Running heavy mono on a 50wide

Deadstockpomp

Feb 15, 2020
Staten Island
Name
Frank
Boat
Grady white explorer
Anyone running 130lb top shot on their 50s? I have accurate atd 50wides and a 50 topless with 130lb hollow core backing and like the idea of the 130lb pound mono for putting some good heat on big fish. I just redid my reels from 100 lb topshot. I recently winched in a 620 pound bluefin on my buddies penn 80wide with braid and 130 mono and I just liked the feel of cranking and pulling on the 130. Now I’m not saying I’m going to primarily target giants with my 50s but I think that can be a good alternative for heavy shark fishing and short baits close to the boat. I also sized up my 30s from 100/80 to 100/100. Some guys are saying I’m out of my mind and some guys are saying that’s a go to for big fish. All mono is momoi diamond. Just wanted to get some more opinions.

Phil mckracken

Almost A Member
  • Jun 4, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    Steveooo
    Boat
    None
    My 50 is rigged the same way. Although, I’m thinking of changing to wind on leaders. 130/200 or heavier mono.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    That's what 50's are made for. Just remember that you will need to change it, the stretching that a big fish puts on it will weaken it. Also it is vulnerable to damage from sunlight as you troll or leave it racked but ready. All of my topshots are twenty-five yards, I used to do longer but it got too expensive and I haven't seen any harm in going shorter.

Upvote 0

Deadstockpomp

Feb 15, 2020
    Staten Island
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    Grady white explorer
    That's what 50's are made for. Just remember that you will need to change it, the stretching that a big fish puts on it will weaken it. Also it is vulnerable to damage from sunlight as you troll or leave it racked but ready. All of my topshots are twenty-five yards, I used to do longer but it got too expensive and I haven't seen any harm in going shorter.
    I have 130 yards of 130 on my wides and 100 yards of 130 on my 50, I’m wondering now how much 130 hollow core I have roughly, I can’t remember off the top of my head.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Anyone running 130lb top shot on their 50s? I have accurate atd 50wides and a 50 topless with 130lb hollow core backing and like the idea of the 130lb pound mono for putting some good heat on big fish. I just redid my reels from 100 lb topshot. I recently winched in a 620 pound bluefin on my buddies penn 80wide with braid and 130 mono and I just liked the feel of cranking and pulling on the 130. Now I’m not saying I’m going to primarily target giants with my 50s but I think that can be a good alternative for heavy shark fishing and short baits close to the boat. I also sized up my 30s from 100/80 to 100/100. Some guys are saying I’m out of my mind and some guys are saying that’s a go to for big fish. All mono is momoi diamond. Just wanted to get some more opinions.
    Do it all the time. I run 500lb as my top shot for shark fishing.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    You should absolutely know how much line you have on your reels! I suggest that you take your reels to the best tackle store in your area and have them un-spooled and then re-spooled. And if the braid has taken several biggies, as the reels are un-spooled have the mono put on a separate holding spool, and the braid from the first reel put onto a holding spool, then wind the braid from the second reel onto the first reel so that the braid has been re-wound with the stressed top half now on the bottom layer of the reel. And I would buy new braid for the first reel and fill it up to where you can add twenty-five yards of the mono as a topshot, noting the total amount of line that you now have. Then after another couple of fish you can re-do the first reel and replace the old line on that one.

It used to be that braid was insanely expensive. It isn't now. We spend SO MUCH money going fishing, and get really stingy about spending money on hooks and line.

Upvote 0

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
    Azusa, CA
    Name
    Chris Lomax
    Boat
    none
    30W, and 50 should each hold about 600 yards of hollow #130. 50W is about 800 yards. I buy a 2500 yard spool of Jerry Brown hollow 130, and I can fill a 30SW, 2 50 Internationals, and a 50SW. All the reels are filled up pretty full, as I only use 15-25’ wind ons.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
    Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    100' of mono is a productive set up. Good stretch. Your knot to fluoro may be chunky....
    thats why a wind-on works so well, why? would I want my line to stretch? why do you think they invented fluorocarbon? no stretch

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    why? would I want my line to stretch? why do you think they invented fluorocarbon? no stretch
    Uhhh
    Fluoro stretches, but only one time.
    If fishing braid straight to fluoro the fluoro is likely stretched out and therefore weaker after the first big pressure put on it... in my case usually a snag....

It lacks the elasticity of mono.

People use fluoro primarily for invisibility.

Some also feel it has better "abrasion resistance ". To me that is opinion as opposed to quantified fact.

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
    Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    Uhhh
    Fluoro stretches, but only one time.
    If fishing braid straight to fluoro the fluoro is likely stretched out and therefore weaker after the first big pressure put on it... in my case usually a snag....

It lacks the elasticity of mono.

People use fluoro primarily for invisibility.

Some also feel it has better "abrasion resistance ". To me that is opinion as opposed to quantified fact.
    you must be getting your "facts" from some place no one else is.

Upvote 0

tclongbeach

Almost A Member
    Jun 25, 2004
    Long Beach ca
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    someone else's
    They invented fluoro to be less visible than mono. It is also more abrasion resistant than mono - so its better for chew through and for rubbing the fish (& tail wraps). Some folks like the stretch that mono provides when the fish is shaking their head. Mono stretch = less pulled hooks, less line breaks on the knot as the mono spread the tension better. Just my experience, YMMV.

I also fish straight top shots. It is very productive as well, but you will bear the brunt of the fish shaking his head more and hence, more pulled hooks.

Upvote 0