

May 1, 2012
Marina, ca
Name
Neil
Boat
Marlin
If khan's blue dancers were junk, I'm sure people wouldn't waste their time to come on here and talk shit about them. I've always got a blue dancer out on my spread, and it's 80% of the time the hottest lure out there. Maybe his website isn't up to par with the best, but he's a fisherman not computer tech or web tech, or whatever the hell they are.

Reactions: karlk1125
Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
No need for Haterade LOL.

Anyways...I still troll with my trusty Calstar 700M. Gets it done. Any old reel with mechanical dogs will get it done too. No need to beat up the AR bearing of your fancy caster trolling heavy lead. Salmon pound for pound are the pussies of the sea so you need practically nothing for drag. Though you will get a hot dog once in a while.

Mooching is always easier with 8' *very* light rods (like 12-20lb rated or even 8-15lb) with slow actions as the bite seriously is so light it is nearly impossible to tell between a 30lber and a 1/2lb Kingfish or Squid pecking at your bait...think fishing for stocked trout on a big lake. The lighter softer sticks (they do make them out of graphite, basically lami steelhead rods) help you stay connected when you are fishing barbless circles and pick up the bite. Moving the bait up and down in the water column with a slow retrieve or sink can be the key to getting bit, especially on a day with little current/swell. I fish long leaders mooching (30lb and like 8') hoping the fish doesn't notice the 6-8oz of lead and preventing the boat from moving the bait too much when it's one of those 4-6' windy spring days. Works for me, YMMV.

Braid straight to the sinker. Gets you down better in heavy current.

Scents, have tried them and people next to me using none have outfished me. If you have the wrong one it will turn them off it seems. Have tried ProCure chovie, krill and squid.

After that I am an Apex guy for trolling. Green, watermelon, smoke are my faves. Never stuck with trolling bait enough to know if it is better or not. I just fish the Apex as they come out of the package though, I am sure I have re-tied one with good mojo after the leader gets beat up. Hoochies work, as above. A Flasher imparts the action to the Hoochie with that short leader, an Apex has the same twisting, flashing spiral on it's own so usually no flasher for me unless it's really scratch fishing then I will try a small silver one (that the Salmon will hit) to try and attract attention.

They key to catching is not horsing them in and not letting the fish break the surface when at boatside until you are totally ready to net them. They generally come to the boat incredibly easy until that point then a lot of thrashing and panic ensues...most fish are lost at this point. Remember, soft hands holding the rod and easy on the drag. That lazy slug coming to the boat becomes another thing entirely when his head breaks the surface.

When everyone is ready you want a smooth lift the last few feet to the net then you get 'em before they know what is coming.

I'm not trying to lecture any experienced fisherman here I just go into detail because remember, you are fishing barbless. A moment's slack and good bye fish. Not much margin for error.

Finding fish:

1. Quality electronics if you are off on your own to find bait balls. The Salmon are not far from bait. Sometimes the bait is in the mud, sometimes near the surface. This is where your hook needs to be.

2. Or, find the fleet if they are catching. This is the poor mans way to put meat on the table. It might be a zoo but can be the difference between a smelly black and white kitty scent + expensive boat ride versus fantastic eats and a hero's welcome at home even if you do smell like the bait bucket. Done it in a skiff from Capitola a little farther from the pier than they might have liked LOL.

If you find them, you catch them like pretty much any other SW fish. Don't leave fish to find fish thinking you will get bigger/more. The smaller fish are truly the best eating.

best

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg C and fishe
Upvote 0

brokeass boater

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
No need for Haterade LOL.

Anyways...I still troll with my trusty Calstar 700M. Gets it done. Any old reel with mechanical dogs will get it done. No need to beat up the AR bearing of your fancy caster trolling heavy lead. Salmon pound for pound are the pussies of the sea so you need practically nothing for drag. Though you will get a hot dog once in a while.

Mooching is always easier with 8' *very* light rods (like 8-15lb rated) as the bite seriously is so light it is nearly impossible to tell between a 30lber and a 1/2lb Kingfish...think fishing for trout on a big lake. The lighter softer sticks (they do make them out of graphite, basically lami steelhead rods) help you stay connected when you are fishing barbless circles and pick up the bite. Moving the bait up and down in the water column can be the key to getting bit. I fish long leaders mooching (like 8') hoping the fish doesn't notice the 6-8oz of lead and preventing the boat from moving the bait too much. Works for me, YMMV.

Braid straight to the sinker. Gets you down faster in heavy current.

Scents, have tried them and people next to me using none have outfished me. If you have the wrong one it will turn them off it seems. Have tried ProCure chovie, krill and squid.

