Salmon Poisoning in Dogs

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Siv, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Siv

Siv I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    19' SeaSport
    Beware of letting your dog eat raw or very undercooked salmon. We cleaned the fish from our Westport trip in my yard and my dog was scarfing up very small bits of raw fish that fell of the cleaning table. After 6 days he stopped eating and started puking, after a day of this getting worse he was off to the vets where he stayed, sick as hell , for 5 days until they figured out it was salmon poisoning. Antibiotics and wormers plus IV fluids have him much better and he is coming home today but beware. I don't even want to see the bills and we have pet insurance.

Cook it well or freeze it for 2-3 weeks before giving it to the dog.

Tight Lines

2. tinmanxx

tinmanxx Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    7 Meter Donzi / Thunder Rat
    All of my dogs have eaten raw salmon and trimmings from everything we bring home. Dogs only get sick from salmon once, treated with tetracycline from your local feed store when symptoms first start and they are good to go. I live on a creek with spawning salmon so, every dog I have ever owned has had it after their first spawning season.

3. Hoghunter

Hoghunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    nonya
    Glad he made it Dave. Don't want to lose a member of the family. I really watch the dogs when raw salmon is around.

4. North River

North River Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth O/S
    That would be incorrect.

5. DaKanati

DaKanati Captain

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    272 Sailfish "ManCave"
    I lost 2 dogs to salmon poisoning growing up living on a salmon river, and was told by the vet also that once they survived it once they would not get it again. Was also told that it wasn't the flesh that poisoned the dog but something in the spine and the brain.

6. blackelk

blackelk Wishing I was Tuna fishing

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Osprey and 16' hewscraft jet sled
    We grew up along the wynoochee river and my dad still lives there. We were always having new dogs get salmon poisoning as a lot of people would fillet the fish and dispose of the carcass at the boat launch. Our local vet said that once they had salmon poisoning they rarely get it again. He did say they would be immune to that virus, but fish coming from another river would possible have another strain of the virus. I know living along the river every dog got it once and never again. He also told us sturgeon and searun trout can carry the virus as well

http://www.animalcarevets.com/2013/07/salmon-poisoning-disease-dont-blame-the-fish/

Once recovered, many dogs have an immunity to their particular strain of the disease. However, there are multiple strains of Salmon Poisoning Disease and cross-protection between strains does not occur. So infection with an alternate strain is possible.

7. SoCal Redneck

SoCal Redneck We don't have to drink the whole bottle!

Name:
    Daren
    Boat:
    Bartender/fish cleaner for the Mojo
    Almost lost my chessie to this. It's a parasite typically found in Coho salmon. tends to kill dogs, coyotes and ferrets. They may be protected against catching it again from the same river, but if you bring home fish from different places...don't think your dog is now safe.

8. Siv

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    19' SeaSport
    I did bunch of reading about this disease after we brought him home and it is caused by a bacteria living in a parasite that anadromous fish carry. The parasite is in all parts of the fish, meat, guts and even scales. As little as a dog licking a rock with some fish ooze from a guy cleaning a fish can transmit the parasite. I saw nothing about a developed immunity in my reading.The tetracycline does work great once they confirm that salmon poisoning is the problem. He is WAY better and eating well once we got him on the right drugs. Be careful cleaning salmon and steelhead...

9. OceanSun

OceanSun Captain

Name:
    Dan Meyer
    Boat:
    Ocean Dancer 21' Trophy
    I lost a lab pup to this - he was so small treatment didn't work. Was pretty sad as I had just given to my (at the time) 3-yr-old daughter for her birthday.

10. DaveL

DaveL Member

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    21ft Arima - Barbless
    Siv is correct about the organism. A parasite (fluke) is in the salmon, eaten by the dog, and the fluke lodges in the intestine. It then releases another parasite, a rickettsia organism, that then infect various organs, and that is what causes the illness. It requires a particular snail as an intermediate host for the fluke, which is why it is mainly confined to the northwest coast.

My springer had it last year and we had to use another antibiotic because tetracycline is getting very hard to find (none in the entire city of Billings, MT). I think doxycycline was the alternative, and it worked well. The vet will also prescribe anti worming drug to kill the fluke. My dog took about 5 days to start to get her appetite back, and I caught it the same day she showed her first symptoms.

Info: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/salmon.aspx

More: https://oregonvma.org/care-health/salmon-poisoning-disease

I've read about the acquired resistance to the disease and I hope there is some truth to it, but I still keep my dog away from the salmon in our creek. The good news is that it is usually curable if caught early, so just be aware of the symptoms and look for any unusual changes in appetite, energy, and vomiting.

11. whido isle

whido isle capt

Name:
    jay
    Boat:
    25' amf SS245 o/s (bart's legacy)
    is it just the salmon poisoning or salmon blood? I have my vet give my dog a shot but to my understanding it's for the salmon blood

12. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    David, thanks for the great links.

Just wondering, don't people up in Alaska feed salmon to their dogs?

Definitely something I am going to be careful about.

13. Siv

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    19' SeaSport
    There is a parasite that lives in the flesh and blood of salmon that carries a bacteria that makes the dogs very sick. Blood, flesh , guts ..they all carry this.

14. Siv

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    19' SeaSport
    They do but the fish is either well cooked or has been frozen for 2+ weeks. Both of those activities kills the parasite. Raw, uncooked and unfrozen are the culprits.

15. North River

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth O/S
    The parasite is also most common from northern California to Puget Sound.

16. goneishing

goneishing Member

Name:
    david
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 Fear Knot
    Thanks for the post and I am glad your pooch is ok. This is the reason I don't take my dog salmon fishing anymore.

17. Elkfins

Elkfins Ungrateful Prick

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    What about cats... could a guy, say accidentally leave some raw salmon lying about his garden and accidentally kill the neighbors cat that likes to shit in his garden??? Hypothetically of course.

18. North River

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth O/S
    Dogs are the only species affected. Leaving raw salmon out for the cat would probably just lead to more cats.

A nice bowl of antifreeze to wash the salmon down with may take care of the cat situation though.

19. SoCal Redneck

SoCal Redneck We don't have to drink the whole bottle!

Name:
    Daren
    Boat:
    Bartender/fish cleaner for the Mojo
    Also kills ferrets and coyotes. If not caught early, the mortality rate drops significantly.

20. TexMojoII

TexMojoII Well, Shit!

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    Parker 2820
    A lot of the dog teams out in the villages cook down whitefish and make a broth and smoke most of it too, they eat the same as their dogs. Or that's what I have seen in many villages prior to break up, not sure if they give their dogs raw salmon or not, but I did see one dog I tried to get out of his dog house and his food was a freakin moose leg attached to a tree with a log chain by his house. Wonder how often they feed him. LOL