hosstyle

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 27, 2013
Placentia, CA
Name
Hoss
Boat
Nope
Getting a buddy who moved to Cali from Detroit into saltwater fishing. The thing is he is hell bent on starting his new hobby with a salmon trip. I don't know salmon as I mostly fish SoCal waters and was wondering if someone can please help with where one can target these guys

Much appreciated

Upvote 0

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
Sounds like he is missing the Great Lakes. Wind and more wind has been the issue so far this year in the north. Keep watching reports from Monterey north. Be ready to go when they're snapping. Eureka the place to be right now for Salmon and you can have double limits for two day trips. Plus the fact you can fill a cooler with some quality rock fish usually in the same trip. I'm wondering why he's not jumping on the Blue Fin bite Socal has been having this year??

Upvote 0

cabo jon

Carey-On
Jun 22, 2012
Cameron Park/Moss Landing, Ca
Name
jon
Boat
Carey-On
Fish are biting full speed in shallow water in Santa Cruz. Also some fish around point pinos. Not sure where Placentia, Ca is. Trolling bait is the hot ticket this year. If it is your first time for salmon I reccomend getting a 6 pac before attempting on your own.

Upvote 0

hosstyle

Jan 27, 2013
Placentia, CA
Name
Hoss
Boat
Nope
Sounds like he is missing the Great Lakes. Wind and more wind has been the issue so far this year in the north. Keep watching reports from Monterey north. Be ready to go when they're snapping. Eureka the place to be right now for Salmon and you can have double limits for two day trips. Plus the fact you can fill a cooler with some quality rock fish usually in the same trip. I'm wondering why he's not jumping on the Blue Fin bite Socal has been having this year??

I think he saw a few episodes of wicked tuna and it scared the shit out of him.lol

Upvote 0

hosstyle

Jan 27, 2013
Placentia, CA
Name
Hoss
Boat
Nope
Fish are biting full speed in shallow water in Santa Cruz. Also some fish around point pinos. Not sure where Placentia, Ca is. Trolling bait is the hot ticket this year. If it is your first time for salmon I reccomend getting a 6 pac before attempting on your own.[/quote

Thanks for the tips John, Placentia is down here by Anaheim but wanted to make this into a little road trip.

Upvote 0

cabo jon

Carey-On
Jun 22, 2012
Cameron Park/Moss Landing, Ca
Name
jon
Boat
Carey-On
C
Coming from down south I recommend Monterey Bay. Fish just started biting after a 6 week lull. Are you towing a boat up? If not there are a few of us 6 pac guys and a handfull of party boats. Shoot me a pm and I can help point you in the right direction, depending on where your destination is.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Yea, best bet is an established operator to show you the ropes. It's not rocket science but getting on fish is always a bonus :).

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
You WON'T be missed!!, Besides you are NOT "Manly" enough to reel in a Salmon, stick to the farm ponds & 5 inch Blue Gill that provide a more than substantial challenge for your neophyte impotent fishing abilities...Alex

Yeah I'm not manly enough to reel in the weakest of all "gamefish" :rolleyes:

Reactions: dalluge
Upvote 0

hosstyle

Jan 27, 2013
Placentia, CA
Name
Hoss
Boat
Nope
I would just not go

Why? Going to be a sick ass road trip with my buddy if you ask me. head up there and hopefully catch some salmon and halibut in the pacific, and maybe stay an extra day to catch some tuna in the bars. Bullshitting and shootin the shit the whole way up and back. Doesn't sound like a shitty time to me. kinda sounds like u would be a drag on any fishing trip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Are you guys planning to trailer a boat up or book a trip with someone?

Reason I ask is that we would be happy to share what info we have, but if going on a charter then they can hook you up.

One word of caution: If your bro has limited experience offshore it can be especially rough in Norcal waters. Seasickness precautions are highly recommended if you are at all unsure.

Upvote 0

hosstyle

Jan 27, 2013
Placentia, CA
Name
Hoss
Boat
Nope
Are you guys planning to trailer a boat up or book a trip with someone?

Reason I ask is that we would be happy to share what info we have, but if going on a charter then they can hook you up.

One word of caution: If your bro has limited experience offshore it can be especially rough in Norcal waters. Seasickness precautions are highly recommended if you are at all unsure.

How goes it John? I was actually explaining that part to him, but he has decided to man up and give it a try. As far as boat or charter, I think we are going with a charter. since I have no experience up there.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
How goes it John? I was actually explaining that part to him, but he has decided to man up and give it a try. As far as boat or charter, I think we are going with a charter. since I have no experience up there.

kk, if you are dead set on going out of Monterey Bay then the boat is the Kahuna out of Moss Landing.

http://kahunasportfishing.com/

Very professional and hard working.

Half Moon bay is another hour North, then you have the boats out of Emeryville (Oakland essentially) another hour and a half or so. After that it is Bodega Bay etc as you head farther and farther north. Beautiful country.

The best way to get bit is to follow the reports from the various landings and drive to where the bite is and as above http://baysidemarinesc.com/ will have the latest dope as to where that is.

Sounds like the bite has picked up in the Monterey bay area off of Santa Cruz.

The technique will be mooching on the Kahuna. A standard 20lb or 30lb conventional reel spooled with 40lb braid and a light (15-30lb) 7'-8' foot rod will be the ticket. 6-8oz banana sinkers to *barbless* circle hooks on a 6'-8' 30lb leader. All tackle is available at check in, but I would bring my own rod/reel.

Bite is *very light*. Think trout fishing at the lake and a 30lber takes the bait like an 8" trout. You just gotta be patient and let them eat. Once you've convinced yourself that it's in their mouth then a simple steady (not fast) wind tight and slow lift of the rod and their hooked.

If you decide to go further north they may troll, and that is a diff kettle of fish.

Keep us updated and we will try and help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hosstyle

Jan 27, 2013
Placentia, CA
Name
Hoss
Boat
Nope
kk, if you are dead set on going out of Monterey Bay then the boat is the Kahuna out of Moss Landing.

http://kahunasportfishing.com/

Very professional and hard working.

Half Moon bay is another hour North, then you have the boats out of Emeryville (Oakland essentially) another hour and a half or so. After that it is Bodega Bay etc as you head farther and farther north. Beautiful country.

The best way to get bit is to follow the reports from the various landings and drive to where the bite is and as above http://baysidemarinesc.com/ will have the latest dope as to where that is.

Sounds like the bite has picked up in the Monterey bay area off of Santa Cruz.

The technique will be mooching on the Kahuna. A standard 20lb or 30lb conventional reel and a light 7 foot rod will be the ticket. 6-8oz banana sinkers to *barbless* circle hooks on a 6'-8' 30lb leader. All tackle is available at check in, but I would bring my own rod/reel.

Bite is *very light*. Think trout fishing at the lake and a 30lber takes the bait like an 8" trout. You just gotta be patient and let them eat. Once you've convinced yourself that it's in their mouth then a simple steady (not fast) wind tight and slow lift of the rod and their hooked.

If you decide to go further north they may troll, and that is a diff kettle of fish.

Keep us updated and we will try and help.

Nice! Always a book full of help and info John much appreciated sir.

Upvote 0