Salmon season is quickly approaching....Lets talk gear...

Discussion in 'Northern California Fishing Reports' started by Jonnybravo, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Jonnybravo

Jonnybravo Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    shortbus
    What rods and reels do you guys recommend? What rods for troll(downrigger or sinker release) and mooching? How about reels?

2. Dinoraider

Dinoraider Newbie

Name:
    Darren Anderson
    Boat:
    Seapro 19WA
    My trolling rods will be 2 psw700m. One paired with a boss fury 500n and the other penn torque 25n. This will be with sinker releases. Mooching will be psw807 inshore with a toro 50. Also have a phenix spinner 805xl with penn 4500LL.. I would like to hear other combos.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  3. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Troll rod, cant beat the Lamiglass Classic Glass 9' DR: CG 90 DR $99 or if you like American made and lifetime warranty the Classic Glass American or CGA 90 DR for $179.

I use Avet SX reels with 40lb braid and a 45-50' topshot of 30lb Big Game or Pline tied to a Sampo Coast Lock snap swivel. I also put a bead ahead of the swivel. This protects the tip if you reel in too much.

That's it. Have four of them. Can also use the same setup for mooching as the rated weight for these rods is 1-6oz.

You can beat the action of a glass rod salmon fishing. The flex really helps in keeping that barbless hook in its place.

4. Derby

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    For gear, I use QCove flashers. Fight the Fish Not the Flasher.....they really work. Red, Purple Haze. Also use large Slingblades with UV tape on all sides.

You going to need some UV Purple Haze hoochies and kajikis. These are actually white/pearl. That and some bait holders. Krippled Anchovies and Krippled Herrings where hot last year in silver, red, clear and glow as well as FBR. I also make my own wire-baiter.

You'll also need a few WMA(Watermelon Apex) and red Krockodile spoons.

That should be it.....maybe some ProCure Krill Jell and Herring/Anchovie jell.

5. catchabigone

catchabigone Fair is fair. Donate Life. Be an organ donor

Name:
    dave
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 2152, Seafoam
    My go to reels for salmon are charter specials for friends that can't use a reel without a levelwind. For everyone else there are avet sx with an assortment of 8.5 ft downrigger rods. We hardly ever use bait I like to try and match the hatch with apexes. Last year the small 3.5 inch brown trout pattern was a twin to the short bellied rockfish the salmon were feeding on most of the season. We don't get much nice bait here it has usually defrosted on it's way here from the distributors. I also like spoons in a multitude of shapes and sizes. I hardly ever use a flasher/dodger but I think I am in the minority on that one. If we happen to get some good bait I usually fish straight bait. I really hate having anything on the line between my rod and the hook.

6. Jonnybravo

Jonnybravo Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    shortbus
    S and E-glass seem to be the way to go. What about lengths?

7. HAMBONES

HAMBONES Newbie

Name:
    Jason Hammond
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    Go to Bayside Marine in the Santa Cruz harbor. Todd will set you up and you can pull on rods and try the reels for feel

8. Derby

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    straight glass in 8'6" or 9' rated for 20 and 30lb. as I said earlier, cant beat the Classic Glass in terms of performance and price.

9. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
    This is a loaded question! What is your price range? Are you looking for something that will get the job done or are you looking for top of the line gear? If you're looking for all around performance, get an avet mxl or an accurate fury fx-400 and put it on a Phenix abyss psx-807. Strong enough for the ball and light enough to mooch with.

10. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
    This is really the basic essentials that every salmon fisherman should have in their tackle boxes!

11. Jonnybravo

Jonnybravo Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    shortbus
    I don't mind spending the money if it helps me bring the fish to the net. I have plenty of reels so I know I'm covered there. I really need to learn the ropes. I've fished about 5 charters but I'd like to learn the ropes to fish for them on my boat this year.

12. Whalebreath

Whalebreath Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Carl Z
    Boat:
    X2-those units are great and if they take a hard knock in the boat won't let you down next time you have decent fish on.

13. desmonic

desmonic Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Hopefully One Day
    trolling
    Rod: Seeker Black Steel 270H-8
    Reel: Shimano Tekota 600LC spooled with 30lbs seaguar floro premier

Mooching
    Rod Gloomis SAMR1024C
    Reel: Shimano Tekota 500LC spooled with 30lbs seaguar floro premier

14. ronfishon

ronfishon captain

Name:
    Ronnie D.
    Boat:
    18ft Reinell&1851 striper(kaylena)
    Just like derby suggested, lamiglass set up with an avet sx. drag hoochies and crippled anchovies. I stack em on my downriggers. should be a good year, lots of bait out there, the monterey bait seiners are staying busy. Good luck out there guys and be safe.

Ronnie D (kaylena)

15. stella marina

stella marina Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    I like using a calstar GX 8 with either a Avet SX or MXL.

Who is heading out opening weekend? and where?
    we are thinking of taking the Sat. and Sun. off and heading out on Monday, hoping there will be less of that guy and his boat that won't start floating at the ramp.
    last year I witnessed someone take the straps off his boat before backing down the ramp and when he headed down the ramp off came his boat from the trailer and scraped down the launch out-drive first. But it was O.K. right, winch it back up and try again. I was surprised they didn't call it quits right there.

16. 9Fish

9Fish Newbie

Name:
    Dan Yourish
    Boat:
    do not own a boat YET
    One thing that is a must have in everyones tackle box is a SLING BLADE with a BLUE DANCER from Capt Khahns tackle box. He has some other great stuff but his Blue Dancer and Sling blade set up has proven itself over and over again. www.captkhanhtacklebox.com

ibdfishkiller likes this.
  17. EurekaMarc

EurekaMarc Member

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    yes some of those
    Over the years we've had great luck with Loomis 1021c HS rod..... I think it's one of the best all around rods for northern CA. We fish 400 series calcuttas and cardiffs on them, used to be Abu 6500s, and I still have a catala that has a higher ratio for beach casting. They are great for trolling on light line for salmon (15 mostly, stepping to 20 this year), perfect for mooching, and does real well drifting bait for butts, stripers, and even jigging lings. Surf casting for stripers and even using them in the rivers where they were intended they work great too. Downside is they are getting more and more expensive ever year since Shimano took over. I am trying a couple of the Lamiglass CG 8-6 rods already mentioned for mooching and light line trolling this year.

Brand new trolling gear this year for charters are Seeker Black Classic 870s with Penn Squall 20 LWs and 30 lbs mono. I've liked the SS version I've had for several years but had to keep the cost down. Now I just need to go finish spooling the 7 of them up. Finished leaders last night, a few last things on the boat, pour a couple more DR weights and I'm set.

Capt Khanh has some great stuff, he is sending me some planer boards last minute with no worries on it getting here before I leave to fish. I'm a bait (rotary killer or bechmans) and hoochie guy behind flashers mostly, but always have a couple Protroll E lures in the water too. Misc other spoons if they are on a rippin bite.

I'll be down somewhere around Monterey Bay or HMB by Friday eve ready to chase um for a week or more. A few more days and I'll be watching the forecast and ssts/chlor like a hawk. Fishing in 1 week!!

Marc

18. jigsaurus

jigsaurus Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    12' plastic cod killer
    X2.
    I've caught plenty of fish with an ugly stick and a penn 500 trolling and mooching. And if you need to fish the release with a pound or more use a senator. Thats just me and I fish cheap. Great tackle does make a difference if you need it. Cant wait to touch some pink again. Good luck to y'all.

19. charlyhustle

charlyhustle Trying to kill fish...

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Sold them...
    I run lamiglas CG 90DR with Tekota 500LC's for downriggers. Reels are tanks and the rods are reasonably price for the beating they'll take.

For pulling balls I run Okuma Cedros rods and Avet MX's. Plenty of backbone for the lead and the reels are super easy to adjust when a fish is on.

We'll run bait, hoochies and the Watermelon apex until we figure something out.

Can't wait!

20. rowdyrosco

rowdyrosco sancho

Name:
    ross
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20
    The only fish that money catches is marlin. I've caught piles of salmon on my $35 DR rods. The only place you should be using sinker a sinker release is on a cattle boat, so the calstars are out too.