Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Hey all, just curious where you all get your salmon heads from if you use those for bait for hooping. I’ve been to every Asian market and fish place in a 5 mile radius and everyone looks at me like I’m nuts. I’m in Newport, so anyone in north OC have any suggestions?? Thanks! I’m going out tonight so we’ll see how it goes... will report back

Upvote 0

Petercali

Jul 26, 2014
Name
Peter
Boat
18'
Hey all, just curious where you all get your salmon heads from if you use those for bait for hooping. I’ve been to every Asian market and fish place in a 5 mile radius and everyone looks at me like I’m nuts. I’m in Newport, so anyone in north OC have any suggestions?? Thanks! I’m going out tonight so we’ll see how it goes... will report back

Upvote 0

Petercali

Jul 26, 2014
Name
Peter
Boat
18'
Hi,

I usually buy Salmon heads at

Best Choice Supermarket
12081 Brookhurst St, Garden Grove 92840 (714) 530-3148

Dalat Supermarket
13075 S Euclid St, Garden Grove 92843 (714) 467-4562

Call them first to make sure and good luck

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I don’t know there name, but there at the corner of magnolia and garden grove Blvd.

Reactions: Robdog1
Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
IMHO:
Waaaaayyy Overrated...
I usually use Macs, but the mac getting has been tough the last few times, I’m assuming from the water temp dropping and the rain. Someone told me to use salmon heads, I’ve used them before but not for a few seasons.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    ABC and the Asian market at Beach n Bolsa In Midway city

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I usually use Macs, but the mac getting has been tough the last few times, I’m assuming from the water temp dropping and the rain. Someone told me to use salmon heads, I’ve used them before but not for a few seasons.
    I haven’t had much luck with salmon heads personally, Yes Macs been hard to catch so I buy the big Norwegian macro at the Asian market, expensive but it works kick ass.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320

I used Salmon Heads one-time, didn't work for me, didn't like using them, still won't use them, I know a place where you can get them free if you time it right. John.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Never seen whole sardines used before that’s a new one!

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Have you tried Tokyo central on harbor? I'm pretty sure they normally have salmon heads.
    Funny you mention that, I tried there and the lady looked at me like I was batshit crazy and said “we no have heads, we never have heads, never will.” Which is utter BS. I ended up using the Norwegian mackerel fillets, they actually work extremely well!

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Funny you mention that, I tried there and the lady looked at me like I was batshit crazy and said “we no have heads, we never have heads, never will.” Which is utter BS. I ended up using the Norwegian mackerel fillets, they actually work extremely well!
    Did you go or rain out tonight? I might run tomorrow mabye share info...

Upvote 0

parrotfish

Feb 26, 2014
    Name
    Bryan Thompson
    Boat
    Parker2520
    South Coast Seafood on Lampson just east fo Knott usually has salmon heads. Twenty per box, $15

Upvote 0
    Jul 29, 2019
    Newport beach
    Name
    Matt Bush
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    Sounds like an unhappy worker haha. I've seen them there countless times.

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
    May 28, 2006
    Chino,Ca
    Name
    Leonard
    Boat
    Mine
    Another BD member hooked me up with my seller. So I can post name of place but I will say you need to buy from whole sale places to get better pricing.

Upvote 0

Dollasign18

Oct 28, 2019
    LA
    Name
    P
    Boat
    Defiance 220 NT & BW SL 16
    Asian supermarket ( my thuan) on Magnolia and Westminster has baby salmon heads, salmon heads , king mackerel heads and Norwegian mackerels all the time and sometimes tuna head. If you bring salmon head to front register instead of fish butcher to check out they will sometimes charge you for catfish head at around 80 cents a pound

Upvote 0