Runaway Ahis

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by guava patch, May 31, 2010.

1. guava patch

guava patch Newbie

Name:
    Will
    Boat:
    yours is probably better
    Lost two giant ahis this weekend. Headed out saterday on the eastside at 5am. Headed out and ran the thousand to LL, couple open schools along the way, had a rigger clip stick on a mahi so that the rigger bent all the way and was about 4 feet from touching the corner, fish got a way. School didn't want to bite bait or lure, headed to LL, lots of small aku and ravenous aku birds. One bird pinned itself on our bait hook square in the chest, flew like a kite on our 14/0, unhooked at the boat and the bird flew away in good shape. Funny seeing a flying bird on a line like that, not dragging through the water like a squawking wet towel. Left LL and shortly after took a big strike down the center on a blueberry straight runner with icy blue/pink. Fought the fish for 30 minutes came to the boat, big ahi estimated over 200. Fish did a lot of side trips, fought like a champ, and refused to come up and give a shot at gaff. At idle speed this fish was too big for me to leader to the surface and so the fish stayed planing just under the boat. Big fish like this one can really bring on a debilitating sickle fever that will make you throw reason and patience to the wind, a crews underwater gaff attempt ended in a lost gaff and a broken leader. Apparently ahis don't like to be poked. Went on to X area, had lots of birds and open schools in a rough, current convergence zone, but only 2 knockdowns and no landed fish. Got to the ramp at 5pm with only a fish story.

Day 2 Sunday, left honolulu harbor early, found ourselves on the 2000 outside of barbers point about 20 minutes after sun up. Few birds, rough conditions, deep water where the giants roam. Trolled for 20 minutes, bang rigger starts screaming out line from the 14/0. Black and silver with purple underskirt straight runner. Tuna, I get really excited at the chance to get my first ahi of the year, and the first ahi ever for a couple of the crew. Ahi straight down, boat in neutral, leader man pulls it up from the depths quick. Its on the surface circling and oh shit its way bigger than we all thought! Not really sure what happened, I actually kind of blacked out during the whole thing, but it ended with a sick feeling, a broken mainline and the gaff in my hands. I blew it on this one, couldn't seal the deal, gaff bounced off first try and stuck in the shoulder second attempt but from what I can recall the fish rolled off the gaff and showered everyone on the rail with cold bitter salt water. Ouch, rough weekend, I am in the middle of a long going drought, a gaffers slump you might call it, and the fish on sunday confirmed that the slump continues. Picked up 2 mahi on the thousand on the way in, this helped a little, nothing on the ono run. Can't wait to go chase 'em again, next time will be different, or I might give it all up and stick to oama fishing! Better luck to all, and I hope you won't join me in the catch and release club!:hali_olutta:

2. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    whoa man... well... at least you see'n em! I no can see em' yet... Go to Universal Manufacturer and talk to greg... buy his harpoon he makes... SOLID i tell ya... you stick the fish with that, he no go hemo..

3. force21

force21 Oldie

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    21 Force JAYMIELYN
    Hard luck Will, you get da next one! You need a custom gaff?

Attached Files:

4. BNaks

BNaks Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Baby Hawk
    Hard luck man, you'll get um next time. At least got the stories...

5. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    That hurt just reading bro, atleast you have everything dialed in except the end game, most of us are just out burning fossil fuels and bud light!!!

6. cheehuli

cheehuli Newbie

Name:
    Chase
    Boat:
    24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
    Ohhhh the agony! Like others said.....at least you stay hookin em! I know there are some more out there wit your name on em. Garans goin stuck em nex time. Keep goin bu!

7. Akemi

Akemi Newbie

Name:
    derek
    Boat:
    26 saltwater,30 knife
    hope you get another chance soon.reading your story made me want to drink a case of beers,ouch!!!

8. MidwayJ

MidwayJ Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    P-14 "Debbie Ann"
    I was on the boat for both of these atrocities. I believe this clip sums up the weekend best:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1fuDDqU6n4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1fuDDqU6n4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

9. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    I feel your pain. I've lost way too many fish at gaff. Nowadays, I'll bang stick anything big with a 44 Magnum blank to slow it down before putting a hook into it.

You guys are really getting the bites. You just have a small kine bad luck streak going. You'll get the next one, garans.

10. oldmanadam

oldmanadam Newbie

Name:
    adam lahne
    Boat:
    22' fiberform "amateur hour"
    you just need a good luck charm. I happen to know one. He's kinda fat and drinks a lot of beer, and looks an awful lot like me

11. kaimikai

kaimikai Newbie

Name:
    hank
    Boat:
    my boat is gone....sigh...
    sorry too hear the bad luck....i started fishing when i was 14 and i was so nervous when my first ahi season came up....i was worried that i would not be able to handle these awesome fish. my old hawaiian fisherman neighbor...told me just one thing.....its just another fish.....its no different except that it is bigger....those words stuck in my head and our first strike with ahi i handlined,leadered stuck it and pulled it in the boat....then got another on the way home....but as i was leadering,i was saying to myself....its just another fish,its just another fish,its just another fish.......it worked for me....i love hooking tuna and i never get nervous anymore.......cuz its just another fish!

12. beauchat

beauchat Newbie

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    17 Radon
    Sounds like me when I have a nice buck in my crosshairs, meean buck fever. Youll get em sooner or later. At leat u got the hook up part down pat.

13. MidwayJ

MidwayJ Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    P-14 "Debbie Ann"
    Super funny, our first was the same way.... took us 6 years of intermittent chasing before we got our first ahi(s). Picked up a 160 in the channel, and were on cloud 9 after trying so long. Pounding beers on the ride home, things couldn't get any better... and then the 130 on the center starts dumping. 45 minutes later, and we had a 215 g+g on the boat that made our first ahi look pinner. The fish we lost on Saturday looked to be about the same size.

Mahalos on behalf of myself and GP for all the words of encouragement, rest assured we'll be back out there seeking redemption at the earliest possible opportunity! :Rambo_Throwing_Kniv

14. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Sounds like a double heartbreaker, at least they are here, just got to stick another one. The cool hand luke clip is classic!!!!

15. aj1976

aj1976 Newbie

Name:
    aj
    Boat:
    23 Seacraft
    Go back out there and get some REDEMPTION!!!

16. bastandridge

bastandridge Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    ZODIAC
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA