Susana

Almost A Member
Jul 23, 2006
San Quintin
Name
Susan Duggan
Boat
21 Seaswirl
Rick (Kelly's Twins) and friends John and J.T. had a quality day on the water today. I'll let Rick jump in with the details of their day later. I just had the camera, Capt. Juan actually took the pictures. Rick said John got the BSB in the bay and that Rick lost one that was even bigger than this one. They were all smiles! Check out the sheepshead that John got today also.
IMG_4935.JPG
IMG_4939.JPG
IMG_4941.JPG

Reactions: flynDiane and TonyC
Upvote 0

Lorenzo

Mar 15, 2006
San Quintin
Name
Lorenzo
Boat
Proline 24 / Bayliner 20
Way to go guys. Rick and wife Kelly are the newbies in Campo Lorenzo and seem to be taking all of us to school on catching fish! Too bad BSB doesn't work in jars - enjoy your fillets.

Upvote 0

somewhatfit

Pajaro
Feb 24, 2012
Highland, ca, usa
Name
mark rojas
Boat
21' Wellcraft "Pajaro"
Bring me up to date please, I thought that Black sea bass was to be returned to the ocean. Are they legal to keep? endangered? Just trying learn the rules.
Thanks

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Bring me up to date please, I thought that Black sea bass was to be returned to the ocean. Are they legal to keep? endangered? Just trying learn the rules.
Thanks
it,s ok in mexico to keep them, but it,s not legal to bring them back to the state,s,

Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
it,s ok in mexico to keep them, but it,s not legal to bring them back to the state,s,

They are legal to bring back, 2 per Angler, just fill out the declaration form.

Just don't bring back a Cowcod, oh no sir, or they will throw you in jail and redistribute all your wealth.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Legal to catch in Mexico and Legal to bring back to the states with a declaration.

Many of the commercial operations in baja will not buy them anymore so there are a lot of them around.

If you want to take a smaller one to eat, I wouldn't hesitate.

The big ones are kind of gross.

Looks delicious....

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
Thanks

Illegal to take in US waters, down south they keep everything. Something that big should be Let Go meat would probably be tough

Reactions: ol' salt
Upvote 0

fullclip

May 15, 2008
Upland ca
Name
jeremy
Boat
Mushroom 26 prosport
Illegal to take in US waters, down south they keep everything. Something that big should be Let Go meat would probably be tough

A 200lb yellowfin is ok to keep but a 150 lb black seabass has to be let go. Seeing your a member of the 200lb club. Worry more about what you let go and less about others. If he is not breaking the law no need for a guilt trip. You dont know what the meat taste like since you throw them all back right.

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
A 200lb yellowfin is ok to keep but a 150 lb black seabass has to be let go. Seeing your a member of the 200lb club. Worry more about what you let go and less about others. If he is not breaking the law no need for a guilt trip. You dont know what the meat taste like since you throw them all back right.

There are Way more Tuna in the Ocean than their are Big Black Seabass anymore even alot of Sportboats that fish Mexican waters dont keep them.

I never said he was breaking a law I clearly stated Illegal to keep in US water and Legal in Mexico re-read the post by the way I dont eat fish

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I believe if you have your declaration
form in order you can bring the fish back to the States......
not legal, just like you can,t bring a
There are Way more Tuna in the Ocean than their are Big Black Seabass anymore even alot of Sportboats that fish Mexican waters dont keep them.

I never said he was breaking a law I clearly stated Illegal to keep in US water and Legal in Mexico re-read the post by the way I dont eat fish
150 lb,s a under are great eating, let the bigger one,s go.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express

Like others have said, that's not big for a black seabass. That's about the perfect eating size (under 150 pounds). I kept one in mexico about 14 years ago that same size and it was delicious. Not one ounce of that fish went to waste, including the cheek and collar meat, which was out of this world. We released all the larger fish up to 400 pounds.