They key to catching is not horsing them in and not letting the fish break the surface when at boatside until you are totally ready to net them. They generally come to the boat incredibly easy until that point then a lot of thrashing and panic ensues...most fish are lost at this point. Remember, soft hands holding the rod. When everyone is ready you want a smooth lift the last few feet to the net then you get 'em before they know what is coming.

After that I am an apex guy for trolling. Green, watermelon, smoke are my faves. Never stuck with trolling bait enough to know if it is better or not. Hoochies work, as above.

Finding fish:

1. Quality electronics if you are off on your own to find bait balls. The Salmon are not far from bait. Sometimes the bait is in the mud or near the surface. This is where your hook needs to be.

2. Find the fleet if they are catching. This is the poor mans way to put meat on the table. It might be a zoo but can be the difference between a smelly black and white kitty scent + expensive boat ride versus fantastic eats and a hero's welcome at home even if you do smell like the bait bucket. Done it in a skiff from Capitola a little farther from the pier than they might have liked LOL.

If you find them, you catch them like pretty much any other SW fish. Don't leave fish to find fish thinking you will get bigger/more. The smaller fish are truly the best eating.

best
X2 John, you nailed it Salmon 101

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Hello John; Nice write up, some good points made. On the Apexs, the leader material from the factory is CRAP!!!....change that out immediately, switch the hook to a better quality, thinner gauge, smaller size, the LESS weight of the hook the MORE action imparted to the Apex. I look for bait balls then "Try" & find bait ball that show Salmon are attacking/feeding on the bait ball, a ball bait without Predators attacking it is a Solid Mass/Ball, if you find an irregular shaped bait ball with obvious HOLES in it,,,that bait ball is under attack from predators. As far as length of leader from sinker while mooching, I use a banana/crescent shaped sinker baited various colors & even have added small blades to the front & back, which flash & send vibrations as the sinker is BOTH dropped & retrieved through the water column. As far as netting, I see MORE MISTAKES at this crucial time then any other, I could write a novel on "Proper Netting Techniques"....it called "NETTING!!!"...NOT beating the salmon over the head....Best piece of advice is...when the salmon is played out, & within netting distance ( You guys using nets with a 6ft handle, DON'T have a Clue!!!) I use a net that measures 12ft total length....with the salmon ALONGSIDE the vessel, GO TO Neutral...the salmon is there for the taking. When you get a fish on....LEAVE ALL GEAR in the water FISHING!!!...these guys that IMMEDIATELY START reeling in ALL the other rods will NEVER experience doubles & Triples & Quads....the initial Salmon hooked is AWAY from the vessel, AWAY from the other gear...USE the vessel's steering to keep the salmon on ONE SIDE of the VESSEL, Then clear that side for fighting/netting....USE the vessel's speed & maneuverability to your advantage!!!...DON'T let a 10lber run from port to starboard, starboard to port, under the boat, ahead of the boat...if you see the salmon trying to get ahead of the boat...INCREASE your speed!!!...Only BAD things happen when a salmon gets ahead of the boat...LASTLY!!!....DON'T be a HARD HEAD!!!..be open to LEARNING & EXPERIMENTING!!!...as much as John fishes lures, I fish bait!!!...but that's a WHOLE OTHER story!!!...Alex

Thanks for that.

I just don't take it too serious (if you can't tell :)) as I actually troll for Salmon pretty rarely. I replaced some Apex leaders and then decided to not worry about it and have never been burned :). We used to troll a lot off of a sailboat that would make 3kts with just a reefed main. Nice and quiet and a dollar fuel bill for motoring in and out of the harbor, that's it.

Anyways, love me my Salmon eats. I just follow the reports and go the few times a year I do now when the bite is hot, mostly mooching. I simply cannot miss out on fresh krill fed spring Salmon anyway you want to fix it for dinner. One of the great treats of the Ocean.

I've kinda lost respect for Salmon as game fish years ago when I started fishing LR and in the tropics. A 5lb Jack pulls harder and will test your gear more. LOL. So I now get pretty casual about it.

If I were to sum up my posts above I would say "Damn near anything people sell will work when the bite is good. Follow the reports and trailer your boat up or down the coast or charter as needed to get on the largest concentrations of fish. Catch 'em, then share your stoke and pass your knowledge along".

I think people tend to over think it when the bite is slow. Usually it means few fish around.

If there is any place for up to the minute "what is working" fish dope it's Bayside Marine in Santa Cruz harbor. http://www.baysidemarinesc.com/

ps Who knew there are experts from the Salmon Capital of the Central Coast, Morro Bay that post on this board? Tight lipped with their secrets I guess, though, props to anyone that catches Salmon there. That is some mojo LOL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0