TunaHore

World Champion Boat Ho
Jun 5, 2012
Island
Name
Tuck
Boat
Carolina Dory
Wow - terrible reading this stuff. Hope the best for all involved.

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Can't imagine the panic and terror that ensued with everyone on that boat...just terrible.

strackle99

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Horrible news.

My thoughts go out to those involved.

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
Jul 18, 2010
Lacey, Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
Parker 2820
Sad to hear, goes to show you, never take your guard down. I havent heard much about it except that the CPT had 20 years at the helm and some nasty swells hit her.

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Very sad indeed. I just saw on the news they were saying there were no life jackets on the vessel. How is that possible? I am very doubtful of this report.
Edit
Ok it was a bad report there were life jackets on board but they claim transport Canada advised against passengers wearing them because of the enclosed cabin areas.

Last edited:

dota9

Mar 18, 2012
fontana
Name
long
Boat
outcast prowler
Very sad indeed. I just saw on the news they were saying there were no life jackets on the vessel. How is that possible? I am very doubtful of this report.
Edit
Ok it was a bad report there were life jackets on board but they claim transport Canada advised against passengers wearing them because of the enclosed cabin areas.

What I read was there is life jackets floating around but ppl weren't

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Did not capsize, they think the hull was breached or it started taking water at the stern.

Titan

Jun 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Kamen
Boat
Dinghy
TOFINO, British Columbia (AP) — Passengers were crowded on the left side of the top deck of a whale-watching boat when it was struck by a wave from the right side, causing the vessel to roll over and capsize, sending 27 people into the water off V...

Associated Press - Tuesday, October 27, 2015

http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBmvgrh?a=1&m=EN-US

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
really sad to see this happen..

fishbadger

Apr 6, 2012
WA
Name
fishbadger
Boat
.Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
I went on a trip on that boat 4 years ago with my fam. I think I might know where this happened, a common tour stop near a mostly-submerged rock pile off the kelp beds well north of Tofino. When we went they stopped the boat and twirled it broadside there to show the passengers some stellars, if memory serves me right. My wife didn't like that spot the way the swell and currents played like a washing machine, and that was a pretty tame day. I wonder if it was that spot. Tragic.

fb

TonyG

Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
Wow. Shitty deal all around. Humbling.

I have spent a bit of time in tofino and other places in the vicinity of shallow water, rogue waves etc. This boat looks like a tough one to keep calm in tricky waves.

Hell, it looks unstable in those calm waters to me. Looks to be listing starboard in tiny swell, zero wind.

You can imagine folks rush to the whale side on the viewing deck. 15' off the water, that's not going to help.

Odd boat.

Reactions: Cap'n Coldeye

MarkFromSea

Piscatologist
Jun 10, 2012
Name
Mark
Boat
"Solo"
A few days ago a Canadian news report stated only one commercial fisherman actually saw one of 3 flares deployed. He hailed other boats in as he motored that way. Just one guy that happened to turn his head at the right moment while working on his gear, is how it was written. This is not that news report but worthy to pass along. The cause is still not being reported.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/tofino-whale-watch-boat-sinking-1.3289990