Allen858

Salty Member
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
Allen
Boat
13' Yak
Left on 8 day on rooster. Trip before us had to hit lupe due to weather down south. Maria gave the green light a day before trip for rocks/ridge.

Conditions were not looking good at rocks, Andy charged the ridge. Didn’t take long to get a troll strike. Stoked the hoo were around. The DTX in any color did well (when they tracked). We picked up ~2-4 additional on bombs/jigs for each troll fish. Was lucky enough to get a couple on troll as well as on the bomb. As always floro did better with more casualties. Orange/gold seemed to be best on bombs/jigs. Later in afternoon ran into nice school of yft (20-40#), most the boat loaded up using bait.

Rinse and repeat the next day but ran into some yt on the dropper/yoyo. Was fortunate to get a 31# on 6x.

The following day continued to pick at the hoo until everyone on the boat had one. Made a move north and ran into a wide open dodo bite. We had to leave after 30 mins it was stupid good.

At this point, tags are running low for all. I decided to check in with family. Haven’t touch phone for most the trip. Some heavy shit...grandpa had heart attack night before, and fading fast. Choked up, ran to bridge to use sat phone. Had the chance to say goodbye over the phone, 15 mins later he was gone. The timing was nothing short of a miracle. Andy was very accommodating. Grandpa had been taking me fishing since I could walk. A couple shots/hours later got in a better place and came to realize he would have wanted me to enjoy what he taught me.

Finished off the trip with a wide open surface iron bite on small (~10#) yt, and some jumbo reds.

Was an awesome trip, everyone had near or limits with hoo, yft, yt, dodo, and reds in the bag. Crew was great, passengers the kind you want to fish with again.

BC43D928-44A6-4613-9EFA-73F1CEA0F009.jpeg F3F02C1D-3581-4D0A-8D6F-8413E51113A8.jpeg 44D35984-F6B4-4B92-B35A-DC8D24C1D6FE.jpeg

themacs

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2003
San Clemente CA
Name
scott
Boat
none
So sorry about your grandfather.

Great report. Similar to our 7 day on SOA minus the dorado's :). Yes the Nomads are good but staying in the water is tough at times. Did you change out any of their hooks to 7691"s or?
Thanks for the report!
Scott

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
Apr 5, 2015
San marcos
Name
Jay
Boat
16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
Great fishing with you brother! Glad we did so well! Sorry for your loss, wish you and your family the best. What an awesome trip with awesome people! I can’t believe you left out the “ no panocha shirt!” Everyone who wanted them, caught them! Man I love wahoo!

AA052E16-B140-49DA-B425-CBD5CF28C8B4.jpeg

Allen858

Salty Member
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
Allen
Boat
13' Yak

Great report. Similar to our 7 day on SOA minus the dorado's :). Yes the Nomads are good but staying in the water is tough at times. Did you change out any of their hooks to 7691"s or?
Thanks for the report!
Scott

Thanks for the report!
Scott
We had one of the Nomad reps sponsor trip, he was testing some prototypes which I believe tracked better. Didn’t try switching out for 7691s

Wandering Blues

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
My condolences to you and your family. I can’t think of a better way to honor him than what you did. I’d like to think his spirit was feeling that tug on the rod when you were hooked up.

Reactions: Allen858

canyonman

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
Question about that prototype. Was it the long range model that is highly anticipated. If so how did it hold up? My condolences to your family

Last edited:

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Thank you for the report and my condolences go out to you. I think you handled it great in that I’m sure your gramps would want you to enjoy yourself doing what he handed down to ya (the passion for fishing). Tight lines man.

Allen858

Salty Member
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
Allen
Boat
13' Yak
My condolences to you and your family. I can’t think of a better way to honor him than what you did. I’d like to think his spirit was feeling that tug on the rod when you were hooked up.
Right on, felt the same. Gave me some extra juice to horse em in

Allen858

Salty Member
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
Allen
Boat
13' Yak
Question about that prototype. Was it the long range model that is highly anticipated. If so how did it hold up? My condolences to your family
Thanks. Seemed to be an update to dtx200 expected to be released later this year. We had three, and were tying them to straight mono. They tracked better, but all got chewed off after few hoo

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
So sorry to here about your grandfather. He is proud of you. Enjoyed sharing the rail with you. The new Nomad is bigger and heavier than the 200. They changed the auto tracking. Hopefully will be out soon.

This trip in the future will be know as the Richard Hightower memorial trip, sponsored by Nomad, Seaguar, etc. Accurate donated a 600N turn, engraved “RH Hightower, 2019.” It was raffled and fished in his honor. Great gesture from Accurate.

Eric Ancog

Mar 3, 2018
Lakewood
Name
Eric Ancog
Boat
Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III
Great report! So sorry to hear about your grandfather, my condolences to you and your family.

Freddiefish

Mar 5, 2019
Huffman Tx
Name
Freddie
Boat
Carolina Skiff
Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I'm sure he would have been happy to know you were fishing like he taught you.
God Bless

cap_lr

May 16, 2007
San Diego
Name
Laurens
Boat
SOLD!
Good fishing with you Allen - so sorry to hear about your grandpa.

Nothin' like catching wahoo eh.

Hope to see you next year - or maybe a longer trip in between.

Cheers!

IMG_6914.jpeg

Last edited:

Allen858

Salty Member
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
Allen
Boat
13' Yak
Great fishing with you brother! Glad we did so well! Sorry for your loss, wish you and your family the best. What an awesome trip with awesome people! I can’t believe you left out the “ no panocha shirt!” Everyone who wanted them, caught them! Man I love wahoo!

View attachment 1078132
Thanks Jay, great fishing w/u as well. Couldn’t mention the “shirt” due to coast Guard regulation 4-5. (What happens on boat in MX stays in MX) haha

Allen858

Salty Member
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
Allen
Boat
13' Yak
So sorry to here about your grandfather. He is proud of you. Enjoyed sharing the rail with you. The new Nomad is bigger and heavier than the 200. They changed the auto tracking. Hopefully will be out soon.

This trip in the future will be know as the Richard Hightower memorial trip, sponsored by Nomad, Seaguar, etc. Accurate donated a 600N turn, engraved “RH Hightower, 2019.” It was raffled and fished in his honor. Great gesture from Accurate.
Thanks Rich, great fishing w/u as well

Reactions: RichG

Allen858

Salty Member
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
Allen
Boat
13' Yak
Good fishing with you Allen - so sorry to hear about your grandpa.

Nothin' like catching wahoo eh.

Hope to see you next year - or maybe a longer trip in between.

Cheers!

View attachment 1078587
Thanks Laurens. Great sharing the rail with you as well. Agreed the wahoo strike on jig/bomb like nothing else. Will be seeing you on boat soon, like to have a matching 300# jacket like yourself soon

SD Bass Assassin

Formally gurnman
Aug 30, 2009
lakeside
Name
Bill
Boat
Champion 200
Allen, I had a great time fishing with you and the rest of the guys. Great group. Sorry about grandpa, he’d been proud of the way you fished. Seems like we were always hooked up. Thanks for all the conversations with had! Badass trip!

Allen858

Salty Member
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
Allen
Boat
13' Yak
Allen, I had a great time fishing with you and the rest of the guys. Great group. Sorry about grandpa, he’d been proud of the way you fished. Seems like we were always hooked up. Thanks for all the conversations with had! Badass trip!
Thanks for the kind words Bill! Awesome fishing with you as well, and thanks for the great conversation...helped me keep my head in right place. We had a great trip, and man I had busy weekend processing. Look forward to fishing with you again soon.

892F04F2-3CDB-4E12-AEBF-D659C2251BEA.jpeg

SlideRight

Been there...
Jul 4, 2008
So Cal
Name
Lew
Boat
ss minnow
Thanks for the terrific report! I too am sorry for your loss. Am doublely bummed if your grandfather was the Richard Hightower I knew and fished with many times (was Newell rep. then). Grateful for the many great memories on LR trips with him & also shooting the breeze at the FHS. Was a neighbor in La Mirada too. Will always be fondly remembered. Condolences to you & family.

Allen858

Salty Member
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
Allen
Boat
13' Yak
Thanks for the terrific report! I too am sorry for your loss. Am doublely bummed if your grandfather was the Richard Hightower I knew and fished with many times (was Newell rep. then). Grateful for the many great memories on LR trips with him & also shooting the breeze at the FHS. Was a neighbor in La Mirada too. Will always be fondly remembered. Condolences to you & family.
thanks, this was a separate loss not related to Hightower fam

Reactions: SlideRight

SlideRight

Been there...
Jul 4, 2008
So Cal
Name
Lew
Boat
ss minnow
thanks, this was a separate loss not related to Hightower fam
Copy that......
was due to misinterpretation of earlier post (below), my bad:

"This trip in the future will be know as the Richard Hightower memorial trip, sponsored by Nomad, Seaguar, etc. Accurate donated a 600N turn, engraved “RH Hightower, 2019.” It was raffled and fished in his honor. Great gesture from Accurate."

RichG, Oct 12, 2019Report

Reactions: reellady and RichG