Gilbert Gonzalez Jr.
May 11, 2012
Aliso Viejo
Name
Gilbert Gonzalez Jr.
Boat
8.5x32, 149's, and 52mm.
Hey guys!

I have some left over jars from my trout fishing kit and was wondering if anyone has used it in the surf?

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
It wouldn't surprise me if it would work.I catch fish on little pieces of those Powerbait sandworms that are a red color.

Reactions: GClev and NumbThumb
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Berkley power bait dough will fall off the hook in the white wash. If it didn't it would catch surf fish.

I'm not sure on the law. So please check that first. But I have fished over 1000 beach days in so cal. Never crossed my mind. But BSP will devour just the eggs in a hard shell sand crab often times. Reason point of hook should exit the roe. So I would imagine most surf fish would inhale salmon eggs. If its legal.

Was a sand crab purest for many years as Corbina and Spotfin were the target. 4lb line long light trout rod. Gulp sandworm out fishes the hard shell sand crab. But not a softshell. Corbs and spotfin key in on gulp, some weird science chemistry cheating thing. Halibut, juvenile wsb, leopard sharks, bat rays, shovel nose, golden roffie ect, eat the gulp better then a hard shell sand crab.

Same with the exotic beach species on the smaller side, down here. Smoking them on gulp

I stopped fishing a orange bead below the carolina slider. To many fish were eating the bead LOL

Upvote 0

Whalebreath

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 6, 2008
Vancouver BC
Name
Carl Z
Boat
Try using a spawn sack so the stuff doesn't wash out so quickly.

spawn_sack1.gif

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Powerbait - I have my doubts. Salmon eggs should do wonders off the rocks for opaleye and such. I have a friend that slays the perch off the rocks on veg-all. They may like the eggs even better than veg-all. Veg-all is a lot cheaper, though!

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
    Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    Maybe take some of the orange powerbait and stick it in the hollow cavity of a small tube and see if it works. Do a tandem rig with a tube filled with powerbait, and one just covered with smashed salmon egg and see if any one gets bit more often. Berkley does know how to make some good scents. I have some tubes of this discontinued glitter paste scent you put on plastics for green bass and it works excellent on green bass. I've used saltwater scents like procure and hot sauce on green bass, but never thought of trying freshwater scents on saltwater fish...might be worth a shot. You can always try using it with one of those treble hooks with the spring on it for catfish dough bait and that should stay on long enough to get a bite.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Try using a spawn sack so the stuff doesn't wash out so quickly.

spawn_sack1.gif

Without ever even trying. Yah that will work. Maybe egg sack sand crab combo. Super prego sand crab hybrid

Classic. After my first post I later thought about a egg sack. Maybe in a mesh bag

Reactions: NumbThumb
    Upvote 0

ono no

Apr 17, 2012
    Newport Beach
    Name
    George
    Boat
    none
    No BS years ago some kook next to me on the CDM Jetty was using rainbow trout dough on a treble hook and about 30 min later pulls in a short Halibut. Who's the kook now....I was dumbfounded. Also another time some guy pulls up next to me in the harbor side of the wedge and threw out night crawlers (and not blood worms). I rolled my eyes and then shockingly this guy out fished me 4 to 1 while I was using frozen anchovy. Cant figure it out but you just never know what works.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    We were anchored up at Cortez and some guy pulls out a jar of flourescent yellow sparkle and as a joke dropped it on the reef .... it was one instant whitefish after another... only whitefish but no more than 10 seconds after hitting bottom over and over til the jar ran out ...

Reactions: NumbThumb
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    We were anchored up at Cortez and some guy pulls out a jar of flourescent yellow sparkle and as a joke dropped it on the reef .... it was one instant whitefish after another... only whitefish but no more than 10 seconds after hitting bottom over and over til the jar ran out ...
    You didn't reference a post so can assume you are talking about this?
    http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berk...ait/powerbait-glitter-trout-bait/1285455.html

Or this?
    http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkley-bait-dough-berkley-gulp/gulp-trout-dough/1285386.html

Upvote 0

NumbThumb

Gilbert Gonzalez Jr.
    May 11, 2012
    Aliso Viejo
    Name
    Gilbert Gonzalez Jr.
    Boat
    8.5x32, 149's, and 52mm.
    Tried the dough and the eggs by the jetty and no bite. I even watched fish inspect it. Now I'm wondering if it will work with Corbina.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Smelt4bait

Mar 12, 2007
    Anaheim
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    18 ft Runabout 'Fathom This'
    I was at Doheny with the family and some guy shows up with a 6ft spinning rod, hi/lo pyramid sinker and nightcrawlers, I laughed until it was non stop croakers and spotfin. Who'd of thunk?

Upvote 0

NumbThumb

Gilbert Gonzalez Jr.
    May 11, 2012
    Aliso Viejo
    Name
    Gilbert Gonzalez Jr.
    Boat
    8.5x32, 149's, and 52mm.
    I was at Doheny with the family and some guy shows up with a 6ft spinning rod, hi/lo pyramid sinker and nightcrawlers, I laughed until it was non stop croakers and spotfin. Who'd of thunk?

Could be because they are similar to blood worms. Who knows, but awesome!

Upvote 0