DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
Just got home after returning from the annual Rhodes charter. Without question the most ridiculous BFT fishing I've ever experienced, and probably the front runner for best San Diego trip of the year (IMO)...

We left a little late Saturday after loading up on really nice sardines. Randy would be running the trip with Blake as 2nd. Jake, Ryan and Mike on deck with Cameron and Alex in the galley. No passports would be necessary this trip - we were sticking to US waters...

Heading west straight into a mixed swell with 15-20 winds. We were told it was going to be sloppy, but "fishable". Arrived early morning as I'm sure our speed was a bit slower than it otherwise would've been, and Randy got to work looking around...

Most of the morning was spent on drifts with a few nice tuna (30-70#) taken on sardines in small flurries. Late morning/early afternoon the kite started working with frozen flyers the bait of choice. Randy got us onto an area of big fish which decided to bite. Over the next 2-1/2 days we went thru the kite rotation twice. At one point late Sunday afternoon, and again on Monday mid-day, we had 6 kite rigs going at the same time...

Sunday night, with most tapping out after a long day of sloppy conditions, a few stayed up to enjoy a solid jig bite that ran from 7-midnight on this same grade fish. My friend John landed 4 out of 5, with 3 over 200#...

Monday night was spent anchored in shallower water on the Tanner, where we woke to a decent bite on 12-20# YT. I managed 2 on the surface iron early, but nearly all the rest were taken on fly-lined sardines...

Moving back to the big fish zone mid-day saw another round of heavy kite activity on only slightly smaller grade fish (100-140 avg), until nearly all passengers were "passing" on their kite opportunity so Randy called it a trip...

I have no idea how many personal bests were achieved - my guess is probably 80% of the group. I know I got mine...

30 - this is not a typo - 30 fish over 200#. On a 4-day trip. Absolutely crazy...

100_0016.JPG
100_0024.JPG
IMG_4181.jpg
cfed18ed-b3f6-43f9-8831-325fa96035f1.JPG
IMG_4197.jpg

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Nice job!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT REPORT, info, pics and NICE FISH.
    WOW what a load. Love the count board pic. Almost off the chart!
    Gotta be one of the best trips of season. LOL

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Just amazing. Not sure I need to say more, except I’m glad you were part of it.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Just got home after returning from the annual Rhodes charter. Without question the most ridiculous BFT fishing I've ever experienced, and probably the front runner for best San Diego trip of the year (IMO)...

We left a little late Saturday after loading up on really nice sardines. Randy would be running the trip with Blake as 2nd. Jake, Ryan and Mike on deck with Cameron and Alex in the galley. No passports would be necessary this trip - we were sticking to US waters...

Heading west straight into a mixed swell with 15-20 winds. We were told it was going to be sloppy, but "fishable". Arrived early morning as I'm sure our speed was a bit slower than it otherwise would've been, and Randy got to work looking around...

Most of the morning was spent on drifts with a few nice tuna (30-70#) taken on sardines in small flurries. Late morning/early afternoon the kite started working with frozen flyers the bait of choice. Randy got us onto an area of big fish which decided to bite. Over the next 2-1/2 days we went thru the kite rotation twice. At one point late Sunday afternoon, and again on Monday mid-day, we had 6 kite rigs going at the same time...

Sunday night, with most tapping out after a long day of sloppy conditions, a few stayed up to enjoy a solid jig bite that ran from 7-midnight on this same grade fish. My friend John landed 4 out of 5, with 3 over 200#...

Monday night was spent anchored in shallower water on the Tanner, where we woke to a decent bite on 12-20# YT. I managed 2 on the surface iron early, but nearly all the rest were taken on fly-lined sardines...

Moving back to the big fish zone mid-day saw another round of heavy kite activity on only slightly smaller grade fish (100-140 avg), until nearly all passengers were "passing" on their kite opportunity so Randy called it a trip...

I have no idea how many personal bests were achieved - my guess is probably 80% of the group. I know I got mine...

30 - this is not a typo - 30 fish over 200#. On a 4-day trip. Absolutely crazy...

View attachment 1319009View attachment 1319010View attachment 1319011View attachment 1319012View attachment 1319013
    Was there a preference on the jigs they were eating at night?

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
    Apr 17, 2007
    3rd dumpster on the right
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Lund LX200 LFC
    Was there a preference on the jigs they were eating at night?
    Didn’t seem to be. I saw nomads, flatfalls, squish, and a few others I didn’t recognize working. 180-400g, didn’t seem to make much difference…
    Was Brian Simms on the trip? He was the one reporting on the RS website.
    Nope. Brian and Tim just came off of the previous 7-day, I believe. I think Brian will be running our 11-day in Nov. Randy and Blake were outstanding. Randy has run this charter the last 4 years - for whatever reason, it must fit in well with his and the others’ schedules…

Reactions: caballo del mar
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Booyah. Randy is not a big writer.

Well done to all involved 💪

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Didn’t seem to be. I saw nomads, flatfalls, squish, and a few others I didn’t recognize working. 180-400g, didn’t seem to make much difference…

Nope. Brian and Tim just came off of the previous 7-day, I believe. I think Brian will be running our 11-day in Nov. Randy and Blake were outstanding. Randy has run this charter the last 4 years - for whatever reason, it must fit in well with his and the others’ schedules…
    My 10 day is the trip before that 11 day, probably will see you when I get off the Star.

Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

Cplug

Jul 19, 2014
    Name
    Cplug
    Boat
    II Sons

View attachment 1319009View attachment 1319010View attachment 1319011View attachment 1319012View attachment 1319013
    Good fishing, plentiful. Bloody Marys. I should have been there. See you for the 11 day.

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
    Feb 8, 2011
    Westchester NY
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    Wow what do I say here. INSANE FISHING. WTG ... great report and love the pic's... Standing ovation for the RS and captain and crew.
    It sounds and looks like one of those extraordinary trips that will soon enter the epic SDLR canon, as one of the all-time greats. (Especially on a 4 day!!!!)

THANKS 10X for awesome written report and documentary photographs!

Upvote 0