Saint Thomas US VI

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Gabe Coughran, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Gabe

Gabe Newbie

Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:
    None
    We are planning a trip to Saint Thomas US Virgin Islands in September, does anyone have any experience or advice. I have done some searching on the internet and they want you to rent the whole boat. That would be ok is you had 6-8 people which is what the boat holds, but it will just be me fishing.

2. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Hi Gabe, I lived there for 11 years, I can help you. Feel free to PM me if you want to. I left in Y2K so some things may have changed but the basics are likely still the same. You can rent small center consoles or get a split charter, or better yet find out if the VI Game Fishing Club still has open house nights on Fridays. I was very involved with the club, we have an awesome clubhouse in Red Hook and every Friday night it was open to members and non members alike. I had a boat and if I needed anglers I could easily find someone at the club. People looking for a ride also go there. Find out if Neptune Fishing Supply is still there (also Red Hook) right across the street from the club. Stewart Loveland owned it, brother of Jimmy Loveland, one of the key players in developing sport fishing in the VI. You can probably get a hookup (pun intended) just by hanging out at the shop.
    Unless you are into spending big bucks chasing marlin you will probably fish the South Drop for tuna (typically blackfin and yellowfin), dolfin (dorado) and wahoo. In the flat before the drop you can catch king mackeral and barracuda if you want. There are also plenty of cero mackeral, bonita and little tunny to keep you entertained. Winter is prime wahoo time usually heating up in November but they are there year round and in September that is what I'd be chasing. It's all trolling, at least when I was there. There was no live bait fishery so it's very different from So Cal.
    I'm sure there is a tournament in Sept, possibly the Offshore Four, check the VIGFC website. Boats will be needing anglers if it's when you are there.
    If you go to the club and meet a guy named Harry with a Wellcraft 248 that is my old boat!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Baitless likes this.
  3. Gabe

Gabe Newbie

Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:
    None
    Thank you very much.

4. Hefe'

Hefe' Live2Fish

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Not now
    Will be there is late May and have 4 guys for fishing. Let me know what your timeline is.

5. Lundalakan

Lundalakan Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    Lund alaskan
    I winged it on bareboat sailboat charters we did in years past. Sailfish and barracuda on the troll. Snappers and such on reefs. Bonefish on flats west side of anegada island. Sorry....no info on charters and big game

6. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    [QUOTE="Sailfish and barracuda on the troll. Sorry....no info on charters and big game[/QUOTE]
    Wow, fished there 11 years and never saw nor heard of a sail, you sure those weren't white Marlin ? ;)

7. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Late May like Memorial Day weekend? The club used to have an Anagada tournament, fish over on Saturday, stay at Anagada Reef, fish back on Monday. I'll bet they still do it. Aside from bonefishing there is the most awesome snorkeling and pink sand beach, damn I miss that island !

8. Lundalakan

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    Lund alaskan
    Wow, fished there 11 years and never saw nor heard of a sail, you sure those weren't white Marlin ? ;)[/QUOTE]
    Sure looked like a sail, dorsal like a sail. Small.....4'. About 10 miles north of Tortola

9. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Entirely possible, just rare in my time there. Thought you were implying lots of them which is why I questioned it. There were smallish whites we used to hook as "incidental by catch" when trolling D;

10. Lundalakan

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    Lund alaskan
    No worries. Beautiful place. If I didn't live in SoCal I'd live in the AVI !