c-nut

Fishing addict
Mar 2, 2003
Murrieta, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
TBA
Hey, anyone know what I can target for a couple of my grand kids On the Sac river launching in/near Sacramento City? Nothing to serious. son inlaw as a pleasure boat. I’m use to ocen fishing in San Diego but grew up bass, Trout, crappy and blue gill fishing in WI.
thanks in advance

Upvote 0

ChuyDawg

Tight Lines
May 13, 2004
Southern California
Name
Chuy
Boat
Wish I had One
You can target Salmon, Shad and Trout.
Good Luck. Troll with a swimbait or if sitting cast some salmon eggs as bait.

Upvote 0

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
Nov 18, 2008
Placerville, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
19' Harbercraft
If you launching downtown you will launching at Discovery park, it is the confluence of the Sacramento and American Rivers. Salmon are there now but dark still fun to catch, not much trout or shad yet in this area. You will also have a chance at striped bass and catfish. Best chance for Salmon would be jigging (2oz or so for reaction bite) Striped bass and catfish would be by bait at anchor mostly in this area. If you have chum, old fish etc cut up and make a chum line or better yet put in a netted bag and lower on line (put a couple of rocks in it to get it to the bottom). If you don't half chum buy some something stinky like frozen mackerel and cut it up......you can also use this as bait.

I have never had luck on the salmon eggs in that area, but other baits like mackerel, pile worms, shrimp, scented plastic grubs etc.

If you looking for eats that day, close by is Crawdad's (up river on the Sacramento about 1 mile) It does have guest docking and plenty of outdoor seating for the Covid thing.

Have fun with the kids!

Reactions: fishin_kid
Upvote 0

c-nut

Fishing addict
Mar 2, 2003
Murrieta, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
TBA
Doubletroublell when you say “Salmon are there now but dark still fun to catch”
Does that mean the meat and not good table fare? To early to catch and keep or to late?
Pretty sure we will just catch and release. Going up on labor day weekend, and fishing is just something I wanted to do with the kids. It’s a go fast boat so not a fishing boat at all.
Next time I come up I’d like to rent a Small boat at try some of the local lakes.

thanks in advance! Glenn

Upvote 0

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
northwest
Name
joe
Boat
none
There just ok smoked if I can step in, Sometimes it's just fun to fish the discovery park area and watch the craziness:) I've landed alot of Salmon right under the J street bridge, but I haven't fished the area for years. We also bagged a bunch right at the American Mouth, but get there early and anchor up. Use a diver and a sardine wrapped quickfish, 15 or 16 chartreuse and crome, You can get a fresh batch every now and then

Reactions: fishin_kid
Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Before trying chumming, check the regs. I thought you had to be a lot further downstream than Disco Park, to be legal to chum. Haven't been in the area for a long time so it may have changed but better safe than sorry.
    Also check the regs to be sure your jigging spoons have the right size hooks if targeting Salmon.

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    I’m in Folsom next 4 days, have fly gear. Anyone have any pointers on the American below Lake Natoma? Staying right at the lake.

Upvote 0