Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
So my 9 Year Old daughter asked me when she could shoot her first deer. This was a very proud father moment for me but it also made me realize I don't have a rifle for her to shoot. I have lots of rifles and could borrow a youth model from one of my siblings. But I really want a Ruger #3 in 44 Mag. I think it would be a great youth gun, I already stock up on 44 ammo and I killed lots of deer with a 44 rifle I had as a kid. Does anyone have one? Or know someone who has one? They are a relatively rare gun but I'm trying to get a couple years headstart here. I have Already checked the overinflated prices on GB, if you guys would just keep your eye open at your local gun shop when you are out and about I would Appreciate it.

Reactions: jiggermyster

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
I think you will have a tough time finding one of the Rugers, let alone for a reasonable price. A more realistic idea may be one on Henry’s single shots in 44mag. An even more a available and affordable option would be a CVA single shot in 44 mag. The CVA’s Bergara barrels and crisp triggers make for a great shooting little rifle.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
I think you will have a tough time finding one of the Rugers, let alone for a reasonable price. A more realistic idea may be one on Henry’s single shots in 44mag. An even more a available and affordable option would be a CVA single shot in 44 mag. The CVA’s Bergara barrels and crisp triggers make for a great shooting little rifle.

I've got a handful of backup options and the Henry is one of them. I actually really like Henry Rifles. And as a company they are outstanding Americans. But their single shots are not a pretty unit haha.

Upvote 0

xtshawytscha

May 14, 2011
Forks, WA, USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Cabin Fever - C Hawk 245
Nothing better than getting your kids involved in hunting and fishing. Congrats! Those Henry lever actions are amazing guns but hard to come by in 44 the last time I checked, but that was over a year ago. My youngest son (12) just killed his first deer on opening day this weekend and it will forever stand out as one of the most memorable parening moments for me. Good luck in your search for the right gun and good job with your daughter!

Hard Chargin'
Hard Chargin'
One of those Henry 44s with the 16" bbl is on my short list. I love them.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
While I have not handled one of Henry’s single shots in person, the images look pretty decent to me. All the lever Henrys I have handled have had good fit and finish and pretty decent figure in the wood. I can’t imagine them missing the mark on the single shots that badly. If you don’t like the look of the Henry’s you really are not going to enjoy the utilitarian CVA.
02CE59FB-F520-44A7-944F-DC8BFD8E7C59.jpeg
B7F9C017-F5BA-42E2-9D6F-F210D4C03B02.png

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Is it low recoil you are mainly concerned with?
Actually a light, simple and easy to wield gun is more important. They are packing it not me. And my kids are all on the small side. My 10 Year old is like 50#'s soaking wet. I like the falling block because it's a really short action. I'll get a 16" Bbl put on it and a brake and recoil will be no problem. I just need a really small gun is the problem here.

Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
While I have not handled one of Henry’s single shots in person, the images look pretty decent to me. All the lever Henrys I have handled have had good fit and finish and pretty decent figure in the wood. I can’t imagine them missing the mark on the single shots that badly. If you don’t like the look of the Henry’s you really are not going to enjoy the utilitarian CVA.
View attachment 1327525View attachment 1327535

I have handled the single shots. I appreciate that they were filling the gap when Remington dropped the H&R line. I have several H&R and NEF single shots and I like their lines a lot more than the Henry's. Nothing against Henry. I love their lever guns. And I have zero doubt that their single shots perform well. I just think they're ugly. They also have thick and solid walnut so it's a lot of extra weight. The Ruger #3 with the English stock saves a lot of weight in wood.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
.243??? Ammo is plentiful, very light kick, flat shooting, and accurate, can use it for years. In addition, I believe they still make over/under .243/20 gauge. Good for grouse/deer/coyotes/squirrles/etc.

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
.243??? Ammo is plentiful, very light kick, flat shooting, and accurate, can use it for years. In addition, I believe they still make over/under .243/20 gauge. Good for grouse/deer/coyotes/squirrles/etc.

I mean I could. I've kinda landed on the 44 Because I like it, it's a great deer killer and I have shit loads of ammo and reloading supplies for it. Plus it's a baby to shoot with 180 XTP's.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
I mean I could. I've kinda landed on the 44 Because I like it, it's a great deer killer and I have shit loads of ammo and reloading supplies for it. Plus it's a baby to shoot with 180 XTP's.
So one question that no one asked.......what type of country will you be hunting? I don't know alot about that round, but something tells me it drops off FAST. So blacktail in the west, it may suffice, but eastern...not so much. If you and your daughter plan on western hunts, yeah maybe, but 300 yds out east....GL...just food for thought...

Upvote 0

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
So one question that no one asked.......what type of country will you be hunting? I don't know alot about that round, but something tells me it drops off FAST. So blacktail in the west, it may suffice, but eastern...not so much. If you and your daughter plan on western hunts, yeah maybe, but 300 yds out east....GL...just food for thought...

It'll be up close and personal. Family land in Idaho and I don't expect any long shots (over 80yards). I'm pretty set on the cartridge. Really hopeful on the gun but I'm willing to entertain other lightweight options.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
I have a pair of T/C Contender rifles that my boys use. Oldest one just got his first bolt action so daughter is using one to start hunting next year. High quality, light, and very accurate. Barrel options from 22LR to 30-30. (Including the .44 magnum). I had to shorten the stocks, but that’s it. All kinds of aftermarket barrel options are available if T/C doesn’t have one in the flavor you want.

Upvote 0

OceanSun

Captain
  • Mar 26, 2013
    Snohomish WA
    Name
    Dan Meyer
    Boat
    Ocean Dancer 21' Trophy
    Love .243 and grew up shooting a Mauser action .243 - tight shooting gun.

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    Take a look at the Ruger American compact. I got one in .308 for Christopher when he was 9 and he's had no issues packing it all day when hunting deer and elk. Shoots straight enough, and was light and easy for him to manage when he was younger and smaller. He's killed blacktail 4 years in a row with it... Looking for #5 now.

Reactions: AdmiralSnackbar
    Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Take a look at the Ruger American compact. I got one in .308 for Christopher when he was 9 and he's had no issues packing it all day when hunting deer and elk. Shoots straight enough, and was light and easy for him to manage when he was younger and smaller. He's killed blacktail 4 years in a row with it... Looking for #5 now.
    Got my .308 when I was 13. Taken 20 deer and an elk. A great round for the PNW IMO. One of my relatives from Sweden claims it is the best round ever devised. Personally I think the .06 is, but it's all subjective...

GL on your pursuit Andre. My advice, keep an open mind, if you do and come to the same conclusion....hope you find a great Ruger #3 in 44 Mag......

Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
    Jul 6, 2012
    North of seattle
    Name
    Blackmouther
    Boat
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    I would certainly regret that. When was the last time you saw 6.5 ammo available?
    Saturday at Skagit arms. It’s not hard to find you just have to buy it when you see it. Incredible accuracy and minimal kick. I’ve put 3 of these together in the last year with benchmark (miller) brakes, rails, rings and scopes. The rifle is 521, and all in 900 with a sig 4-12x50 whiskey 3 scope. 1/2” gun with factory ammo. Not sure what the regret would be.

Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    So my 9 Year Old daughter asked me when she could shoot her first deer. This was a very proud father moment for me but it also made me realize I don't have a rifle for her to shoot. I have lots of rifles and could borrow a youth model from one of my siblings. But I really want a Ruger #3 in 44 Mag. I think it would be a great youth gun, I already stock up on 44 ammo and I killed lots of deer with a 44 rifle I had as a kid. Does anyone have one? Or know someone who has one? They are a relatively rare gun but I'm trying to get a couple years headstart here. I have Already checked the overinflated prices on GB, if you guys would just keep your eye open at your local gun shop when you are out and about I would Appreciate it.
    Look at the Thompson Contender rifle series with interchangeable barrels.

Upvote 0