RR3 cited for overlimits in 2017

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by scott v, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fincutter

Fincutter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    Keeping a log book sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure I could count on my memory during a hot day of fishing. And I've never counted my tags to make sure I got exactly 30. That's gonna change . . .

2. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    :rofl:LOL
    I guess I'm both (idiot and a liar), Who pays attention to how many fish each person catches on a LR trip. If you do, You obviously "have to much time on your hands". You should go back to stroking your kayak!

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  3. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    I pay attention to what i've caught.How can you not ?

4. No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou No Cal Lou

Name:
    Lou Salatich
    Boat:
    none
    Why are we beating this to death?

Artois, plj46, Yolo and 1 other person like this.
  5. bluewaterbum

bluewaterbum Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    none
    How can you cite any fisherman on the boat, since you don’t know if he caught the fish, that’s the first thing. Also the fisherman aren’t given the tags on most boats and the board they’re on has stacks of them.
    The boat got it for going over boat limits, just like when the Ranger 85 got busted by DFG, the skipper and deckhands got citied and fined.

6. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Personally I think the DFG should have stayed low profile until the fish were sorted then counted what was in each pile, and cited those over the limit. I believe the boat deserved a fine, but the fishermen all knew the limits, and everyone has responsibility for themselves. If they claimed that someone put their tags on some fish they didn’t catch then they can clear that up in court. Had the DFG not shown up I’m pretty sure they would have all kept their fish.
    As far as not knowing how many fish you caught, you deserve to be cited if you don’t pay close enough attention and go 10 fish over the limit. If everyone on that trip was off by a fish or two nothing would have come of this. Although I don’t keep an exact count of my fish I always know about how many I’ve caught. Since I don’t plan on filling all of my tags it’s never an issue. Those that want to fill their limit(which is fine by me) need to pay closer attention.

7. bluewaterbum

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    none
    Again how do you know they caught and tagged the fish. Just because it has a tag on the fish doesn’t mean anything. Since the fisherman doesn’t always move the fish from the bins to their stack angain you don’t know if they caught the fish or someone put their tag on the fish while on the boat.
    There’s no way DFG can prove you caught the fish without video proof.
    Therefore, boat gets fined for overfishing.

8. bluewaterbum

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    none
    BTW, last I looked in the United States they would have to prove you caught them, not the other way around.

9. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    All they have to prove is you loaded them in your vehicle or turned them into the processor .Possession is possession no getting around it .

Artois, Lake, $norkle and 2 others like this.
  10. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    Like I said.
    The Capt is the ONLY ONE that can't play the stupid card.
    Which is BULLSHIT!

Yellowtail Dan and makairaa like this.
  11. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Pretty sure the gameys just want to send a clear effective message that this can't be done..
    By fining the skipper they have ensured that all skippers will be discussing and enforcing these limits and not rely on many times drunk on vacation passengers to be accurate with their own count...

12. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    If you load the fish or pay for the fish to get processed you own them and it’s on you. Playing the “I didn’t catch them and don’t know who did’ card on the docks when they have your tag on them is bullshit move.

plj46, Lake, $norkle and 1 other person like this.
  13. Lake

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Actually these are possession limits. You could catch zero fish but if you take home 40 you’re 10 over the limit. That’s why I said they could work it out in court if they deny they were their fish. The Rooster stepped up and took responsibility. I’d hope the anglers, if put in that position, would follow suit.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  14. jeffreykooken

jeffreykooken Jeff

Name:
    Jeff Kooken
    Boat:
    14' Aluninum
    After reading this thread 10 pages deep, it seems like some would say that it is only the skipper and crew that should be responsible for the take. Others seem to be saying the anglers should be responsible. I think both should be held responsible. Seems the skipper didn't try to hide the overage from the DFG, once confronted. Good on him for having the courage to man up. Us, as fisherman, shouldn't be out there without a basic understanding of the rules, and a desire to fish as moral, law abiding individuals. It matters what I do as an individual. Further, I don't want you to pay for my mistakes. So, I will stop at my bag limit. Hope you all do the same. I see the fines as harsh, but $40K beats the 5-yr suspension another boat got. If we as anglers, and the skippers and crews as well, don't start policing our sport, our sport will be taken away by those that don't care about our rights.

$norkle, Warlord, Artois and 2 others like this.
  15. DC61

DC61 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul L.
    Boat:
    33’ Blackfin

The skipper didn't have a choice to "man up". The boat was caught red handed. There was no denying it.

As for part two of your post, maybe you missed it, but we have already been losing our sport. We can no longer fish at the following locations:

Cedros
    Benitos
    Asuncion
    Clarion
    Roca Partida
    Socorro
    San Benedicto

The Mexican environmentalists believe the long range fleet is raping THEIR ocean. You can believe they are aware of this incident and will use it to their advantage. We need to be better guests IN THEIR COUNTRY.

Steve K, FishRock, karlk1125 and 6 others like this.
  16. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    This is not that difficult, you don't need to be a MIT graduate to understand it! Personal accountability is first and foremost. Mexican limits are posted where all the licenses are, usually in a area where you walk in the galley. They are explained in a fairly concise manner. Should you be overwhelmed with confusion, ask a crew member to explain it to you. When in doubt, look at the board usually in a bait well, with corresponding numbers with talleys, and species listed with all anglers numbers. If you're confused beyond that, I suggest finding a passtime like checkers! Honestly, it's not that difficult!

plj46, $norkle, karlk1125 and 5 others like this.
  17. Artois

Artois Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roy
    Boat:
    Not Given
    Cause it's the internet

18. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    That's all fine and dandy - along with all the other posts from others trying to clear the skipper of this - but it still doesn't release the responsibility of the man in charge. As per the article, he manned up - no matter who under him failed - and accepted responsibility.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But on the other hand, I can see how an extra 200 fish caught by...… 1 or 2 anglers :rolleyes: .... on a 6-day trip can slip by anybodys' attention. ( I especially liked those types of replies. :rofl:)

19. Lake

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Not trying to clear the skipper, just feel that the anglers should bear some of the penalty.

jeffreykooken likes this.
  20. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    40K for too many fish. SMH. They would have been eaten. The real problem facing over fishing comes from commercial fishing from other countries around the world. The earth is covered by over 70%+ of water people. SDLR isn't the "real" problem.
    Michael Vick tortured dogs to death, he made millions (again) after his "penance". It wasn't for sustenance.
    Where is the logic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.