Wild West
Aug 7, 2003
Ventura
Visit site
Name
Bob
Boat
25 Skipjack SC
Went out local from Ventura for the salmon opener but no luck. Fished off Carp. There were only two other boats out fishing for salmon in the area and they didn't report any fish either. With the fish up and down the coast above Conception, and the lower water temps everywhere this year, and all the bait down here locally, I think there could be fish around but there was just not enough boat coverage to locate them. It could also start to happen down here after a month or so as that is often the pattern when fish do show.

Sabalo

Sep 16, 2003
Santa Barbara
Visit site
Name
Craig
Boat
Parker 2320
Hey Bob - I was north of you guys on Sat am, in the gap and inside the upper 4. Looked good with tonnage of bait, right color, etc. No knock downs for me either. Sounds like we need to go to Avila. I may tow up on Friday if weather looks ok. Hope to get some local fish this year. We are overdue.

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
i fished morro and psl for opener. over 100 boats, most limited by noon easily, bit anything you used. we limited out as well for 5 guys. it was wide open, ive never seen it this gd in awhie. radio was blown up with doubles,triples and even quads. i might be there again this wk end if weather looks gd.

Wild West

Wild West
Aug 7, 2003
Ventura
Visit site
Name
Bob
Boat
25 Skipjack SC
i fished morro and psl for opener. over 100 boats, most limited by noon easily, bit anything you used. we limited out as well for 5 guys. it was wide open, ive never seen it this gd in awhie. radio was blown up with doubles,triples and even quads. i might be there again this wk end if weather looks gd.
Wow, sounds like a killer day! Was it just as good out in front of Morro as it was down off Avila? Seemed like the fish were bigger out of Morro last year.

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Salmon envy, from us up North CA!

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    Few pics

IMG_20210405_142039.jpg

IMG_20210405_131424.jpg

IMG_20210405_125637.jpg

IMG_20210403_120640.jpg

IMG_20210403_113546.jpg

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    Nice slabs, we are stuck on shore, up north!
    opening weekend was flat and smooth til noon. weather kicked in and snotty ride back. worst being sunday. now i see 40mph winds + all wk and this weekend. i guess its time to finnish my new ap44 install and new lonestar drum winch. wind is up to 40+ mph all week and weekend. so when weather permits, ill plan a 2 day trip back over. i seen on port san luis launch facebook page that some very nice halibut were caught. so first dat ill troll salmon, second grab a quick limit rockfish and ball bounce the rest day for some flatties.

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    opening weekend was flat and smooth til noon. weather kicked in and snotty ride back. worst being sunday. now i see 40mph winds + all wk and this weekend. i guess its time to finnish my new ap44 install and new lonestar drum winch. wind is up to 40+ mph all week and weekend. so when weather permits, ill plan a 2 day trip back over. i seen on port san luis launch facebook page that some very nice halibut were caught. so first dat ill troll salmon, second grab a quick limit rockfish and ball bounce the rest day for some flatties.
    The Trifecta, Nice!

Reactions: John Stidman

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    I have been thinking about trying salmon fishing out of Avila. Any tiles you guys want to share? I primarily fish Channel Islands and SD.
    thats where i fish for salmon. psl or morro. i usually launch in morro as i stay a couple days. salmon firt and rock fish second. bite was wide open on opener and after. wind haSs been real hard all wk and wk end. check weather before hand. i know virgs landing and others canceled party boats. ive caught fish at all depths. if you launch at psl, you have to be back by 4pm. launch closes. i launch morro and drive around as i can sleep in boat or truck in lot. fish were biting on everything. all nine on watermelon apex with watermelon flashers. i dont tie my flasher, dodger to my line on pole. always feels like fish reeling it in. i cut my down rigger clip in half and tie in betreen the clamps. makes bringing in the line on rod easier and its always got me fish. i run my apex 10 feet from wire . just head straight and about 120 ft start looking for bait balls and trolling. fish are everywhere. look for bird sitting as bait is usually under them. im sure you know this but this works for me. if you need any more info pm me. also if you head there pm me i may be there.

NoFeelings

Almost A Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Irvine/CA/U.S.A.
    Name
    Eddy
    Boat
    Parker 2320 “No Feelings”
    I’m thinking about heading up to Morro once the wind calms the heck down. Thanks for the info, I’ve never fished for salmon before. No downrigger, maybe I’ll pick one up or use a release clip.

Appreciate the intel!

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    I’m thinking about heading up to Morro once the wind calms the heck down. Thanks for the info, I’ve never fished for salmon before. No downrigger, maybe I’ll pick one up or use a release clip.

Appreciate the intel!
    yeah, let me know i will be there next decent few days for more. since psl had some nice butts caught. ill prob hit salmon first day then rockfish and ball bounce for butts at the end. i have those releases, used them many times. i would count down or let hit bottom the reel up 20 ftg.i have tons of downrigger balls, and also tons of 1 to 3 lb balls and molds for them all, plus smaller sizes as well.

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    yeah, let me know i will be there next decent few days for more. since psl had some nice butts caught. ill prob hit salmon first day then rockfish and ball bounce for butts at the end. i have those releases, used them many times. i would count down or let hit bottom the reel up 20 ftg.i have tons of downrigger balls, and also tons of 1 to 3 lb balls and molds for them all, plus smaller sizes as well.
    Sometimes up North, we go right off of the bottom.

pete j

Mar 17, 2012
    lompoc ca usa
    Name
    pete
    Boat
    Slayliner
    Thanks for the info you are putting out on salmon fishing . That's some good stuff and the wind plus huge swells are suppose to be all next week :(
    How far from ball do you run the release clip cause I have never heard of putting the flasher in between that but it sounds like a very good idea

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    Thanks for the info you are putting out on salmon fishing . That's some good stuff and the wind plus huge swells are suppose to be all next week :(
    How far from ball do you run the release clip cause I have never heard of putting the flasher in between that but it sounds like a very good idea
    i clip one release about 5 in above ball, the i clip the next about 10 ft above. 2 lines per downrigger. i have the 1116s. the reason i put the flasher in between the clips is when its on the line its keeps it from popping off. when the flasher is in the pole line, it puts alot of pull on it and sometimes pops off. also when your reeling in a line with flasher, it is harder to reel in. feels like a fish. so when mine pops off, i know its a fish that pulled it off. been doing mine like that for years. other than fish its going to be kelp.

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    Thanks for the info and I will be giving that a try but no swivels in there? That sure seems like it would knot up fast
    it has swivels at both ends of the flasher. comes that way. look closer.
    Thanks for the info and I will be giving that a try but no swivels in there? That sure seems like it would knot up fast
    hard to see but they are there.

Reactions: pete j