• Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat Name
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    interesting read

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kitsapsun.com/amp/3253460002

Genetic testing of salmon tissues at sea showed a mixture of species coming from streams as far north as Alaska and as far south as the Columbia River.

On the other hand, coho salmon were in far better shape. They were the second-most-abundant fish caught in the study, which was another big surprise. Other studies, conducted mostly in the summer, had led researchers to believe that coho stayed in the coastal regions. That seemed reasonable, since coho spend only a year-and-a-half in the ocean. And yet here they were far out at sea.

“The coho looked great,” Weitkamp said. “They had full stomachs. But it’s really puzzling, because we thought that they were a coastal fish.”

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat Name
    So it’s clear to me that wildlife researchers know everything there is to know about the lifecycle of salmon to be able to micromanage the overall health of the [tbd] species.

Maybe they forgot to ask the fish surveyed what species they self-identify as? Maybe all the pinks decided to be coho?

Reactions: carrie's bait boy
    Upvote 0

fishbadger

• Apr 6, 2012
    WA
    Name
    fishbadger
    Boat Name
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    It's a good first step. . .would like to see money put into this extent of survey yearly, over a few decades, to see what happens in different environmental cycles. I bet some of the results would surprise us.

fb

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat Name
    I’m sure we would all be surprised, the thing I’m surprised the most about is researchers thinking they have it all figured out. They aren’t smart enough to realize they don’t know what they don’t know and probably don’t understand what they do know.

Reactions: wdlfbio
    Upvote 0