fly liner

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
First off captain and crew top notch super hard working guys. Thank you.

Finished getting bait around noon and it was traveling after that. We planned to start fishing around 1 the next day. I assembled my gear, got my shorts, tank top, flip flops, and head phones, and enjoyed the beautiful scenery on the sun deck. I am usually super social on the boats but this was my relax and forget about life trip. Not to say that I didn't socialize, but it was far less than normal.

On to the fishing. It was relatively slow, we did not see a tuna the entire trip. From what I understand the seiner pressure down south is very high. At one point on the trip prior to ours there was 8 large seiner in the area. While rooster was on a drift catching school size yft a boat parked very near, made zero radio contact and just waited until rooster left and went to work.. Through out the trip we found multiple schools of mostly uncooperative yellowtail a few would bite but very few went full speed. I spent most of my fishing time slinging the surface jig. We had an insane amount of pressure from the dogs. They were ruthless, many many fish lost to or mutilated by them. Big fish of the trip was a 44lb yellow that happened rite after I went to sleep. The same night I hooked a solid 40 class yellowtail on the yoyo fishing a HXJ with 80 over 80 on a super Seeker 6480xh. After about 3 cranks on the jig I knew it was by far my PB yellow. I pulled hard and it was attacked by a dog. I managed to get it away from him 3 times but the forth time all that came back was my jig. I pulled harder on the fish than I have ever pulled on anything. So hard in fact that I literally gave myself a hernia. Oops. One morning we stopped on some inshore reefs I caught multiples of the biggest lizard fish that any of us had ever seen, that us including Captain Andy himself. I viewed that as an achievement, to catch the largest of any particular species that Andy had ever seen. After giving up on fairly unproductive anchor spots, capt said it was time to run offshore. I had a feeling that the rest of the day would be slow. I decided it was a good time to grab a book and head for the sun deck. Now I do not read books it is not my thing. I sat on the deck and read Old Man And The Sea cover to cover without the boat stopping. On our final day of fishing, everything took a turn for the better, almost every kelp stop we made kicked out a decent amount of semi decent yellows. That day made the trip for most of the people on the boat. We also got 2 or 3 Dorado. We finished with close to, if not limits of yellowtail. All in all I had a great time. It was a vacation that I really really needed. Sometimes the cure is just time away from the daily grind of life. Oh ya and I somehow lucked out and got a bunk room to myself which was very nice. Most of the passengers were really cool but somehow the majority just could not comprehend the basics of fishing bait. Every stop people casting before the boat stopped and constantly casting on the wrong side of the boat. During the times that I was fishing bait it was hectic to say the least. And as normal the biggest fish landed were not in the jackpot. 1rst place was a 29 and I got 2nd place with a 25.5 on the yoyo. Oh I lied we did see YFT we had a blind strike from 4 5lb baby's one of the anglers earned his coveted red rooster jacket for the trolling jackpot with a 5lb yft. I ended up with my limit for yellows. I realsed alot of rats that I bounced and handed quite a few to other anglers.

Again a big thumbs up to the captain and crew of the REDROOSTER3. I cannot say enough good about these guys. they worked there asses off, and did everything possible to get us on fish and retrieve as many from the dogs as possible.
I had a really good time,and would love to be out there as I type this report.

20190725_082342.jpg 20190725_083517.jpg 20190725_112110.jpg 20190725_143600.jpg 20190725_194440.jpg 20190727_062057.jpg 20190727_062114.jpg 20190727_093909.jpg 20190727_135656.jpg 20190728_190655.jpg 20190729_164155.jpg 20190730_073302.jpg 20190730_105946.jpg

Last edited:

BT3Steve

Throwin in the towel
Jul 13, 2017
Los Angeles/Culver City
Name
Steve
Boat
N/A
That's got to be a bit of a let down for a 5 day. Guess that's why they call it fishing. I'm on the 7 day that leaves 8/4. Any tips for me on the boat/fishing. They just informed us we're going to fish the LUPE. Probably due to the conditions you just reported. Thanks for the report.

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
The yellowtail bit the 30lb just. Most interest in the surface iron was mint color. Alot of blue/white or green /yellow yoyos I fished red on the yoyo. But I'm sure guadalupe will be a different fishery.

Reactions: BT3Steve

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
That's got to be a bit of a let down for a 5 day. Guess that's why they call it fishing. I'm on the 7 day that leaves 8/4. Any tips for me on the boat/fishing. They just informed us we're going to fish the LUPE. Probably due to the conditions you just reported. Thanks for the report.

The fishing definitely could have been better. But it was definitely not due to lack of effort. The captain and crew did everything thing possible to put us on fish

Reactions: BT3Steve

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
You are Bloody Wahoo on IG arent you =)

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
Good fishing with you. I need to paint more YoYo jigs with that glow in the dark green.

tommysdad

May 14, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jim
Boat
Parker 2320
Nice report. Great operation. My June RR3 8-day was canceled so I’m living vicariously through these updates. . .

Tar Pit

Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
Every trip I do on the RR3 Andy pulls something out in the bottom of the 9th.

Reactions: fly liner

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
You are Bloody Wahoo on IG arent you =)
Yep. Instagram got a report first because It is alot easier to post a few pictures and a short paragraph. Than to write a short story for the members of BD

Last edited:

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
Good fishing with you. I need to paint more YoYo jigs with that glow in the dark green.
The yellows sure did like them.

It was a pleasure to share the rail with you as well sir.

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
Looks like you missed the best part of the operation- Mike in the galley. Might be a good thing as you could have easily gained five pounds eating his gourmet meals.

pgangler

12Wt
Jul 25, 2012
Pacific Grove, Calif
Name
Ron
Boat
Was Cabo35, now RR3
x2 on Mike's food.

Looks like all of the fleet in 5-day range saw the same thing - almost 100% YT reports. Probably have to get to the Ridge or the Rocks (8-day) to break out of that mold right now.

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
Looks like you missed the best part of the operation- Mike in the galley. Might be a good thing as you could have easily gained five pounds eating his gourmet meals.
I would not have minded gaining a few pounds. To be honest. I didn't mention the food for a reason. I am not going to complain, but I am also not going to compliment. A few of the meals where good, others......... I guess it just wasn't what I expected. But she had a big ol pot of oatmeal ready every morning which was really nice. On a side note the galley was very well kept. And both galley hands where very respectful and accommodating.

Reactions: Warlord

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Yep. Instagram got a report first because It is alot easier to post a few pictures and a short paragraph. Than to write a short story for the members of BD
Yup I hear that. Great pics tho! And an even better report.