Run Mercruiser W/ Outdrive in Tank

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by willit float, Sep 3, 2012.

1. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    20' Livesay Offshore Utility
    Finally getting the outdrive back together...very excited....long time coming.
    My plan is "with the prop off" then test run with the outdrive in a water Tank "Not with the Rubber Ears and garden hose.
    I want to give it a solid run test correctly flowing additional water into the tank to aid in cooling and flushing. I want to make sure the cooling system and out drive gets a good inspection before hitting the water later on.

Seems like running it without the prop should be OK....or...?

If any Mercruiser experts are on here my questions are:::
    1. Does the prop act as a spacer to hold the shaft out ? Seems to me it does not.
    2. Would there be any problems with shifting it into forward or reverse in the test tank without the prop ?

I have seen guys try this before in tanks with the props on and it threw out all the water... One guys prop even hit the side of the tank... I was amazed that someone would even try it in a tank with the prop on.

2. Fun Times

Fun Times Newbie

Name:
    Fun times
    Boat:
    none
    There are no problems at all running/shifting it in the tank without the prop installed, You're good to go.:cheers:

Shifting it with the prop on at the end just makes it fun to watch and quicker to drain the tank near the end of the test.:D

3. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    OK... I sorta figured that but wanted to have someone else with more knowledge on them confirm ...appreciate the info.. I have all the new bellows-shift cable in except the aft exhaust bellows connection. Ran out of time on it.

4. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    Well I had to hold off on the project because the parts I bought from a guy I found on eBay sent me the wrong shift cable housing (even though I gave him the exact length verbally and in writing) his hose clamps for both main bellows were inferior to the originals and he also sent me the wrong o-rings for the drive shaft...wow.. the dude said I could return the parts and pay freight for his screw up then hung up on me twice on the phone...then mis represented the entire situation to paypal.......wow... all I will say right now is BUYER BEWARE..... if you find someone on eBay make sure to buy through eBay at least you could leave them the feedback they deserve to warn others....paypal found in his favor...but I at least made the jerk go through the motions of having to deal with it.