safe long soaks

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by rckymar10, May 5, 2017.

1. freespool9

freespool9 Newbie

Name:
    Kendall
    Boat:
    NA
    would like some input from the more experienced anglers here. this is coming from the context of fishing for the 50-120# bluefin in southern cal waters with sliding-egg or rubberband-torpedo sinkers.

i'm on my second season with my avet LX 2sp. last season i spooled it completely full with 500M 65# braid. incidentally it fits the spool exactly! 500M is ~1640ft (or rather ~1/3 mile).

what is comfortable amount of the spool one lets out on a looooong soak? is it even effective to have line out that far out?? i am curious how comfortable people are with their gear.

2. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    I take a permanent marker and mark the braid every 25 feet,a mark about 1 foot long, then count those as the go out to know approximately how deep i am. even on a 45* angle. But first i use a measuring wheel and mark my street with a dot of paint every 25 feet to make it easy when its already on the reel.

3. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    If he stops swimming, he is done. If you can't tell if he is swimming or not anymore, you are done. Either case, wind em in.

widgeon likes this.
  4. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    True unless your talking about fishing squid. Then just like WSB a nice looking fresh dead works just as well IMHO.

5. freespool9

freespool9 Newbie

Name:
    Kendall
    Boat:
    NA
    i should have been a bit more clear. my curiosity is speaking more in the context of squid or a strong-enough current to take your line out.

last season's bluefin run, at tanner, had every boat using squid on a torpedo or egg-sinker. the captain advises to only fish with the current. that current will take as much of your line you will let it. i had my avet LX down to 10% spool which is probably not good if i gotten bit. i'm curious what percentage of spool or length of line are people comfortable letting out? need some margin to let that fish run.

also, some of the typical problems with letting out so much line:
    * the likelihood of tangles with another angler; this is especially true if somebody gets hooked up with a shark.
    * the retrieve back would be tiring, also you cannot retrieve too fast as that might twist/coil your line

6. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    I have a LX Raptor.When I start approaching the half way point it's time to turn the handle.

rckymar10 likes this.
  7. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    Certainly 10% would make me VERY uncomfortable. I would agree with Mullet - around 50% or so on that.reel On the days I spent @ Tanner last fall if I started getting concerned about having too much line out I would slow the line I was feeding out WAY down. Note that most days I was doing so there was not much current and I was able to keep the bait down at what I felt was a good depth using an 1 ounce slider. Even though it was not a glow sinker (as everyone swore I needed) I had as many bites as anyone.
    On a number of trips I noticed that I had my bait out further than most. On the retrive I would wind in SLOW. Just like pulling in a nose hooked sardine that was swimming well - kind of a slow troll deal.

8. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    When fishing on the "long soak", weighted line, you can get away with heavier line, due to the depth of your bait. l have both the LX 2speed and the LX raptor. IMO, the LX is a 40lb reel, 50max! If you are comfortable with that or on a private boat, go for it. l'd hate to loose a fish of a lifetime due to light gear when heavier has little or no disadvantage at that depth. Remember, bft were caught last season over 200#. Your call, and yes, the long soak is worth it.

nefarious235 likes this.
  9. freespool9

freespool9 Newbie

Name:
    Kendall
    Boat:
    NA
    great great feedback everybody!

10. mik911

mik911 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    9'6" longboard
    Out at Desperation Reef last year, I got bit (see my avatar) on squid loong soak with only 15-20% of line left. If I had reeled in bait when I got down to 50%, I wouldn't have gotten bit. So no right answer.

rckymar10 likes this.