salmon help

stew114

Jul 4, 2022
washington
Name
richard
Boat Name
none
anyone having any luck in area 11 so far? since the reopening of salmon, I can't seem to get anything to bite. did we miss the early run when WDFW closed it until July 1st? I am throwing everything I have and not even a bite. My only downfall I can think of is I had to get a smaller boat and I don't have down riggers anymore so I'm using banana weights and a deep 6.

for guys that may have had some luck so far what gear are you using or color combos? I'm not looking for your spot or anything just looking for a little advice. I am launching from Redondo and point defiance mostly so I'm on the sound end of area 11.

thanks

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat Name
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
No DR, motor mooch. Trolling with banana weights and deep sixes is pointless, not going to catch shit in the top 20', unless you hit 30 minutes before sunrise, IMO. Basically, use 3-4oz banana weights with a cut-plug. Use the speed of the boat to lower/raise the plugs. Take it out of gear for a few seconds, let it sink. Rinse and repeat. That's all we did before DR's. Maybe @Siv will toss you a bone on the techniques. He's one of the few left......Great first post...... BTW, fish when the fish are in, there not in yet, for the most part. Just starting to make their way down the straights.....

Upvote 0

thumbburner

Jun 28, 2014
Name
Stan Prescott
Boat Name
542 Campion
Using WDFW math Area 11 won’t last very long.

During the 3 days of June we were allowed to fish the creel checks reported a sports catch of 291 chinook for area 11 which turned into 639 fish caught against a 539 chinook quota (110% of quota). Shut down after three days.

July 1 & 2 the creel checks reported a sports catch of 333 chinook for area 11. If you use the above math example we are at 731 fish or 26% of the quota of 2813 unmarked chinook.

Upvote 0

stew114

Jul 4, 2022
washington
Name
richard
Boat Name
none
No DR, motor mooch. Trolling with banana weights and deep sixes is pointless, not going to catch shit in the top 20', unless you hit 30 minutes before sunrise, IMO. Basically, use 3-4oz banana weights with a cut-plug. Use the speed of the boat to lower/raise the plugs. Take it out of gear for a few seconds, let it sink. Rinse and repeat. That's all we did before DR's. Maybe @Siv will toss you a bone on the techniques. He's one of the few left......Great first post...... BTW, fish when the fish are in, there not in yet, for the most part. Just starting to make their way down the straights.....
Thanks I’ll try that out next time. Saturday when I was out went from Redondo to dash point to Point defiance down the east side of vashon fish where all over my screen but nothing happened. Same with Friday to but not as far of a trip. I’d like to make it to the straights or sekiu but I only have a 14ft yacht 😎 to big of water for me in that little guy.

I’m just a guy that like to fish that’s what the post is about. Lookin for a little assistance. I have followed bloody decks for a while just never made an account to post anything until today

Thanks again for the tip

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
Aug 3, 2009
Olympia,WA
Name
Brian
Boat Name
Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
I'd go buy a cheap hand crank downrigger and strap that baby on the side of your 14 footer. There is probably someone on here that has one cheap or else try craigslist. It will increase your odds a huge amount fishing the sound. Just run any green hot spot flasher, 30 inch leader, and a green spatter back hoochie and you should put a few fish in the freezer. Get that DR ball somewhere 3/4 of the way down in the water column and hang on.....and do it fast cause they are probably about to close it since 4 fish were caught today for 250 boats.

Upvote 0

stew114

Jul 4, 2022
washington
Name
richard
Boat Name
none
I'd go buy a cheap hand crank downrigger and strap that baby on the side of your 14 footer. There is probably someone on here that has one cheap or else try craigslist. It will increase your odds a huge amount fishing the sound. Just run any green hot spot flasher, 30 inch leader, and a green spatter back hoochie and you should put a few fish in the freezer. Get that DR ball somewhere 3/4 of the way down in the water column and hang on.....and do it fast cause they are probably about to close it since 4 fish were caught today for 250 boats.
I’ll have to rig something up to make one work. I had a 12ft a while back I put a Scotty electric down rigger on lol it was bad ass but the design of this boat I can’t take the bench out to threw bolt a base for it to attach to. It’s all molded in with wood shelf’s and heavy rivets through the side. I’ll see if I can figure out how to attach a picture

Upvote 0

stew114

Jul 4, 2022
washington
Name
richard
Boat Name
none

View attachment 1400273

View attachment 1400274

Upvote 0

stew114

Jul 4, 2022
washington
Name
richard
Boat Name
none

Upvote 0

stew114

Jul 4, 2022
washington
Name
richard
Boat Name
none
I don’t know what happened with the other post anyways it’s molded in with the wood and riveted in through the sides. It’s an aluminum wrapped wooden bench seat

88F19C5F-64AA-4616-8673-E708586E9E53.jpeg

AF88944F-77FF-494A-A4E9-B25A84D99077.jpeg

FCE144BE-ED5A-4433-8A74-6E94AF6BA94E.jpeg

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
Aug 3, 2009
Olympia,WA
Name
Brian
Boat Name
Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
Ur photos arent showing up. It's simple, click attach files, find ur pic, click on it, click insert and click full size.

Disregard...you figured it out

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat Name
Thanks I’ll try that out next time. Saturday when I was out went from Redondo to dash point to Point defiance down the east side of vashon fish where all over my screen but nothing happened. Same with Friday to but not as far of a trip. I’d like to make it to the straights or sekiu but I only have a 14ft yacht 😎 to big of water for me in that little guy.

I’m just a guy that like to fish that’s what the post is about. Lookin for a little assistance. I have followed bloody decks for a while just never made an account to post anything until today

Thanks again for the tip
Are you a transplant? Most likely are.......you can fish a 14' at CQ 75% of the time in front of the cave. They actually rent those there. It's all of a 5 minute slow run to get there. Try and do some of your own research, it's called google........BTW, you mean Maury Island instead of Vashon or the WEST side of Vashon????? Good-luck, be safe....

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat Name
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
You’d be fine at sekiu in your 14’. I’ve been running an 8’ out of there. Just watch the wind.

But I’ve got one of the hand crank Scotty’s I’ll give you. I used it twice last spring and decided I preferred mooching on the dinghy. Troll on a big boat, jig and mooch on the little one.

PM me if you want that little Scotty. It’s a lake troller with the gunnel clamp. I respooled it with 80# metered braid so you know your depth to the 5’.

Upvote 0

stew114

Jul 4, 2022
washington
Name
richard
Boat Name
none
Are you a transplant? Most likely are.......you can fish a 14' at CQ 75% of the time in front of the cave. They actually rent those there. It's all of a 5 minute slow run to get there. Try and do some of your own research, it's called google........BTW, you mean Maury Island instead of Vashon or the WEST side of Vashon????? Good-luck, be safe....
its all connected but I appreciate the smart ass come back. every time ive been out at sekiu the water has been nothin but big rollers coming in dont think my little 9.9 would have the juice to go up and over them on the way back to olson's unless you talking about staying in the cove

Upvote 0

linestripper

been here awhile
Sep 19, 2008
port orchard, WA. usa
Name
howard
Boat Name
19' seaswirl- linestripper
saw a lot of moochers and jiggers with fish on Friday. we came out with a 10# and 8 # with downriggers. lost a couple unseen. there were a lot of nets out for horrible tide swing.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat Name
its all connected but I appreciate the smart ass come back. every time ive been out at sekiu the water has been nothin but big rollers coming in dont think my little 9.9 would have the juice to go up and over them on the way back to olson's unless you talking about staying in the cove
Just trying to give you a bit of advice. If you don't want it leave...............probably should not have even wasted my time. You want pretty butterflies and unicorns, go to IFish. I see people fishing the cave all the time in a small skiff. I root for them.....CQ can be a mill pond at times in end of July/August......or if you know WTF your doing ask to be a boat ho. However if you don't like smart-asses, may as well pack-up.....mmmmmm, love me some stew...good stuff....

Upvote 0

stew114

Jul 4, 2022
washington
Name
richard
Boat Name
none
Just trying to give you a bit of advice. If you don't want it leave...............probably should not have even wasted my time. You want pretty butterflies and unicorns, go to IFish. I see people fishing the cave all the time in a small skiff. I root for them.....CQ can be a mill pond at times in end of July/August......or if you know WTF your doing ask to be a boat ho. However if you don't like smart-asses, may as well pack-up.....mmmmmm, love me some stew...good stuff....
You obviously read that wrong 🤦‍♂️. Are the caves in the cove of sekiu / clallam bay or do you head down the straight more to pillar point? I do some wild shit I’m not afraid to risk if I had a 15 or 25hp motor I wouldn’t question it but all I got is a little 9.9 scooter

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat Name
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Anchovies in a tight spin right on the deck.
Here's a north end of MA13 keeper from yesterday.
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-04 at 10.18.51 AM.jpeg

Reactions: PSULion and A-K
Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat Name
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
I probably should have died in sekiu. I had a 9.5 sport twin evinrude(old as fuck) on a van ripers kicker boat for for the first 1/4 of my life. Quit being a bitch and go fishing, or make up excuses and sit home. Your choice🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat Name
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
get some god dammed downriggers or keep fucking around and struggling. I remember when I was a cheap fuck too (long time ago) and I kept looking for work arounds because a manual downriggers was 150 large. Mooching. Jigging. Staying close to home in high numbered marine areas. Not catching alot. However I found jigging darts to be fairly effective. Never did like mooching as much since the ever present dog fish will hammer your gear all day.

Then I splurged for one DR. And ran that for a year or so and realized I had been wasting alot of time and money screwing around. Also I go where the fish ARE. I’m not trying to be a MA13 “1 percenter”. The elite who catch a fish 1/3 outings. Hats off to em but I got shit to do and want action.

Your 14 footer is fine unless you get stupid with it. Sekiu in the summer mornings is usually glass. And a 9.9 had all the power it needs. We used to rent the sekiu skiffs (15 footers I believe) and saved money by clamping an 80s evinrude 7.5 on it and then sometimes a 1961 evinrude 18hp fast twin (love the old school concept of twin 18s!)

Get a short boom DR and run a smaller 8lb ball and git r done

Reactions: EJ Swanny and A-K
Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat Name
Your 14 footer is fine unless you get stupid with it. Sekiu in the summer mornings is usually glass. And a 9.9 had all the power it needs. We used to rent the sekiu skiffs (15 footers I believe) and saved money by clamping an 80s evinrude 7.5 on it and then sometimes a 1961 evinrude 18hp fast twin (love the old school concept of twin 18s!)

Get a short boom DR and run a smaller 8lb ball and git r done
Been there done that.....when boatless for a few years, me and Dad would bring our 7.5 Johnson, and borrow another 7.5. We ran two pieces of junk off those skiffs. It was a shit show, but got it up on plane. Don't really have to be on plane to get to the cave, just put-put out there......it's all of a 1/4 mile....good memories.....nothing like fishing the Q in the early morning fog...magical...

Reactions: Captain Decent
Upvote 0