2tuna

Almost A Member
Feb 21, 2011
Salinas/CA/USA
Name
Craig H
Boat
le barge
RSW, the greatest thing since 2-speed reels and Farah put on that red swimsuit, right? Super-chilled hyper-saline sushi-grade sounds awesome.

But why do so many of these recent bluefin photos have eyes like scrambled eggs? If I saw those eyes in a fish market, I wouldn't be taking her home.

Sorting fish at the landing, I've noticed that coming out of the carts sometimes they're cold, sometimes sort-of-almost cool-but-not-really. I understand that after a hot bite the mass of meat going in the hold might warm things up temporarily but you'd think by the time you off-load the next morning or later, it would be damn cold. By the time Fisherman's Processing is done with my order it all looks clean and pretty, but my experience is the quality on the plate does vary.

Are all the boats pretty consistent, or are there maintenance/management or even hardware issues that separate one boat from another?

I do understand there are other variables like does the crew gill/gut/spine the fish, how long they sat in the kill box, etc but I am curious about the RSW.

Last edited:
Reactions: butcherboy

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Good questions.One of the more infamous 3/4 day boats uses RSW and i wasn't at all impressed with the temperature of my catch when they pulled them out of the cooler.They weren't even large fish.Better than a gunny sack i guess.

Reactions: Rocket Dog and dsl
Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
I would guess it’s the same as any HVAC application, the system has X heat removal capacity an hour and other factors, like you mentioned a pile of hot fish, that can slow it down due to efficiency.

Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    I don't know what 3/4 boat has RSW? the water cannot chill enough over the duration of a trip like that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but spray brine is the standard on most short-range boats that I know.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I don't know what 3/4 boat has RSW? the water cannot chill enough over the duration of a trip like that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but spray brine is the standard on most short-range boats that I know.
    It might be spray brine,not really sure.Edit,it is a spray brine system.

Upvote 0

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat
    none
    I'm not a tuna snob so I wouldn't know the miniscule differences...I only eat BF smoked. If that offends some here...sorry. Just not that into it. ..just as there are wine snobs, beer snobs coffee snobs, whiskey snobs...etc...

Upvote 0

Runway1

Almost A Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    Orange County
    Name
    Runway1
    Boat
    None
    I am ABSOLUTELY a wine, beer, coffee, whisky as well as a fish...AND hunting snob. You know why?.....Because I'm damn mothe *$(&`#`-; ...58 years old and actually developed some taste!

• Haha
    Reactions: Rocket Dog
    Upvote 0

winningman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Oct 14, 2009
    torrance, Ca.
    Name
    MYOUNG
    Boat
    none.

Reactions: sonny818