Safe to go out Sunday?

Discussion in 'Southern CA Private Boater Inshore Trip Planning' started by Busterman343, May 27, 2011.

1. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Dont trust the predictions,they arent always accurate,if saturdays prediction is correct it will be nasty in a small boat.I cant tell you how many times i have planned to go out because of fair weather predicted and i end up fishing the bay or just putting the boat back on the trailer.

2. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    This weekend?

6 hours for round of golf or 6 hours to cross...

I'm going carp fishing.

3. pescadorable

pescadorable Member

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    Cabo 216 The Fish Taco
    Going dirt bike riding sat and sun and bbq mon thats the plan so far wanted to fish bad.

4. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    I'm seeing some info here that is not entirely correct. Large swell height does not necessarily mean it's going to be a nasty day on the water. It's the wind that is much more your enemy than swell height in most situations.... but combine a large swell height with a good blow = no bueno!

If there is little to no wind, you can easily take a 18' boat out in a large swell and many times hardly even notice that the surf is pumping inside.

With all that said, learn your boat and capabilities, and trust your gut feelings..... if something is telling you not to go, or to head back in, do it! There are plenty of good days to fish.

The unknown fisherman:p:

5. fishstomp

fishstomp Picaroon

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    18' Seaswirl
    "Vessel 'NoZilla' this is the U.S. Coast Guard, we are responding to your mayday............any ships in the vicinity be advised we have a person in the water on a PFD that looks to be a non-USCG approved blow up doll"

6. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    EVERYBODY is new at some point.....nothing to be ashamed of.......but if you have to ask, its probably not a good time to be "early in the learning curve".

My $.02, from what I have seen of the forecasts, is this is a weekend to kick it and watch TV.

of course, that means that several boats will kick ass on a variety of species.....

7. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"

INNER WATERS FROM POINT MUGU TO SAN MATEO PT. CA INCLUDING SANTA CATALINA AND SANTA BARBARA ISLANDS- 226 PM PDT FRI MAY 27 2011 ...

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT... ...GALE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE SUNDAY NIGHT... .TONIGHT...W PORTION...W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS TO 35 KT. E PORTION...W WINDS 15 TO 20 KT BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS. COMBINED SEAS 6 TO 9 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 7 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT. .

SAT...W PORTION...W WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. POSSIBLE FREQUENT GUSTS TO 35 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. E PORTION...VARIABLE WINDS 10 KT OR LESS BECOMING W 15 TO 25 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 7 TO 9 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 7 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING. .

SAT NIGHT...W WINDS 25 TO 30 KT WITH POSSIBLE FREQUENT GUSTS TO 40 KT. COMBINED SEAS 7 TO 9 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 7 SECONDS. .

SUN...W WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. POSSIBLE FREQUENT GUSTS TO 40 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 7 TO 9 FT. .

SUN NIGHT...W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH POSSIBLE FREQUENT GUSTS TO 40 KT...BECOMING NW 15 TO 20 KT WITH FREQUENT GUSTS TO 30 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. COMBINED SEAS 7 TO 9 FT. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT.

8. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    LOL... I know dat Brando. My comments were pointed at some info given by a few regarding not taking a boat out during a large swell.... just trying to clarify to some that a large swell does not always mean a bad day on the water, sometimes you hardly even notice the swell..... it's the wind that screws things up, and yes the forecast calls for wind..... so yeah, it's pretty safe to say that the next few days probably wouldn't be worth heading outside ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:

9. GrabBass1

GrabBass1 GrabBass1

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    2008 176 Sea Pro Center Console - GrabBass II
    I have an 18 foot CC and would not go out in anything bigger than 3 feet if the wind is blowing. Can be dangerous but really it just plain sucks getting blown around and beaten up. I went several years ago when there was a small craft advisory like the one in effect this weeken ( through Sunday evening I think) and I was real sorry for doing so. Just got the crap beat outta me and was real sore the next day.
    If you just have to get out on the water maybe go the Mission Bay and stay inside for some bass and maybe a halibut. The wind will be an issue but at least you will not get bounced around too much.
    Coast Guard safety course is a great idea for anyone but a new boater especially as you will learn a great deal about being safe on the water and we will all appreciate your newfound knowledge.

10. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak
    If anything just fish in the bays, being on the water with the wind should give you some insight and practice for the future. If its crap just put the boat back on the trailer. By no means would I venture outside of the bay tomorrow. Sometimes a man has to know his limitations. Keep in mind that if you get in trouble someone would have to try to get to you and that could be just as bad
    for the person trying to help.

11. flytyer

flytyer Newbie

Name:
    Allen
    Boat:
    Triumph 170CC/Yamaha
    I would agree that 5-6 foot swell with long periods and light winds isn't real bad in my 17 footer. That said, there is NO WAY I would leave the bays this weekend. Hell, the crowds alone on a 3-day W/E keep me at home.

Lots more good weather coming, and not long away. FWIW, it SNOWED just above Bishop last night. More of that Global Warming for ya!

12. Unicorns r rad!

Unicorns r rad! Newbie

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    cc
    a buddy and i went out yesterday on an 18 ft center console... got pretty beat up out there fishing was good though. i agree with everyone else... stay home.

13. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    good day to mow the lawn between races; not a good day for the neighbors south of you/me to wash their car. :rofl: :_smack_: