surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I just got back in this morning from a run & gun weekend on the CONDOR. If you were offshore, you know that it got a little bumpy and the fish were playing hard-to-get. You just had to keep looking, sliding up near foamers and hoping to grab one or more before they sank out and scattered.

Captain Jimmy gave it his best effort, as always, and the crew of Scott and Jason and Kyle and Trevor and chef Greg never stopped working for our group of 27. It was a good trip, and I say that after not tagging a fish all weekend. We would get a bite or two, several times three fish, out of a stop and then we would have to fire up the engines and go looking again. I liked that Capt. Jimmy would actually give you thirty seconds after calling "LInes in, let's go after them" before firing up the motors because in many years of fishing with other skippers you usually got maybe ten seconds grace to wind in your deep soak at warp speed against the forward surge of the boat.

About a third of the group got a couple of fish, another third got one, and I was in the third that blanked. I had two pickups, one spit the lure within ten seconds, and the other one was on for maybe a minute before he ran across another line with a fish being fought. I usually like a long fluoro leader, but most guys use a rod-length or so and then braid. And when fluoro or mono runs across braid, bye-bye. Cost me a nice flat-fall I had tricked-out too. Oh well, that's fishing.

There were a couple of very good casters on the trip, and they may well have taken three or four each. I can cast, but not nearly as good as I could twenty years ago, especially when the boat is pitching a lot. My balance isn't what it used to be, and you can't get real distance when you are trying not to fall down. I didn't see any fish on a popper, but sniper-type metal jigs got bit as well as fly-line sardines. Many fish were hooked deep, doing the torpedo sinker rig down around 120 feet and lower. Since the boat was rolling heavily as it was being pushed down-wind in 25 knots weather, it was not a tactic that was calling to me.
I had decided before the trip that I was going to concentrate on using jigs more than bait, and I think that I maybe used six sardines all weekend.

I don't know about you guys, but sinking down a torpedo sinker several feet ahead of a nose-hooked sardine and then letting a boat drift along in the wind while you try to stay out of tangles and keep your boots from filling with water that rushes into the boat from the scuppers as they sink when the boat rolls Is NOT my favorite way to fish, even though it is undeniably effective. So I was usually up in the pointy end trying various lures. One young man had an interesting trip, being up at the bow with me and firing a Katy Perry sniper with the stock treble for long periods and not getting any love, when POW he was hooked up and had a huge fight. It turned out to be about a 30 pound tuna that his lure had snagged in the top of the back, between the dorsal and the finlets. He was happy, it was his only fish of the trip. I congratulated him, of course. Luck plays a big part in this offshore game, doesn't it?

So last weekend several of the boats got lucky and found schools that wanted to play, but most boats were like us, scratching a count the hard way. I'm already looking forward to my next trip, the three-day in October. Hopefully it will be more productive for me. That trip last October resulted in a $600 bill from 5 Star for me.

Dale Fero

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 19, 2015
Rsm, ca
Name
Dale Fero
Boat
Excel, RR3
I was on this trip and Surfgoose sums it up perfectly when he said Run N Gun! You had one chance to pick the perfect bait or make the perfect cast and we were on to the next school. The crew worked their tails off and never gave up. I was one of the Bow sniper slingers and was fortunate to hook and hand three fish to my son who was celebrating his bday.I am a terrible bait fisherman and the foamers on Sunday morning were up and getting after it.Loved the boat, crew was awesome! The 20 knot winds across the swell I could do without!
Greg is a true gentleman fisher and I believe read 2 books between all of our stops.

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
I was on this trip and Surfgoose sums it up perfectly when he said Run N Gun! You had one chance to pick the perfect bait or make the perfect cast and we were on to the next school. The crew worked their tails off and never gave up. I was one of the Bow sniper slingers and was fortunate to hook and hand three fish to my son who was celebrating his bday.I am a terrible bait fisherman and the foamers on Sunday morning were up and getting after it.Loved the boat, crew was awesome! The 20 knot winds across the swell I could do without!
Greg is a true gentleman fisher and I believe read 2 books between all of our stops.
What size and color snipers were working? Also, were you letting it sink (how long?) or just burning it on the surface?

Thanks

Reactions: surfgoose

Dale Fero

Sep 19, 2015
Rsm, ca
Name
Dale Fero
Boat
Excel, RR3
What size and color snipers were working? Also, were you letting it sink (how long?) or just burning it on the surface?

Thanks
I was fishing a 80 gram Katy Perry( upgraded hooks/ rings
On foamers count of three and then burn it. On sonar schools I would let it sink out for a 30 count/ burn it/ sink it.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Thanks, Dale. It's Gary not Greg, but as long as you call me for dinner you can call me anything you like. A pleasure fishing with you and your son! There's room on the October 3-day, and it is always a great trip. Hope to share a rail again soon.

Dale Fero

Sep 19, 2015
Rsm, ca
Name
Dale Fero
Boat
Excel, RR3
Sorry Gary! I am terrible with names but you were a real pleasure to fish with. Nothing rushed, very polite and I usually will read two or more books on my long range trips.

c sick

"IF YA DON'T GO YA DON'T KNOW"
Aug 13, 2007
escondido
Name
mark
Boat
"C SICK" 255 OS Pursuit
I was out there today too,I need some talent o the stern hit me up I have a 26"er I can't do it all.