Ventura Bill

Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat
None
Hi,

We ((my family but me and my boy 11 will be fishing) will be visiting this summer arriving in Anchorage and staying mostly in Homer.

1) Would like to try do some fly fishing (unfortunately this will be our first time fly fishing as this stupid virus cancelled our lessons and trips that were planned for the spring down her here). My son is an excellent fisherman but as this will be our first time fly fishing I want to keep the level in mind.

2) We will be spending most of our time in Homer and would like to get out for some halibut fishing. We could be 2-4 or 6 and are have good experience in rock and ling fishing just no halibut, yet.

We've gone back and forth on taking this trip and our friends in Homer are really pushing for us to come so we're going.

Want to make the most of is as we've put the planning on hold for a spell.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
Bill

May 17, 2019
Eagle River
Name
Joe
Boat
Salmonella
There are some creeks down there to fly fish for rainbows but if i was you since you guys are new to fly fishing i would hire a guide on one of the local rivers down that way. If you want to have a chance at catching a world class rainbow i would get a guide on the kenai river for the day. Granted i think most of the fly fishing they do is with bobbers or strike indicators and long drifts in the boat but they get some real big rainbows out of there especially when the reds are in. what time of the summer are you coming.

URN

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 20, 2018
Anchorage
Name
URN
Boat
Whaler 25
Hi,

We ((my family but me and my boy 11 will be fishing) will be visiting this summer arriving in Anchorage and staying mostly in Homer.

1) Would like to try do some fly fishing (unfortunately this will be our first time fly fishing as this stupid virus cancelled our lessons and trips that were planned for the spring down her here). My son is an excellent fisherman but as this will be our first time fly fishing I want to keep the level in mind.

2) We will be spending most of our time in Homer and would like to get out for some halibut fishing. We could be 2-4 or 6 and are have good experience in rock and ling fishing just no halibut, yet.

We've gone back and forth on taking this trip and our friends in Homer are really pushing for us to come so we're going.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
Bill
I'd also like to know when you're coming. As of right now there is a 14 day quarantine and it will be re-evaluated on June 2 with most likely being extended again. I have family coming in July and we'll see if they can get in.

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB
May 17, 2019
Eagle River
Name
Joe
Boat
Salmonella
we also had family that was supposed to come up late july hopefully they lift the quarantine by then. I guess the rivers wont be as packed with people this year, might be a little more enjoyable to bank fish the rivers (sorry non res). heaven for bid we might get the scary over escapement on the kenai river the adfg always is worried about. I was curious about out of state license sales and the state sells twice as many non res fishing licenses then resident licenses. I thought that was pretty crazy.

Ventura Bill

Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat
None
I'd also like to know when you're coming. As of right now there is a 14 day quarantine and it will be re-evaluated on June 2 with most likely being extended again. I have family coming in July and we'll see if they can get in.
We are leaving the 24th as of now.

Ventura Bill

Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat
None
Article in today's paper - we need to be tested 3 days before we come. We're coming for sure!

Dunleavy said in a media briefing Friday that travelers from out of state, who will need to be tested for COVID-19 within 72 hours of boarding a plane to Alaska, will be asked to provide test results and fill out paperwork when they arrive.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/202...iring-they-be-tested-before-flying-to-alaska/

caballo del mar

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
How long does it take to get results for a Coronavirus test ? If you have to be tested within 72 hours before departure, you would have to find a company that would give you the results quickly. I believe CVS said up to 72 hours for their results and could email them to you.

Last edited:

DreamFish

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 9, 2017
Laguna Hills, CA
Name
Craig Cosbey
Boat
Friends or Float Tube
Hi,

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
Bill
I have a personal friend, Kim Zetterberg, who is a guide at the Fly Box in Anchor Point, just north of Homer. Close. He is master fly tyer and master fly fisherman. Both single handed and Spey/Skagit casting. Detailed and will get you on fish.
Check him out at
Tell him I referenced him. No $ to me, just good info.
Have fun.
Craig Cosbey

Reactions: Ventura Bill

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
How long does it take to get results for a Coronavirus test ? If you have to be tested within 72 hours before departure, you would have to find a company that would give you the results quickly. I believe CVS said up to 72 hours for their results and could email them to you.
Just did my test today. It’s 2-4 days for result.

Ventura Bill

Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat
None

I've heard locally of tests that give results in the same day. There is a testing location up the street from us that we are going to check out. I'll let you know.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
I've heard locally of tests that give results in the same day. There is a testing location up the street from us that we are going to check out. I'll let you know.
Getting tested 72 hours before and waiting 72 hours for the results is hard to meet. I know they can email you the results but I’d rather have it in my hand before I leave. Keep me posted. Thanks

Ventura Bill

Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat
None
An update though nothing for sure.

Across the five people in my family we taken four tests. One result came within three days (got results in the evening of day 3) one was inconclusive and the others were more than three and less than five.

No one is committing to providing results in three days. We've offered to pay but there is no mechanism to do that for the labs we've talked to.

Our plan for now is to get a test five days before leaving (to be sure we are negative) and then again three days prior. If we get the three day results great if not we will take the airport test there.

Our original plan was to spend 2-3 days in Anchorage when we arrived. However, we are now considering going straight to coopers landing and waiting there for test results. We hear that we can go fishing under quarantine. I need to make some calls to confirm.

Will be interesting.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
It doesn’t appear to be a good system with the waiting time for results especially if it comes back inconclusive. But at least I’m going. I am going to Yakutat and it takes 2 days to get there plus 72 hours so I should have results (if I get email)when or before I land. And that’s if I have service. I would think I would have it at the Airport. If I take the test at the airport, I would have to wait another 72 plus hours for results? It’s a little confusing. Keep me posted. I’m not going until Sept., so I still have a little time.

Last edited:

Ventura Bill

Dec 22, 2016
Ventura
Name
Bill
Boat
None
They do have specific restrictions for the back country. In short I think you can only go where there are roads. You may want to check into this as they may keep you in anchorage until you get results.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Hopefully everything will be a little more clear when I go. Yakutat is open for business now. I got an email from a Charter company. They have the same rules as rest of the Alaska. I’m sure you will have a better idea after your trip.

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
Yesterday, 6/11, I flew from LAX to Anchorage on Alaska Air, and then flew from Anchorage to Kenai on Grant.

I got tested at home in SoCal before I left just to be on the safe side....but to be perfectly honest the whole “take a test at the airport” thing ended up being sorta voluntary and wasn’t really enforced by anyone.

Not one single time throughout my journey was I asked to show test results. Yes, when we got off the plane in Anchorage and before you exited the gates/secure area they had testing stations setup and staffed and all that....but you literally could just keep on walking past them if you wanted to and there was nobody really enforcing the “requirements.”

Same thing before boarding my Grant flight to Kenai.....they asked each passenger if they felt sick, had a fever, sore throat, etc. But that was the full extent of their due diligence. Besides asking people to wear face masks when boarding the (rather small) plane, everything else was business as usual.

All that to say - I wouldn’t lose sleep over it!

Yes, prob a good idea to get negative test results back 72 hours or less before you leave on your trip and not risk having to take a test at the airport. But in all honesty Alaska’s 14 day mandatory quarantine thing has never been enforced or even followed up on once you leave the airport. Seems like they’re kinda counting on people to comply.....but they aren’t going to make a big fuss about anyone who refuses.

Hope that helps a little bit with everyone’s planning for an AK trip in the near future. 👌