The blacks are really bouncing back strong in the U.S. I don't know if they will ever lift the ban, but eventually selling individual tags that would allow you to take one fish of a certain slot limit size would be an interesting idea. They could do a lottery on the tags, or just let supply and demand take care of it. Why not price the tags at $2,000 each and see where it goes. Money can go to HUBBS.

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
I know we have tons at Catalina and other areas, Tag thing would be good idea with money going to a place like Hubbs. Its just that it takes a long time to Grow to that size these fish have some years on them. Its like catching big Calicos lets take some pics and Release them just my 2 cents.

Reactions: ol' salt
Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Just for your information....

The DFW publishes a regulation book every year.

Some of you guys should read it first before posting.

28.10. GIANT (BLACK) SEA BASS.
(a) May not be taken off California. All fish taken incidental to other fishing activity shall be immediately
returned to the water where taken.
(b) Limit: Two per angler per trip when fishing south of United States-Mexico border. A valid fishing
permit or license from the Mexican government constitutes proof that fish were taken legally.

By the way, BSB is the best fish in the ocean, blows croaker (WSB) out of the water! I've eaten my share.

Upvote 0

Scott Albro

Baja Ca Life
May 15, 2011
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Royal Polaris
If you dont know, dont talk shit! I caught a #165 BSB at the Ridge on the Royal Polaris. It was great meat and the collar tasted like scallops. I caught 3 that trip couldn't revive the big one, Arron swam it down 20' 3 times no luck,my win lots of meat and a larger bill at Fisherman Processing!

Upvote 0

Scott Albro

Baja Ca Life
May 15, 2011
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Royal Polaris
70# mono big circle hook with 2 # whitefish for bail with slits cut in side almost instant bendo ,when your on top of where they live . Crank hard get it off the bottom and out of its home and its just alot of weight after that not a big fight ,but dead weight!

Upvote 0

fullclip

May 15, 2008
Upland ca
Name
jeremy
Boat
Mushroom 26 prosport

So what your saying is you kill fish and don't even eat them but Rick shouldn't keep a black sea bass he catches in mexico and actually eats because You say the numbers are really low on the black sea bass however I don't think an accurate survey has been done. Obviously Mexico doesn't think there that scarce because the limit is 5 on blacks and only 2 on dorado, wahoo or bill fish. I say you kill fish because there is a picture of a fish next to you and it says you are a member of the 200 LB club. I can't believe you get on someones case for killing a fish he will eat when you kill fish you don't eat. Pathetic

Reactions: slydawg
Upvote 0

Kellys twins

Playing with the twins
Aug 9, 2011
Parker AZ, Campo de Lorenzo, San Quintin, BCN Mex.
Name
Rick Woodley
Boat
Kellys twins 23' Donzi
O.K i made it back to the states, here is what it is, it is a 100 pounder, none of the meat went to waste. We had a great trip a little windy but still caught a shit load of fish. Bait was easy to catch at the Island. the YT are still around we caught six, with a lot of lingcod and reds. We hooked 7 black seabass and only landed one, i fought one for over a hour before it broke off 40#, we were fishing Halibut but the black seabass were there, we did catch one Halibut. Fishing is great down there, but not many fishermen. Oh ya the black seabass is great to eat. SORRY SOME THINK IT SHOULD HAVE GONE BACK BUT THAT IS TOUGH SHIT!!!!!!! THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT FULLCLIP WILL SEE YOU DOWN THERE THIS SUMMER. Thanks sue for the pictures and post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lboddy

Almost A Member
Mar 13, 2010
San Quintin Baja Mexico
Name
Lanny Boddy
Boat
sold it
Hi Neighbor. I have been in CAMPO lORENZO for almost 20 YEARS. I caught one Black about 10 years ago, it was a 20 lb baby and died coming up. I ate it and it was OK. I really don't think they should be kept if they can be released, but that is just my opinion. Congradulations on your catch. I am coming down this week end, Maybe I will stop buy for some pointers.
Good fishing---Lanny

Upvote 0