Rusty trailor bits

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Charts
    Boat
    arima sea explorer 16
    Got some rusty bolts on my galvanized trailer. On both sides, these bolts connect the rear of the trailer frame to the sides of the trailer frame; two on each side.

Are these the kind that you can remove one at a time with the boat on the trailer in the driveway? Or when you take one out, the frame shifts, and you never get the new one in and you're now in a pickle?

Also, same question for the u-bolts near the springs...and the springs themselves, I suppose.

Last question. For the wheels, can I just try to knock off loose paint, grind the rust out, and paint with some white auto touch-up paint?

IMG-4020.jpg
    IMG-4022.jpg

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
    May 24, 2006
    SLO Co.
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    Yes, Yes, & Yes...

That really isn't that bad you should see the one I just did...I think you could get away with a wire wheel job and some paint and get a few more years out of it...my .02 cents.

I had to grind the bolts off because they were frozen solid...

Yes, you will be fine to change them 1 at a time If your feeling it...GL

Reactions: goatram and Charts
    Upvote 0

Russo

Almost A Member
    Aug 14, 2017
    Wildomar
    Name
    Jon Russo
    Boat
    If that's what you want to call it
    I would agree with the one at a time theory. Just incase keep an alignment bar hand so if the need some adjustment you can get them back together.

Reactions: Charts
    Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Your U Bolts, If you loosen one at a time will pull the top plate to the side that is still tight. Making it hard to put the new one in and tighten it. As to them being bad. No the galvanized coating has worn off. There is no pitting shown in the picture. Wire brush it and use a cold Galvanizing pain-t. Jack it up and replace them together. Yow should not mess up the trailer axle alignment. The Springs have a bolt holding the stack together. The Axle and Top Plate have locating holes to keep everything proper and securely aligned.

The cross bolts Can be removed and replaced one at a time.

But then again being a Kali Boy you will say I'm So Wrong as two boys playing Space Docking!

Urban Dictionary Will give you the meaning if you don't know.

goat aka washi googan fucking helping the smart southern boys out. Bye! Bye!

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    I wish my trailer looked that good. I have an axle and leaf springs waiting to be installed.

There is some galvanizing solder you can buy. You just heat it up, melt it on and clean up the excess for any parts you need to re galvanize. Otherwise the spray paint works alright.

Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 19, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    Mike_I
    Boat
    Cabo 216 First Love
    I agree, the rust isn't that bad. If you're going to paint anything check this stuff out first. I've used it on my trailer and very happy with it.

Two warnings if you use it. Wear gloves and googles. It's a bitch to get off of your skin and impossible to get off of sunglasses.

Upvote 0

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 7, 2008
    NorCal
    Name
    jay
    Boat
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
    Every couple years I'll wire brush the spot rust spray with a conversion coating (Ospho) and paint with rustoleum galvanize paint. It keeps the rust away for at least 4 years so far.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I wish my trailer looked that good. I have an axle and leaf springs waiting to be installed.

There is some galvanizing solder you can buy. You just heat it up, melt it on and clean up the excess for any parts you need to re galvanize. Otherwise the spray paint works alright.
    Yup, shit mine looks like that a week after a repair.

Upvote 0

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Charts
    Boat
    arima sea explorer 16
    Thanks everyone! What about the wheels? Just knock off the flaking paint/rust and use auto touch up paint to replace the white?

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Thanks everyone! What about the wheels? Just knock off the flaking paint/rust and use auto touch up paint to replace the white?
    My shit is super crusty Its almost unavoidable and part of the game, Grease your lugs the rest is just surface rust dont sweat it!

Reactions: Charts and goatram
    Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Use Fluid Film (Home Depot, Lowes next to the other sprays). It is great stuff and only needs to be applied twice a year. I have a trailer that is 5 years old here in San Diego that has no rust on it and another boat trailer in San Quintin with minimal maintaince due to a lack of abundant fresh water. The repairs I have made on the San Quintin trailer look brand new, even though they are 4 years old. Great stuff!

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Several ways you can go. When I replace rusted galvanized parts I change them all to stainless

I usually don't mess around, I get a grinder and a cutting wheel and start cutting

Upvote 0