Salmon and Rockfishing? What are the rules?

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Anthony Hicks
Boat
Good Deal
Trying to understand rock fishing regulations when you have SALMON on board for the Central Region. My reading of the regulations indicate that IF you have salmon on board AND you are using bait then you HAVE to use barbless circle hooks regardless of target species. However, if you are NOT using bait then the regulations are unclear. It appears that if you are not using bait AND have salmon on board and you are NOT targeting salmon you can use no more than 2 barbed hooks. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
The simplest way to stay within reg is to catch rockfish first with whatever hear you want then go for salmon with the barbless hooks.

Simply put if you have salmon on board and are fishing with barbed.hooks for rockfish you could get in trouble..

Reactions: salty nuts
Andrew Kovach
Andrew Kovach
I haven’t been Salmon fishing since 1998.
At the time it was my understanding that if one used any Lure that was sold with barbed hooks it was ok to catch Salmon with that Lure.
Otherwise one must use barbless hooks to keep Salmon.
Have the rules changed?
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Anthony Hicks
Boat
Good Deal
The simplest way to stay within reg is to catch rockfish first with whatever hear you want then go for salmon with the barbless hooks.

Simply put if you have salmon on board and are fishing with barbed.hooks for rockfish you could get in trouble..
That is what most people assume, but I can't find anything in the regs that support this....

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
And once you have cods on board you are limited on depth

Reactions: kevina
Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
That is what most people assume, but I can't find anything in the regs that support this....
I'm not sure what is confusing you but once you have a particular fish on board your current fishing "method" is restricted to the catch requirements of that fish. Rule of thumb,is to fish the least restrictive to the most restrictive.

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Anthony Hicks
Boat
Good Deal
I'm not sure what is confusing you but once you have a particular fish on board your current fishing "method" is restricted to the catch requirements of that fish. Rule of thumb,is to fish the least restrictive to the most restrictive.
It doesn’t say that anywhere in the regs. Nothing in the regs say that you are restricted on catching rockfish once you have salmon. If you are using bait then you can only use barbless hooks, but if not using bait there does not seem to be any restriction.
Are you referring to a specific regulation?

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Salmon are a barbless only fishery north of conception . If you have salmon on board and are fishing with barbed hooks for rockfish the wardens can't tell if you caught the salmon with the barbed gear you are currently fishing with . If you have cods on board there are depth limits for them . Now you can't fish salmon deeper then the legal limits for cod.
It sucks but that's the way it is . Salmon season and lobster openers are like the super bowl for wardens they are not going to have much of a sense of humor.

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    If you have a cod on board and lets just say your fishing salmon in a 1000 feet after you got your cods. Then you get boarded by DFG while fishing salmon and they look in your box and see cods, Bottom line is that your busted, Why? The DFG will assume you caught those fish in 1000 feet even though you caught them within the allowable depth. It's the same if I caught my cods in the AM and went fishing Makos or Swordfish in 1200 feet plus of water and using completely different set ups, I'm Busted. It sucks, But that's what it is!

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
    Upvote 0

Barkoff

Parker 2320
    Oct 6, 2010
    Hollister CA USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Dorothy G
    Sometimes I think they make these rules with the intent of hassling fisherman.
    If you have a salmon on board and jigging a Scampi for rockfish, I think it’s pretty evident your intent.

Upvote 0